Advanced Search

Oops, how did I just make these scratches?

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Basic Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Oops, how did I just make these scratches?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Haffner
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 29

I use four 1/4 inch Shaft Collars to control the movements of my paddles.

1/4 Sharft Collar

They work so well, I think they ought to be available as a standard Wicked Edge accessory.

Attachments:
    2 users thanked author for this post.
    Expidia
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 339

Do they lock to the rods?  If so they would be great for the top stop too which would prevent the paddle from flying off the rod on an upstroke.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Haffner
    Participant

Do they lock to the rods? If so they would be great for the top stop too which would prevent the paddle from flying off the rod on an upstroke.

Yes, they do!

Expidia
    Participant

Do they lock to the rods? If so they would be great for the top stop too which would prevent the paddle from flying off the rod on an upstroke.

Yes, they do!

And Haffner, thx for that link.  I just picked up 8 of them (4 for a gift to an office mate fellow WE user).  With free 2 day shipping too!

Haffner
    Participant

Yes, they do!

And Haffner, thx for that link. I just picked up 8 of them (4 for a gift to an office mate fellow WE user). With free 2 day shipping too!

Great! I don’t think you will regeret it… I hope you wil post your experiences with them.

BTW, “free 2 day shipping”. You don’t want to know, what shipping to Denmark costs, but I’ll tell you, it sure ain ‘t free! And som products don’t even ship to Denmark…

And then there is customs and tax: 25 USD + 25% VAT!

Life ain ‘t cheap…

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by Haffner.
    Expidia
    Participant

Haffer, they already arrived.  Company is in the next state over from mine.  These are great. Well made and the allen screw head to lock them to the rods is the same size as the lower screw on the LAA.  You saved me from having to spring for 12 inch rods plus their shipping charge.  I already bought the 10 inch ones but was going to buy the 12 inch ones when I use the LAA with a narrow or long blade.

Clay:  you should check these locking collars out that Haffer linked to above and think about offering them as an accessory rather than using rubber bands.  They can be used above or below to limit the stones travel.  These collars eliminate scratching a knife when the stone’s ends slip above or below the edge, especially with an LAA.

I’d be happy to send you two to try out as I bought 4.  I can use the spacers until you send them back to me.  I’m sure if you call the company they would send you a few to try out too.

Haffner
    Participant

What a great idea, Expedia! A set of four Shaft Collars will be a very cheap and useful accessory. You could even add a set of thick rubber o rings, that can reduce the shock, when the stones hit the collars. I’m sure this accessory will be a great help to many users, and they will get much more out of their sharpener by using the collars.

As Expedia has shown, the use of collars below the stones will prevent you from making some terrible scratches on the sides of the blades.

Before I started using the collars above the stones, they would sometimes move to high, and when I lowered the stones again, the bottom side of the stones would hit directly into the apex of the blade. This really damaged the apex, and I would have to go back several grits to repair the edge.

By using the collars, I can utilize a much larger area of the stones and I can break in the whole stones evenly.  I also experienced, that the collars enable me to grind a lot faster, because I don’t have to worry about how far the stones will travel. This allows me to focus more on other aspects of the sharpening, such as using the right amount of pressure and removing the same amount of metal on both sides of the edge, so I get a nice even edge.

I am sure Clay can make another excellent instructional video showing the benefits of using the four clamp collars.

Haffner
    Participant

An argument against offering a set of four shaft collars as an accessory could be that there are so many different collars out there, and the users should be able to choose the ones that they like the most.

But this is not the issue here. By offering the collars as an accessory, you save the users from having to wonder which collars will do the job and perhaps acquiring some in the wrong dimension etc.

The Digital Angle Gauge is also offered as an accessory and I think it’s a good idea for the same reasons.

Another really useful accessory is the Boker Knives Wiha Toolkit Hex Bit Driver 09BO701. This driver is much better then the ordinary Allen keys, and you avoid damaging the hex screwheads.

I’m sure these new accessories will make a lot of the users here enjoy their Wicked Edge sharpener a lot more.

Attachments:
    Haffner
    Participant

Another great accessory would be at set of Black Axle Boots like these:

Black-Axle-Boots

So many users use them already to protect the ball joints from diamond dust from the stones, so why not offer them as an accessory? Once again you can save the users a lot of time because they don’t have to search for the right ones and perhaps buy some that are less than optimal.

You can even get them in different colors, but I’ll leave it up to Clay to decide which ones fit the sharpeners best:

Red-Rubber-Axle-Boots Blue-Rubber-Axle-Boots

Attachments:
    Brewbear
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 168

I like the idea of the stubby hex set but does the WE system use metric or SAE screws?

MarcH
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2733

Guys, these are accessories you just learned about, just started using and now boast about.  Many of us who were here, long before you and me, have been already using these same or similar accessories for a long time.  These products are easily and readily available from a multitude of sources at very competitive prices, including China.

Why do you think Wicked Edge should get involved with these products and distract them from what they do best, offering high end, high quality, precision knife sharpening hand tools?  Just keep sharing your ideas and posting links to your sources so others can get these accessories if they choose to.  We’ll leave Wicked Edge to do what they do best, without wasting their time.  We’ll continue to order these accessories from the businesses that are in the business to sell them.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

4 users thanked author for this post.
    MarcH
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2733

Brewbear, Wicked Edge uses SAE.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Expidia
    Participant

Haffner, one other note.  When using your locking collar idea I would still use a rubber flat washer over the bottom ones to absorb the shock.

And I for one, appreciated your link to those locking collars.  I’ve never seen a mention of this collar in past threads.  If I did as I’ve already mentioned, it would have saved me the expense of having to replace a $167 (with shipping) Chris Reeve blade.

And Haffner, thanks again for your input to “my” thread.  Its nice to see others sharing ideas here.  Its what makes a great forum rather than input just from just the same few contributors :o(

Whats the weather like in Denmak?  I’m in upstate NY and it’s around 50 today.  Nice to finally see it warming up as we enter May here in the states.

Attachments:
    Expidia
    Participant

Update: Clay you were right about Josh from Razor Edge Knives (REK) ability to save the blade that I scratched up by not using bottom spacers on my rods so my paddles can’t slip off the bottom edge and scratch the blade.

I’m a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to my collectable folders so I sprung for a new blade for $150 plus shipping.  But when they sent the old scratched blade back I first took a shot with my Dremel and some polishing compound and I removed maybe 1/2 of the surface ones.

Then I sent it off to Josh to see what he could do.  I found that Josh runs a very well run sharpening business. He  emailed me an estimate of $55 and it came out even better than I expected. His turn around time was 2 weeks.  I had to wait 5 weeks just for CRK to replace the blade.  I posted pics on one of the CRK forums and it sold for $110 in all of 13 minutes!

I had $232 into this blade debacle and I was happy to recover a portion of my loss by using Josh from your tip!

Here are the before and after shots … my work vs his.  He was also nice enough to tell me what he used to do it with.  His invoice said 400 grit and I asked him what 400 grit medium he used.  He said he did it on his belt grinder which is the only thing that works with the blades curvatures.  $55 is cheaper than me buying a belt grinder for sure :o)

Attachments:
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

Yep, Josh is a total pro.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.