Advanced Search

MODS!!! Lets see em!!

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance MODS MODS!!! Lets see em!!

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 291 total)
  • Author
    Tommie
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 29

Rumor has it that WE is coming out with an adapter kit to lower the Gen 3 Pro, but it hasn’t been seen yet. You could do like others here, myself included and go to your local hardware store and pick up the necessary hardware and lower it yourself. Easy job.

Couldn’t we just get a higher chair, or a chair that has vertical adj? Reason is that such is easier to adjust vs. making a potentially permanent adjustment to the WE unit which changes depending on knife width, etc…

Well Pat, I could have spent $$ on a new chair, but for $2.00 worth on bolts and nuts I lowered the Gen 3 Pro. I can easily put the shelves back under it if I wished. And, it hasn’t changed anything about how the Gen 3 Pro sharpens knives, but has helped keep my back from hurting so bad.

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

Rumor has it that WE is coming out with an adapter kit to lower the Gen 3 Pro, but it hasn’t been seen yet. You could do like others here, myself included and go to your local hardware store and pick up the necessary hardware and lower it yourself. Easy job.

Couldn’t we just get a higher chair, or a chair that has vertical adj? Reason is that such is easier to adjust vs. making a potentially permanent adjustment to the WE unit which changes depending on knife width, etc…

I think you’re misunderstanding what is meant by lowering the gen. 3 pro. The relative positions of the arms and clamp are maintained while the shelving unit underneath the sharpener is removed. This makes it so the sharpener sits lower down on the bench or table making it a better working height for some users. It will have zero effect on the sharpening results.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant

This is the type of mod Tommie is talking about.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by Organic.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by Organic.
    8 users thanked author for this post.
    Brewbear
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 168

@Organic, nice video. For some strange reason I was under the impression that Clay was using the soapy suds on his stones in the one video I saw, but I think I like your way better (haven’t used it yet ) Any particular soap you’re using? Thanks.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant

That was a repost from @Alan. It is not my setup.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Pat
    Participant
    • Topics: 16
    • Replies: 114

I use alcohol spray to clean the diamond stones and lapping films.  Gets most of the stuff off.

Pat
    Participant
    • Topics: 16
    • Replies: 114

Actually, I wish the Gen 3 Pro would go wider.  Asymmetrical grinds have a very wide single sided bevel and even for an Emerson CQC 7, at the bottom setting, you have to end up going back to your Gen 2 at 35 degrees.

Anyone have thoughts how to use the Gen 3 pro for this?

• This reply was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by Pat.
    Alan
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 206

Wow. Haven’t seen that video in a long time, almost forgot that I made it! I just us a drop of regular dish soap with some water. I still do this and it works really well to keep the dust down and things clean. BTW, I received my Gen 3 Pro I think 5 years ago (not sure actually) and still using it today.. love it!

Alan

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Terry P
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 3

I just installed Ed’s adjuster kit and it’s as rock solid as that quartz base!  Thanks for the quick shipment.  As you can see, Doug’s rod stops show me I should have bought longer guide rods for the WE130.

Attachments:
    airscapes
    Participant
    • Topics: 19
    • Replies: 367

Terry, I would just use the stops at the bottom with the shorter rods assuming the knife is tall and long enough that it is needed.  You will just have to keep control of the upward motion so the bottom of the stone does not move above the bevel since the stone must extend off the rod when the rod is short and the knife is long.  You want to use as much of the stone as possible so it breaks completely so don’t use the stop as you have it picture at the end of the short rod.

Hope that makes sense

• This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by airscapes.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

I just received these new Strop Cover prototypes from Doug.  They are very nice and fit well.  They slide on and off easily with enough height between the covers and the leather strop strips to prevent contact and cross contamination but still cover and protect the leather.

Each strop handle/paddle pair has 4 strips of leather for 2 different grit strop compounds.  Therefor each strop handle/paddle pair needs 4 individual plastic strop covers:

Strop-Covers-side-1
    Strop-covers-edge-1

“airscapes” will share pricing and availability once he works out the printing details.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Attachments:
    3 users thanked author for this post.
    airscapes
    Participant

Thanks Marc!  Glad you like them and they achieved all the design goal you had in mind! I will post a link in Forum Makers Custom Accessories Post   

shortly with pricing.  I have zero made at this time so will be a bit of a delay for those who are interested.

Doug

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by airscapes.
    airscapes
    Participant

Expidia, you got the wrong guy.. NotSharpEnuff  makes those

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Just wanted to show off “NotSharpEnuff” custom made micro adjusters. I don’t know if he still makes them in all stainless, but they make zeroing in on the angles for me a dream especially without having to use an allen wrench for each adjustment. I’ve only done a few knives so far, but quite a nice upgrade over the adjusters that came with my Gen III Pro unit.

Expidia, with the large knurled thumb wheel locking the micro-angle adjusters you no longer need to use the nylon opposing locking screws also.  The wheel holds tight by itself.  Ed still makes these micro-angle adjusters.  The plastic thumb wheel models are much less expensive.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Terry P
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 3

I recently got the full “kit” for my new WE130 from Ed and I am extremely happy with it.  I got 4 guide rod stops and boots as well as the locks.  Very robust.   Your setup looks great!

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 291 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.