Advanced Search

Super polished edges

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Photos Super polished edges

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 490 total)
  • Author
    Jeffrey
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 2

That is an insane edge. Love it!!!! After reading the thread it looks like strops can hang with the super fine stones.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

That is an insane edge. Love it!!!! After reading the thread it looks like strops can hang with the super fine stones.

Here is a nice comparison page showing (some and more to be added soon) photos of the results of the various different stones and strops: Stones and Strops Comparison It really helps to illustrate the different kinds of finish and edge that leather and stones produce.

-Clay

wickededge
    Keymaster

Here are some more polished edges:

This is an ESEE belonging to Leo Mitchell. I used the following progression on it to achieve that finish:

Chosera: 400#, 600#, 800#, 1000#, 2000#, 3000#, 5000# and 10000#
    Strops: 1µm mono-diamond, .5µm mono-diamond, .25µm mono-diamond and .125µm CBN

-Clay

wickededge
    Keymaster

I documented the entire process of sharpening this knife with the Chosera stones on my blog here: Sharpening Blog

It’s a good tutorial on using the waterstones and on creating a convex edge with the sharpener.

-Clay

wickededge
    Keymaster

Here are a couple of knives that I just finished for Arthur Lynn in preparation for the PKA Show this weekend in Denver:

I love his Damascus patterns.

Attachments:

-Clay

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

What a super job you did on my knife Clay! And what an excellent site/forum you have developed my friend. The Choseras put a lovely polished edge on my ESEE-4! Now I wonder what the Shaptons will do on my Fallkniven TK2 and the PXL folder. I wait with bated breath mate.
    BTW, I love your avatar! 😆
    Congratulations Clay

Warmest regards
    Leo

wickededge
    Keymaster

Hey Leo,

Thanks for joining the forum! I have had a lot of fun working on your knives, all of which are beautiful pieces. I’m very excited to work on the Fallknievens. If I weren’t doing all the documentation and micro-photography, I’d take them with me to the knife show this weekend to work on there.

The avatar photo was taken at a Christmas event at Old Bent’s Fort. About a week or two before Christmas, visitors to the historic fort in La Junta, CO can go back in time 150 years to life at the seam between the Rocky Mountains and the Great Plains. The fort was the only point of safety and supplies along the Santa Fe Trail between Missouri and Santa Fe. The reenactments for the Christmas celebration are so authentic and the all the volunteers are wonderful people putting their heart and souls into the event. We try to go every year with my mother and the kids and it’s one of my favorite events of the year. So, that picture has special meaning for me.

-Clay

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

I will look forward to the knives whenever you are ready Clay!
    That picture made me chuckle because I used to have a hat like that when I lived in North Bay. It was so big that my little head seemed so miniscule. People used to smile when they would see me wearing it.
    That annual celebration sounds great…people should remember and celebrate their history. Just dawned on me that we have something in common…My major in university was philosophy and and a minor in history and in particular Ancient Egypt, Greece and Rome. I believe philosophy was one of your majors too.
    Good luck at the Blade show this week-end my friend.

Best regards
    Leo

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

What I meant to say…I look forward to seeing how the Choseras and the Shaptons work on my Fallkniven blades. The 1095 steel of the two ESEE knives is one thing but the 3G powder super steel of the Fallknivens is something else altogether. It will be interesting to see what stroke count will be like putting an edge on that stuff. Better have a drink of Gatorade ready as you sharpen those babies! LOL!;)

Cheers CLay
    Leo

What a super job you did on my knife Clay! And what an excellent site/forum you have developed my friend. The Choseras put a lovely polished edge on my ESEE-4! Now I wonder what the Shaptons will do on my Fallkniven TK2 and the PXL folder. I wait with bated breath mate.
    BTW, I love your avatar! 😆
    Congratulations Clay

Warmest regards
    Leo

wickededge
    Keymaster

Here is a CRKT I just finished with the Shapton stones:

Attachments:

-Clay

Mark
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 56

Very nice! As soon as I figure out my wifes camera I’ll post some of mine.

Mark
    Participant

Lets see if I did this right.

Spyderco Delica in ZDP-189 at 15 degrees.

Not the only knife I’ve done, But it’s my favorite.

Edit-Sorry the photo is so big. :blush:

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Leo James Mitchell
    Participant

Looks like an excellent piece of work to me Mark! Very well done. That is one lovely knife…I must examine the Spyderco catalog again and see if there is anything I want. Did you do that with the standard WEPS stuff or did you use the ceramic paddles along with the strops too?

Best regards
    Leo

Mark
    Participant

Thanks Leo! This one was done with the strops down to 3.5u. My next purchase is going to be the diamond sprays and balsa strops. (and the choseras, and whatever ubercool thing Clay comes up with next) All in the pursuit of the perfect edge.

Mark

wickededge
    Keymaster

Mark,
    That looks terrific!

-Clay

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 490 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.