Advanced Search

Super polished edges

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Photos Super polished edges

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 490 total)
  • Author
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Wow, that is beautiful Josh! I can hardly see the distinction between the bevel and the rest of the blade. How did you do that? (Even if there was no discernable shoulder to begin with, you must have been convexing at the blade side at really a low angle. Or so 😉 )

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Lordy, that’s beautifully done, Josh. I’m not worthy…I’m not worthy…

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Wow, that is beautiful Josh! I can hardly see the distinction between the bevel and the rest of the blade. How did you do that? (Even if there was no discernable shoulder to begin with, you must have been convexing at the blade side at really a low angle. Or so 😉 )

you guys are too kind. it’s nothing you couldn’t have done w/ the right tools! 😉

It was a 4-convex bevel that ranged from around 18-22 dps. I just spend about 5 min w/ the 14um strops making sure everything was blended nicely and the “non-visible” transition just happened… I was expecting a visible bevel line so that was a welcomed surprise!

Gib Curry
    Participant
    • Topics: 18
    • Replies: 240

you guys are too kind. it’s nothing you couldn’t have done w/ the right tools! 😉

It was a 4-convex bevel that ranged from around 18-22 dps. I just spend about 5 min w/ the 14um strops making sure everything was blended nicely and the “non-visible” transition just happened… I was expecting a visible bevel line so that was a welcomed surprise!

Yes, we’re too kind.

But, then again, you are just too good! B)

Beautiful, Josh.

~~~~
    For Now,

Gib

Φ

"Everyday edge for the bevel headed"

"Things work out best for those who make the best out of the way things work out."

Josh
    Participant

Hey Gib… in my continued “entertainment” reading in Verhoeven’s paper I found this:

” The author has found that for hardened steels final polishing with diamond is
    much more rapid than with alumina, and the 1 micron compound produces a surface that
    appears scratch free at the highest useful magnifications in an optical microscope
    (1000x)”

so we must be doing something wrong if we have to go sub micron to obtain a mirror finish!

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

That looks great Josh, nice work!

-Clay

Mark76
    Participant

That large secondary bevel is also very shiny. What did you use to polish it up?

Josh
    Participant

I didn’t polish the main face of the blade… It came like that

Chad Headlee
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 6

I have a pro pack 1 with the 1600 / 1200 ceramic, 14, 10, 5, 3.5, 1. .5 strops. After about 6 knives to break things in, I sharpened my Sebenza 21 and my XM-18 sclicer this weekend. These may not fit the definition of “Super Polished Edges”, but they sure look nice in person and they will slice phone book paper all day long!

Mark76
    Participant

These may not fit the definition of “Super Polished Edges”

Well, I think they do. Nice work!

Steve
    Participant
    • Topics: 21
    • Replies: 44

I have a pro pack 1 with the 1600 / 1200 ceramic, 14, 10, 5, 3.5, 1. .5 strops. After about 6 knives to break things in, I sharpened my Sebenza 21 and my XM-18 sclicer this weekend. These may not fit the definition of “Super Polished Edges”, but they sure look nice in person and they will slice phone book paper all day long!

Very nice edge pal. 😉

My short lived knife sharpening experience though tells me it will not be much use for much apart from slashing paper and shaving hair off your arm and legs? Lovley “looking” but not a long lasting edge when used for anything but slashing paper?

Steve

Josh
    Participant

So I got to play around with Tom’s custom made glass paddles w/ bronze bushings with 5um and 1um lapping films… I mirrored about two over the past few days using these and they turned out great!

Note that I didn’t try to get an absolutely scratches bevel and the tiny scratches can be seen in the right light, but they are definitely mirror. One issue I ran into was that, if you go to the strops after your stones or lapping film and just strop away into oblivion, you will tend to round your edge and it won’t be as sharp. Of course, I could have prevented even going to strops if I had just went from the 1um lapping film to my .3um film… Probably would have been one of my sharpest edges yet! I was being lazy and didn’t set up my other glass paddles yet… Oh well lol

Sorry for the image quality, especially the top one (blurry). oh, and i actually micro-beveled the bottom one w/ the 1k stones when it was all said and done… this one had a thick grind on it and IMO a polished edge only excels with a very thin edge(such as sub 15 dps).

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I think that a polished bevel is always a huge benefit. A polished edge, on the other hand, is not. Which goes hand in hand with the microbevel you put on the second blade. Exactly what the doctor calls for.

Josh: I am hugely jealous of the variety of beautiful blades you get to work on. And there’s no wonder at why. It’s where they belong.

Josh
    Participant

I think that a polished bevel is always a huge benefit. A polished edge, on the other hand, is not. Which goes hand in hand with the microbevel you put on the second blade. Exactly what the doctor calls for.

Josh: I am hugely jealous of the variety of beautiful blades you get to work on. And there’s no wonder at why. It’s where they belong.

I couldn’t agree more! I have found that if you are going to have an actual polished edge then you must have a pretty low angle for it to actually “push” through your medium… if it is above 15 dps you might as well forget any kind of efficiency. I love toothy for almost all tasks myself though =)

All you have to do is get a website and start advertising “Professional sharpening by hand on the Wicked Edge Precision Sharpener” w/ a few keywords on your site and then make the right connections online! =) It is nice that it goes to fund new “upgrades” and sharpening purchases as a side benefit!

Mr.Wizard
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 190

How do you get the tip that perfectly sharp? I always seem to round mine off at least a little. 🙁

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 490 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.