Advanced Search

Welcome to the [WordPress] forum

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat Welcome to the [WordPress] forum

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 98 total)
  • Author
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I see that we now have a “Go To Top” selector that appears in the lower right corner of the forum.  Has this been there all along, or did I just notice it today?

And can we add a blink feature to the PM indicator?  I sit really close to a large widescreen and the indicator is somewhat out of my field of view.  As it is, it’s still hugely better than what we had.

DeeR
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 20

How do I send a PM on this new format?  Could do them on the old format but have been trying to figure it out on the “WordPress”  without success. Sure it’s simple but I haven’t got it yet. Thanks for any help.

tcmeyer
    Participant

Dee:  Under each commentor’s username, you’ll see the little orange cartoon dialogue balloon.  Clicking on that ought to give you the proper pm dialogue box.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 427

Been here two weeks. I have asked every single day for help Creating a New Post ( actually a new thread )… Ive cut an pasted the error message, have consistently tried to give feed back and help. Its as If I am invisible on this forum…
    Here is an actual screen shot, feel free to ignore this too.

developer (ChrisB)
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 52
    • Replies: 263

Please use the forum drop-down (shows “(No Forum)” in the image) to select the appropriate forum. This should prevent the error from appearing.

I agree that this is confusing, and we have it logged to make it a more intuitive process.

Working to make knife.wickededgeusa.com a great forum!

developer (ChrisB)
    Keymaster

Regarding the performance problems, i.e. slow page loads. We’ve made a change on the backend that should speed things up quite a bit. We’ll keep an eye on it, but it is looking successful. Apologies for the slow performance.

CliffCurry
    Participant
    • Topics: 42
    • Replies: 461

Great job, seems much faster already, even from mobile phone page loads in juSt a few seconds now. Thx Chris!

developer (ChrisB)
    Keymaster

Putting out a ‘heads up’ notice about another pending change, coming soon. We’ll replace the orange text with blue text; we’ve found it easier to read. Exact timing is tbd.

tcmeyer
    Participant

It’s blue!  It’s blue!  tbd is about 5 hours or so.

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

I like the blue text a lot better. Thanks, Chris!

There’s still some unnecessary white space to be gained, however. Look at the picture below. The word “am” takes up an entire line and this is the case for many of the posts.

Screenshot

An now we’re on the subject, I would love a counter that shows how many new posts there are per thread, as many other forums have,

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

CliffCurry
    Participant
    • Topics: 42
    • Replies: 461

Blue is a winner! Mobile Web page browsing is clean & much faster. 🙂

Chris are you planning on similar features as before like Thank yous, emoticons, and maybe page breaks?  Not sure if new format can support those kind of extras?

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Don’t act like you guys are the only ones still up this late at night! ? that’s when us night owls get the most done!

Blue is sweet!

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Something else I like about this forum is that it’s much harder to accidentally delete an entire thread when you’re a mod. This has happened twice to me on the old forum…

(And Josh, it’s 10.38 am here right now 😀 .)

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

developer (ChrisB)
    Keymaster

I’m glad the blue is an improvement! As always, thanks for the feedback.

Mark, thanks for pointing out the lengthy date format. We’ve switched that to a shorter format (MM/DD/YYYY).

• See below for a screengrab from our dev (beta) site where we try things out before applying them here.
      • Let me know if you like the gray border around each reply.
      • We’re experimenting with a navigation widget (red circle, lower right) that allows you to jump to the top of the page, or elsewhere. It’s got more functionality than the current ‘back to top’ arrow.
      • We’re also trying to bring back the ‘Thanks’ functionality. You can see it in this screengrab, but it’s pretty hidden, and we would like to show the sum of Thanks for each author. Adding this ‘Thanks’ functionality is probably a longer-term project.

2015-12-04_06-27-54

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 427

Please use the forum drop-down (shows “(No Forum)” in the image) to select the appropriate forum. This should prevent the error from appearing. I agree that this is confusing, and we have it logged to make it a more intuitive process.

AS I said, this forum is difficult to navigate, but I was finally successful in posting a topic. Ive been doing this stuff for a very log time. ( part of the problem ) .

This method of posting a new Topic is not typical of my many years of experience with forum software. At least now I can help other who may find this a problem for them as well.

The problem that I see, is you have to select the actual forum in the drop down. IN any other forum that I have been involved with over the last 30 years. is, if you are actually in a forum and want to add a new to0pic within that forum. you don’t have to take an extra step to select a forum. In other words, if you are in a forum already, you just have to go to the ( add a topic ) link within that forum, and type your topic and comment and hit submit.

It took a while to figure it out, but I’ve now got it.

I think now I can be a significant contributor

Bill aka ET.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 98 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.