Advanced Search

Stone Stops with rebound caps and Nylon screw

Recent Forums Main Forum Pass Around and Buy / Sell / Trade Want to Sell Stone Stops with rebound caps and Nylon screw

Tagged: 

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Excellent post once again Marc. What can I use for stops until I get some of airscapes? Ill be ordering some from him ASAP.

Anything that limits the sliding, that you can imagine.  It can be as simple as rubber bands!  I originally used faucet repair washers I had found at Home Depot on the plumbing aisle.  As long as it inhibits your motion when you feel it you’ll stop.  If it’s not a solid stop it’ll still cause you to stop you’re stroke.

Originally the upper stop was what I needed.  To stop me from going up and off the knife edge during my fast up and down scrubbing strokes I employ to profile the bevel angles.  I started looking for something to use after I brought the stone down onto and against the apex with force a couple times.  It was enough to ding some knife edges badly,  I had been sharpening really nicely.  It was a real disappointment to have to go back and start again. To remove extra steel to repair the knife.

When we started using longer guide rods as a regular practice when sharpening  with accessories like the W.E. low angle adapters, LAA or the Tormek small knife adapters, it became necessary to use the lower stops to hold the stone up higher in the resting state.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Tommie
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 29

Well, I have ordered some longer guide rods so I better get get moving on this. Thanks again for explaining this for me. 👍🏻

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I made a set of “down” stops out of a piece of 3/4″ round rod.  Mine was plastic, but you could make it out of wood dowel stock, aluminum or whatever you can find.  I cut two each of 5, 10, 15 and 25 mm, then drilled holes thru them (1/4″ to 5/16″).    The combinations let you stack them in 5 mm increments from 5 to 55 mm.

Tommie
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 29

Great idea tcyeyer. I found some rubber o-rings yesterday at the hardware store that I think will work until I get my set from Doug. He should be mailing them to me today. I’m going to be out of town this weekend, so I want be able to start having fun with my WE until next week. That will give all the other stuff I have on order time to arrive as well. My wife is going to scold me good when it all starts rolling in.  🙂

1 user thanked author for this post.
    airscapes
    Participant
    • Topics: 19
    • Replies: 367

Thanks Tommie! US postal First Class package is almost as fast as Amazon Prime to most locations, so your wife will will probably start cussin you on Tuesday or Wednesday! 😉

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Richard
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 183

Excellent post once again Marc. What can I use for stops until I get some of airscapes? Ill be ordering some from him ASAP.

What I used for several months was to just wrap the rod in that blue 3M painter’s tape.  LOL  It works great in a pinch.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    airscapes
    Participant

I would like to thank everyone who has purchased my stone stops as well as those who have posted how much they like them.

Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year !

6 users thanked author for this post.
    Howard Schwartz
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 5

hbschwartz@gmail.com

I want to order slide stops.
    thanks.

airscapes
    Participant

I regret to announce 2/13/2020 I will have to raise the price of my stone stops to $4 each.  The top of this thread has been updated to reflect the new price.

So 4 stops with shipping are now $21, ($16 + $5 postage).  If you happen to purchase Eds adjusters he stocks them and they are the same price from him but you will save on double shipping.  Thanks for your support and interest in my accessories.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    TKC
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 2

Thank you airscapes, love the product, super excited to continue using them.

Mark
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 8

I bought a set of 4 of these. Great addition to the system. Right now, I’m using just one on the bottom of each rod. This prevents the possibility of going below the bevel and scratching the knife. Buy them, you won’t regret it. Great feedback and shipping from airscapes

srenovo
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 3

Dear Doug,

I would like two sets

Jim Redos aka srenovo

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Welcome to the W.E. Forum, srenovo.

Click airscapes .  This will refer you to the the forum private messaging feature. Click the orange “Private Message” button to compose a message for “airscapes”.  Include your email address.  He’ll respond.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Paxsman
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 3

I grabbed a set of stops a few weeks back. After using them several times I am constantly impressed at the simplicity and durability of these little guys.  Not only do they keep me from scratching the knife blade they make setting the angles a snap by consistently holding the stones in the same spot.  Great product at a great price.  Easily worth the cost of admission.
    Thanks!!!

3 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.