Advanced Search

Super polished edges

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Photos Super polished edges

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 490 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

lookin good Clay! How long did that take?!

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

lookin good Clay! How long did that take?!

It took a few hours to do all five of them, especially reprofiling them down to 15°. Once that was done it went pretty fast. I guess maybe 3 hours total.

-Clay

wickededge
    Keymaster

Here are a few shots of a ZT0600 that Kyle just finished for a customer:

-Clay

Josh
    Participant

i think that last shot is most impressive! 😉 tell him that he did a great job!

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

There is that mercury edge beautiful !

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

Wow, that is amazing. My favorite is the first shot, in terms of photography. I think the last shot shows the mirror the best.

Clay, what is the steel and what progression. How long did you spend on it?

wickededge
    Keymaster

Wow, that is amazing. My favorite is the first shot, in terms of photography. I think the last shot shows the mirror the best.

Clay, what is the steel and what progression. How long did you spend on it?

Kyle spent the better part of a day on it. I think he started with the 600# diamonds, then on through 1000#, the ceramics, Choseras, diamond films and strops. He was having trouble getting some of the scratches out after getting down to .125um CBN on kangaroo so I suggested that he go back to the 14/10um strops because I often have my best success polishing by working up and down through the different grits of strops. He said that made the difference and was really impressed with how quickly it worked.

The steel is B75P.

-Clay

Spagery
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 30

Does a Polished Bevel equal a sharper Knife ?

Or is it really just an incidental cosmetic Bonus.

I think what is really important is the magic that is happening at the Edge. And I call it magic because I dont think the Science is fully understood.

We are at the limit of our Optical Resolutions of a normal microscope at .2 microns, about 200 nanometers.

And some of these sprays for stropping are below this threshold.

Basically the scratches that they make along the bevel and at the edge are soo small that light will not reflect off them. Essentially making them invisible to a bright field microscope. And to the human eye, this is where the mirror effect comes from.

Things start to get strange at this Nano Level.

What do we really know about what is happening at the edge with these very small micron sprays ?

Geocyclist
    Participant

Hey Spagery,

Yes, a polished edge makes a knife sharper as far as there is less friction (less scratches) so it cuts easier. Could a human in every day cutting task tell a difference between a blade stropped to 10 micron vs. 0.0001? I doubt it.

So for me on my good knives with super steel I spend the extra time, both for looks and sharpness. For lesser knives that require more frequent sharpening I don’t waste the time getting a mirror edge.

However, there is a great deal of conversation about what “sharp” means, and how do you measure it. A toothy edge (just from 1000 diamonds) may cut a tomato better since the teeth grab the skin like a saw. A very polished edge doesn’t – especially if you push cut vs. saw cut.

drew
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 20

Here are a few shots of a ZT0600 that Kyle just finished for a customer:

if I could ever get to that level myself … I think i’d have a heart attack. I am still working on getting that amazing of a polish on mine.

Geocyclist
    Participant

Clay, I just looked at the WE home page. You need some of these money shots on the home page, especially the one with the mirror edge on top of the WE instruction book.

You almost could have a tab called results or part of the demo tab showing these photos. That and I never get tired of watching videos of phone books being push cut.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Clay, I just looked at the WE home page. You need some of these money shots on the home page, especially the one with the mirror edge on top of the WE instruction book. You almost could have a tab called results or part of the demo tab showing these photos.

+1

That and I never get tired of watching videos of phone books being push cut.

We probably suffer from the same disease 😛 . If you know a good psychologist, please let me know 😉

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Josh
    Participant

Just finished this up yesterday… Convexed mirror. This is the Bush Knife by Jeff White. Surprisingly there was no discernable shoulder to the bevel since it was already naturally convexed by Jeff White all the way to the edge. I stropped the junk out of it at the 14 and 10 up, then finished up on the 5/3.5 after my 5k choseras.

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

Great job also a great looking knife!

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

That is quite the shine!

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 490 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.