Advanced Search

Blade alignment in the clamp: sweet spot & constant bevel angle/width

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Advanced Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Blade alignment in the clamp: sweet spot & constant bevel angle/width

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 90 total)
  • Author
    Readheads
    Participant
    • Topics: 32
    • Replies: 308

Great stuff Graphite, are you an engineer ? A few of my thoughts:

1. You should read Anthony Yan’s work (link below) on this, you are doing the physical verification of his mathematical proofs. Watch the video (second link below) below for optimum placement on a specifically shaped chef knife, it is really cool. The movie simulation works only for that specific shape. Someone should write an app which would take a picture of a knife, do the math and tell/show you the optimum position.

2. Putting a rubber washer on the pivot rod (just the right inside dimension to allow you to slide it up and back down to the bottom, out of way, yet hold a position if you want) will allow for a radius reference while you tweak the position of the knife in the clamp.

3. I think you could just scribe the radius(es) into the current advanced alignment guide to show “optimum positions”.

4. Out of the box thinking – if you went back to the “pre-spherical bearing” days you might be able to integrate an adjustable cam to tweak the angle as you traversed the entire edge. This would yield an additional degree of freedom to approach perfect angles.

5. It would be pretty cool to integrate a dual axis inclinometer into the rod which would beep as you traversed the entire edge to give you optimum angle feedback.

5. A dual axis inclinometer (the current one is single axis and must be plumbed), would give you the angle data you need as you traverse to the entire length of the blade. Visual bevel “heights” are also a function of the blade thickness. If you want the same bevel height and bevel angle along the entire knife edge then the blade must be equally thick along the entire length (doesn’t happen), it’s a balance like everything.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5t7FJ9Zmj1hR29IeWQteHRXams

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qFEZRtyAcy20C1AFatt5XlmAeuYed-ag

2 users thanked author for this post.
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

If the drawing is held vertical from the vise, some of the error would be geometric because the arcs on the drawing are not in the same plane as those on the rod.   The rod only scribes a true radius on the cone of its rotation, so if you’d remove everything above the radius you’re checking, you’d see the mark on the rod following its matching arc.

Or am I FOS, as usual?

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Does it have anything to do with the pivot point is out to the side away from the plane of the arc board. You’re not drawing a flat circle or arc like you did with the beam compass, working down flat where your pivot point was at the center and on the same flat plane. You’re leaning into the cardboard at an angle before you touch it to draw your arcs.

Isn’t this exactly what Tom was saying? You could easily try it out by using a pencil attached to a rod, so that the rod is complete vertical.

Great subject, by the way, guys! The only thing I have to be wary of is not to make things too difficult for beginners to comprehend, so that the WEPS gets the impression of being a bit difficult in use (which it is not – but because we put so much emphasis on advanced things it might get).

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

The only thing I have to be wary of is not to make things too difficult for beginners to comprehend, so that the WEPS gets the impression of being a bit difficult in use (which it is not – but because we put so much emphasis on advanced things it might get).

I am whole hearted behind this statement.  Ever since all this need for in depth analysis and understanding the theory of exactly how it works is portraying and stimulating a lot of discussion and conversation far more complicated than it really is.  Any one who just dropped in to the middle of this looking to learn what the WEPS are all about could likely be scared off by the detail!

Many if not most users have simply clamped knives with a “sharpie” marker, to find the “sweet spot”, and have gone on to become very capable experienced sharpeners producing show stopping results.  With little more then the instruction book it came with, with the help of the Forum and time and practice I am one of these individuals.  The yearning for knowledge is important and certainly there is a place but lets not forget we don’t need to understand the mechanical theory, three dimensional trigonometry, dual axis geometry and motion dynamics to use a WEPS to sharpen a knife.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

4 users thanked author for this post.
    graphite
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 101

Keep in mind that the original objective was/is to see if it’s possible to develop a knife alignment jig FOR THE VERY REASON of simplifying the knife positioning down to an easy-to-follow and repeatable process (for beginners and experienced users alike). It’s to eliminate the guesswork and trial-and-error.

It’s looking like there is some family of curves drawn on this jig that will achieve that end, and the main unresolved question is, where should the center point of the circles be, relative to the top of the jaws? That’s important because it changes the slope of the arcs that are drawn.

Once we know the location of that center point, you can draw the “parallel” circles on the jig at any spacing, because they are just a guide for aligning the curved part of the knife.

But it’s also important to know how to handle the straight (or “straight enough”) part of the knife, and treating many knives as having 2 segments (a relatively straight segment and a curved segment) can greatly simplify the process for new users. This was an unexpected (for me anyway) observation that I wouldn’t have made if I had not undertaken this jig-building process.

MarcH’s observation that experienced users have been getting great results with the WE without this jig I think just speaks to there being a fairly wide range outside of the theoretical ideal where you get good results. And that makes a jig even easier to apply.

But (and this is important) the jig should be based on the correct theory (i.e. the correct center point). Once that is established, people can use the jig without needing to read the theory behind it.

I also think there’s merit to Redhead’s suggestion of putting a rubber washer on the rod and sliding it across the blade edge while moving the washer and varying the knife position. And this sounds similar to what Mark76 does already. But I think this circle contour jig is fundamentally safer (it’s static, with no sliding things across the blade edge), and potentially quicker (you just tilt/move the knife until it matches a curve on the jig), so I do think it’s worth seeing this through to a solution. If such a thing were available when I was shopping for sharpeners a month ago, it would have been bonus points for the WE sharpener.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

And this sounds similar to what Mark76 does already. But I think this circle contour jig is fundamentally safer (it’s static, with no sliding things across the blade edge), and potentially quicker (you just tilt/move the knife until it matches a curve on the jig), so I do think it’s worth seeing this through to a solution.

I completely agree, Graphite, I just wanted to make people aware who only read this forum scarcely (and there are quite a few of them) and then think “this must be complicated”. But you’re completely right it is not and it makes live easier.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

1 user thanked author for this post.
    SalisburySam
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 15

I admit that, upon first reading of this thread, my eyes glazed over and I saw little applicability for my own limited sharpening experience with WE.  I’ve gotten to the point where I can get a very sharp edge on my kitchen knives and that was my goal when I bought my WEPS.  But then I see other threads as well as this one that could be very useful to me in the future.  My current state of knives that are happily “much better than before” will over time become “not quite good enough” and that’s when I’ll re-read and possibly apply these more esoteric subjects to my own practices.

I understand how these topics COULD turn off potential buyers by implying a necessary and undesired level of complexity.  However, I believe most of us novices would view this thread as a process tweak to get to another level of expertise and better results as opposed to a requirement for even basic sharpening.  On the other hand, topics like this one demonstrate how advanced and innovative thinking can improve the process and maybe the overall system design…good things I think.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    graphite
    Participant

It would be fine with me if moderators want to move this thread into “Techniques and Sharpening Strategies” >> “Advanced Techniques and Sharpening Strategies” sub-forum. Maybe that would eliminate the angst some of you guys feel about it.

I just put it in the “Basic Techniques” sub-forum because I’m still a novice with the WE, and because the potential end result of using the jig could be considered a basic technique that helps new users. But granted, the intermediate theory steps in arriving at that end result–which is what most of the content of this thread has been concerned with–is not something uninterested new users need to read.

Marc H

This is the new home of  the thread started by forum member and contributor Graphite – “Blade alignment in the clamp: sweet spot & constant bevel angle/width”  It’s been agreed the level of discussion and theory involved is above a basic beginner’s level and possibly confusing.  The discussion is very worthwhile and should be continued as a very valuable tool and understanding of clamping method is being developed.  By no means is the understanding of this theory or discussion needed or necessary to use and operate any WEPS to it’s best potential.

We invite any and all contributions to this thread.  It was moved to, I believe, a more appropriate Forum Category to avoid confusing, new, inexperienced users, with the more advanced treatment of knife clamping discussion.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

graphite
    Participant

I read the relevant parts of Anthony Yan’s paper that Redheads referenced above in post #44099 (the first link). It’s quite an impressive body of work, and it’s too bad that Anthony is no longer posting.

In Anthony’s paper on pg 53 he summarizes the straight blade case (using a tanto blade with a straight main blade and a straight but angled tip portion) for all WE devices that use a spherical pivot joint (I believe this means GEN2 and beyond), “we conclude this chapter by noting that the current WEPS-GEN2 uses a spherical joint (spherical rod end) in its design, and can grind perfect dihedral angles both along the main edge and the tip edge of the tanto knife.”

The spherical ball joint is an important condition on that outcome. Without that condition (e.g. the GEN-1 WE doesn’t have a spherical ball joint) it’s not the case that straight and slanted blades will be ground at perfect dihedral angles regardless of left or right shift of the sharpening rods. I don’t recall that requirement listed in the discussions about straight blades and grinding perfect bevels, so I thought I’d note it here.

For the curved blade case, the theory says that the center point of the circle (shown in figure 6.8 on pg 65) is the (perpendicular) projection of the spherical ball pivot point (denoted as p in that figure) onto the plane defined by bisecting the blade along its centerline lengthwise (denoted as point q in that figure). This is equivalent to the plane that bisects the clamp down its centerline from a side view.

Now that we know the theoretical underpinning for the center point of the circle, we have to define some fixed reference on the vise for the purpose of drawing the smallest radius circle onto the circle contour jig and being able to mount the jig onto the vise relative to that reference, in a repeatable manner.

I’m going to use the line across the top of the vise jaws as that reference, but adding a quarter inch above that so that (once we cut out the vise outline from the jig) the circle is still visible. Without adding that quarter inch to the reference, the top of the smallest circle would be cut away along with cutting out the vise cutout.

With that in mind, here’s a graphic showing the measurements on my F&S Pro vise, which results in a radius for the smallest circle (relative to a point 1/4 inch above the top of the jaws) of 6.13”.  When making the circle contour jig, the vise cutout (in particular the part that rests on the top of the jaws) should be cut 1/4 inch below the high point of the smallest circle in order for the reference to translate back to the correct circle centerpoint position.

I assume the explanation for the 7” radius I originally thought was correct is simply that the cardboard cutout was flimsy and bent out of the plane of the knife when I was drawing the circles. But regardless of the reason, that wasn’t the correct radius and the resulting circular arcs would have been off.

I’d be interested if others could confirm my measurements on your vise. I’m not positive but I think some of the earlier vises might have different measurements for the centerpoint of the pivot joint relative to (a quarter inch above) the top of the jaws.

PS, the photo also includes my newly-minted platform to mount my F&S vise. It’s just 2 pieces of 3/4″ baltic birch plywood glued together (1.5″ thick) and I added a couple t-tracks for TBD future use.

Marc H

Graphite, I believe you’re trying to make a vertical chart or graph that’s mounted in the center of the vice perpendicular to the base.  Yes there are several different model or style clamps and the versions of these clamps have changed over the years with advancements in design and upgrades.  Also many of us have customized our vices with riser blocks and such.  That being said, I don’t believe there will be one board or chart that can be used universally on all vices or set-ups.

The thing I’m not following is doesn’t the arc or shape of the circle on your circular contour jig change depending on the angle you set your rod arms to?  So wouldn’t you need to recreate a circular contour jig at angle increments.  Isn’t the curve flatter as the angle is set higher or wider?  Or once you position the knife forward/backwards, up or down, to match one contour, the difference in the contour at different angles doesn’t matter?  Is my thinking wrong?

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

1 user thanked author for this post.
    graphite
    Participant

Graphite…I don’t believe there will be one board or chart that can be used universally on all vices or set-ups.

The thing I’m not following is doesn’t the arc or shape of the circle on your circular contour jig change depending on the angle you set your rod arms to? So wouldn’t you need to recreate a circular contour jig at angle increments. Isn’t the curve flatter as the angle is set higher or wider? Or once you position the knife forward/backwards, up or down, to match one contour, the difference in the contour at different angles doesn’t matter? Is my thinking wrong?

Marc, on your 1st point, I don’t know enough about the past WE models to comment on whether a universal jig is possible (and all bets are off with past models that did not have a spherical joint).

But I’d offer this thought to ponder: even assuming a model with a spherical joint, and even if the distance from the pivot point to our reference point of the top of the jaws (plus a quarter inch offset) is different on a couple different clamp models, all that would change is the radius of the smallest (lowest) semi-circle in the stack of semi-circles.

So I’m thinking, if you have a rigid “plate” that makes up the face of the jig (as in my prototype jig), and the jig has circles drawn for the newest 2017 version of the clamp, all you’d need (for other models) is an overlay sheet with circles of different radius of the smallest circle, and you’d just clip that overlay sheet of circles to the main jig plate if you have a clamp with different pivot-to-jaws distance.

Or at least, that’s what I’m doing for my original jig, where the circles were drawn with the wrong (7″ radius). I’m taking a sheet of paper, drawing new circles with radius 6-1/8″, and with scissors, I’m cutting out the top-of-jaw reference a quarter inch below the top of the smallest circle, and just clipping it over the top of my original jig, aligning it to that reference point.

On your question of whether changes in the angle bar setting negates the circles drawn for a given radius, maybe you could point to what in Anthony’s analysis would lead you to that? At the moment I’m not seeing it.

The angle bar setting is not a factor in determining the radius to our reference point on the vise, because changing the angle bar setting just moves the point p (in figure 6.8) in or out along the line h in the figure, and in turn changes the angle theta (the angle defined by the points q/r/p in figure 6.8). But what matters is the length d in that figure, and d stays the same even if you change the sharpening angle.

The point p is confined to being perpendicular to plane S because the pivot point p rides on a rod (the angle bar) that is fixed with that relationship by-design. So the point p is *always* the center of the circle (no matter what angle setting you choose, and no matter where you slide or pivot the knife in the vise). And for our purposes, I have (just for convenience) picked the top of the vise jaws plus .25 inches as our fixed reference so we can #1) first draw the circles of proper radius on the jig, and #2) align the jig to the reference point on the clamp in a repeatable way.

Alternatively, take a look at figure 6.9, or the animation in figure 6.10. If his software allowed you to vary the sharpening angle (so that point p moved in or out, along the line h), it would change the slope of the cone (which corresponds to the sharpening angle) but the circle radius remains the same. It’s independent of the distance h.

Many of you guys have probably read Anthony’s paper, and probably even discussed it with him when he was still posting, so please let me know if I’m not interpreting it correctly. Or if you see it the same as I see it, maybe you can offer some alternative description that would be clearer that what I described above?

edit to add: here’s a link to Anthony’s original thread: https://knife.wickededgeusa.com/forums/topic/geometry-and-kinematics-of-guided-rod-sharpeners/page/2/?start=80

graphite
    Participant

BTW, how come posts are appearing out of order? They used to be chronological, and now new posts sometimes get inserted in different places, earlier in time. Chronological is easier to follow and not miss new posts. Is there a setting I control that with?

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Graphite:  This was my first use of the “reply” button in a long time and like other forums, replies are now posted along with the post they are replying to.  This makes them appear out of order.  If we’re going to use the reply button, we’ll need to watch the dates and times.

Marc H

BTW, how come posts are appearing out of order? They used to be chronological, and now new posts sometimes get inserted in different places, earlier in time. Chronological is easier to follow and not miss new posts. Is there a setting I control that with?

The two posts where you stated it was OK with you to move the post to the Advanced Category and My post where we were doing it are now staying at the bottom.  I do not know why.  I’ll see if Chris B can shed some light on this issue.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 90 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.