Advanced Search

Vise and Low angle adapter issues

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Vise and Low angle adapter issues

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    000Robert
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 406

My vise clamps and LAA has worked great on every knife I have reprofiled/sharpened so far. But I always clean the oil off of the blades with alcohol first and put painters tape on them.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

When we redesigned the jaws and added the center split and the tension adjust, we redesigned the pads so that they now slope continuously as seen in Precept’s photos.

For those in this thread with the more noticeable pads from the earlier design – can you confirm that you are able to get a better grip on thin blades with parallel sides and with the Low Angle Adapter?

Clay this is the original thin steel alignment guide, that came with the very first W.E. I started with years ago…a Pro Pack 2 with the Standard Vice WE120 Setup.  I cannot confirm “I’m getting a better grip”.  I don’t think I have any basis for comparison to something else.

This 0.5mm, thin parallel sided strip of steel, clamps and holds tight enough with the early design jaw set, (with the tensioner set to the lightest setting), that I’m able to lift this WE130 mounted to the granite base, up off the table.  You can see I didn’t need to use tape or a chamois to enhance the thickness so it would hold tighter. The LAA holds just as securely.

The jaw set will clamp and hold phone book paper strips tightly, with out slipping, when tugged in all directions.

Original-Alignment-Guide

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Attachments:
    1 user thanked author for this post.
    Frans
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 83

We’re currently working on a new design for the jaws to solve the issue

Perhaps you should look at the V-shape solution that Work Sharp uses in their new Precision Adjust system which centers and holds the spine of the knife when clamped in the jaws.

Frans

Attachments:
    Marc H

When we redesigned the jaws and added the center split and the tension adjust, we redesigned the pads so that they now slope continuously as seen in Precept’s photos.

For those in this thread with the more noticeable pads from the earlier design – can you confirm that you are able to get a better grip on thin blades with parallel sides and with the Low Angle Adapter? 

Clay I can say based on the shared experience from the W.E. users to which I gifted my first original Gen 3 vises, the first version released.  That vise version without the tensioner feature or the split jaws, does not hold a clamped knife as tightly and securely as this current version gen 3 vise does with the split jaw set and tensioner feature.  (Even with the tension setting turned all the way to (-)).

That is, the current version vise/jaws included and used with the Gen 3 model version being sold and shipped now, included with the WE130, the Pro Pack 3, the Gen 3 Pro and the Commercial Series sharpeners, clamps knives tightly and securely.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

000Robert
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 406

Clay I can say based on the shared experience from the W.E. users to which I gifted my first original Gen 3 vises, the first version released. That vise version without the tensioner feature or the split jaws, does not hold a clamped knife as tightly and securely as this current version gen 3 vise does with the split jaw set and tensioner feature. (Even with the tension setting turned all the way to (-)). That is, the current version vise/jaws included and used with the Gen 3 model version being sold and shipped now, included with the WE130, the Pro Pack 3, the Gen 3 Pro and the Commercial Series sharpeners, clamps knives tightly and securely.

I know that mine clamps great! No complaints here. It even holds my M7 bayonets well that are pretty heavy. I am reprofiling them.

M7-3a

Attachments:
    Readheads
    Participant
    • Topics: 32
    • Replies: 308

This is a repeat of the post that I put in the second thread that was started on this:

I think that the root cause of your issue is that the current jaws no longer have the square flats on them (see pic). I have the Field version from ~5 years ago. I setup my kitchen knife to check for wiggle and there is none either with my chamois insert or without it. I use the chamois to protect the knife surface from nasty little marks due to clamping. I also designed a simple fixture to handle flexible knives and low angles – cost = $5. No wiggle there either.

Jaws-1
    chamois2-1
    High-rise-1

Attachments:
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

To add a correction to my earlier post, I erred in saying that both of my Gen 3 vises had the vertical slit – in fact, one does and the other, being an earlier design, does not.  Both hold my collection of knives securely, except that the vise without the slit does not do well with the smallest, most steeply angled knife as shown in this photo:

Untitled photo

The vise with the slit (and flat corner pads) holds the same knife very securely.

tcmeyer
    Participant

Further proof that one shouldn’t be blathering in forums about things they’re not absolutely sure of.  And yes, I’m talking about myself. I disassembled my Gen 3 Pro last night for the first good cleaning in a couple of years. I was gobsmacked to see that my vise with the slits does indeed have the same design pads as the OP.  My apologies to Clay and the OP.

I went back and reviewed the earlier posts and noticed one by airscapes where he suggested that maybe the jaws precept has are actually the 1/4″ jaws.  Precept responded that no, he had the regular jaws.  My question now is, how does he know this?  Without a pair on jaws known to be one or the other to compare to, I wouldn’t know the difference.  Could WE have possibly made a mistake and shipped his unit with the wrong jaws?

Could somebody with both jaws please post a photo showing the two jaws side by side?

Precept
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 8

I have both jaws. 1/4” are packed. Regular are installed. Sorry can’t take pics now

tcmeyer
    Participant

Did you check to make sure that you have the right jaws installed?

Readheads
    Participant
    • Topics: 32
    • Replies: 308

I think the new design of extending the original 1/4″ flat square bosses all the way down the jaws may introduce minimal planar contact to the 2 knife faces depending on the geometry of the knife and the as-machined flatness of the extended new bosses. There also needs to be sufficient “self correcting play” within the jaw assembly to “find” sufficient contact. This can be tested by inserting a metal shim of x thickness across the top 1/4″ of the jaws on both sides and see if the wiggle is eliminated.

Marc H

Readheads, just to be clear, Clay and W.E. are always working on and striving to advance and improve their current designs and sharpener models.  He is not currently actively working to design a new vise and jawset to overcome a holding/clamping problem being experienced by some W.E. users.  The vise introduced some maybe 3 years back for this current model Gen 3 vise, the one with the integrated tension adjuster, is the most versatile and tightest holding vise setup W.E. has produced, marketed and sold to date.  This jawset design is the same original design included and sold with every Gen 3 vise setup since W.E. first introduce this model version.  This combination’s main limitation, up till now, has been dificulties clamping thicker knives.  This is why the optional 1/4″ jawset is offered.

Precept’s wobble issue is bewildering to those of us experienced W.E. users who participate regularly on this forum because this is the first time hearing such a complaint.  The knife holding ability, stability and secure grip of this current design, for this Gen 3 Vise is the best functioning vise/jaw combination of all previous models W.E. has produced and sold, till now.  Bar none… I have used every model produced in at least the last 6 years.

IMO, this tapered pad jawset with the vertical center split that is there to allow these jaws to grip tighter and flex to conform to thin and tapered ground knives better then any predecessor models.  That’s not to say there aren’t design changes that may possibly result in an even better functioning jawset, sometime in the future.  A redesign is a long slow and expensive process.  It’s a big deal when machining precision interchangeable parts. Then it takes a long time and a lot of testing and trials to determine if indeed, the new design is truly better.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

4 users thanked author for this post.
    TeeK
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 1

I acquired my WE130 this December and came here looking for a solution to the exact issue as shown in Precept’s video. Glad to know I’m not an anomaly and posting to let it be known Precept is not an anomaly, either.

As a solution, perhaps a simple Delrin sleeve to fit over the end of the LAA that goes into the vice to eliminate the gap between the end of the LAA and the vice jaws would be viable and cost effective for everyone experiencing this… or the the part of the LAA that goes into the vice is left thicker so the vice jaws only move by the thousandths so the base of the LAA is in contact when inserted?

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by TeeK.
Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.