Advanced Search

Oops, how did I just make these scratches?

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Basic Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Oops, how did I just make these scratches?

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Expidia
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 339

True Dat!  It’s not only his sharpening abilities.  It’s how he has his business down pat from start to finish.  His communication etc.  Just a pleasure to send him a knife to work on.

Robert
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 11

Wow! Josh did a great job!

Expidia
    Participant

Ya, it’s even better than that pic as I noticed I left a thumb print on the blade after I posted the pic.  Part of the reason it re-sold so fast is I’m sure the buyer bought it with the confidence that it was corrected by Josh (a professional) and not me, which I had described in my ad as to why I was selling it.

Chris Reeve Knife buyers are a fanatical even cult like group which really keeps the after market resale values steady.  I started with Benchmade and re-sold most of them in favor of collecting the CRK brand. Certain CRK’s actually appreciate in value. Aftermarket Benchmade values can drop by 50%.

Just as with the selling of this blade which CRK frowns on this because they won’t sell you a blade separately as they have you send it back into them to custom fit  their washers and blade to their handles in order to keep each knife’s integrity and tight tolerances intact for the next buyer of a used CRK.

I’d love to send Josh one of  my CRK’s just to see how much better his mirror edge might be over my own work.

Robert
    Participant

I have four CRK two Sebenza 21, an Inkosi and a Mnandi.  Now that the Sebenza 31 is out I want one.  I have yet put a CRK on the WE, still training on junk knives.  I use one of the Sebenza as my EDC and since Sebenza means work, it get plenty of it. Right now I’m just hand stropping it with the green compound and it cuts good enough for me doing EDC task.

Expidia
    Participant

I feel ya on attacking your CRK’s.

I practiced on 30 kitchen knives first.  I have 15 and did them twice before touching a CRK.  I bought the WE because CRK’s factory grind sucks.  They run each edge side a few seconds on a grinder.  Owners don’t kniw any different as they don’t know how sharp the WE puts onto an edge.  And I mirror all of them.  Tip: if your stones are new its going to take 30 knives at least to wear the stones in as they leave deeper scratches when they are new especially on the hard premium CRK steel.  Once you sharpen one if you screw it up just send it into CRK and they Spa and sharpen it for free.  BUT you lose it for 4-6 weeks and they nail you $17 to ship it back by slowPS which takes a week. Another reason why I needed to learn WE.   Here is a pic of my current  CRK collection:

Attachments:
    1 user thanked author for this post.
    Robert
    Participant

That’s a beautiful collection, mine is not that good looking. Bottom Sebenza 21 is my EDC, I kind of like the worn in look of the scales. I think it gives the knife some character.  I had a Sebe 21 one tanto blade, black micarta inlays, I did not like the way it felt in my hands so I sold it.

Thanks for the tip! Yes my stones are still going through the break-in process and I’m using that to gain experience on the WE.  Forum member Marc help me with my stone progression which helps tremendously.

Reading about the mistake on your blade and cost of repair has taught me a lot, and I bet others that read this thread.

Ooops, Image is upside down not sure how to fix it.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by Robert. Reason: Image upside down
    Attachments:
    1 user thanked author for this post.
    Expidia
    Participant

Sweet collection Robert.  I especially like the bottom one with the ? Sargent and the stone.

I bought 3 Manandis and caught and released. I see no purpose for them other than an expensive tool for cleaning under your fingernails :o)

I like plain Janes but they scratch so easily.  All CRK’s scratch.  CRK can refinish a PJ for free. They won’t re finish anything with inlays as they will break trying to remove them from their two sided tape.  Just don’t put KEYS in the same pocket as any CRK…. ask me how I know this haha. I had 2 PJ’s and I sold one to a friend and gifted the other one to my son.  I think the wood inlays when bought at a decent price appreciate in value.

Expidia
    Participant

Robert I sent you a PM so as to keep this thread back on topic.  There is actually a “knife specific forum” under the main forums tab to discuss various knives.  I strayed

Frank Bridge
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 1

I purchased four of these 1/4 inch shaft collars from Ruland.  They were beautifully and accurately made.  I have three sets of rods, WE-furnished 8 inch and 12 inch, and a third party’s 13 inch rods.  The Wicked Edge furnished factory rods have a diameter of 0.256 inch along their entire lengths (measured with a dial caliper), and the Ruland collars will NOT fit onto those rods, even if you remove the locking screw.  But…the Ruland 1/4 inch locking collars fit perfectly onto the third party’s rods, and my micrometer showed that they measured exactly 0.250 inches.  So this is not Ruland’s fault.

I have no idea for Wicked Edge’s reason for engineering 0.256 inch rods, which work just fine to sharpen my knives.  Fortunately, the stop collars are probably most useful on the 13 inch rods.

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Frank, W.E. moved to these larger diameter guide rods to improve the precision and tolerances.  This change was done when W.E. moved to a new style, new plastic material, sharpening stone paddle handles.  This increased guide rod diameter has reduced the space between the paddles and the guide rods to reduce the wobble or slop we once experienced.  According to Clay, the company’s owner, it was not done to make the guide rods and paddles a “proprietary” size but simply to improve the precision of the WEPS.  IMO based on my sharpening experiences and outcomes the precision has indeed, improved.  The downside is a standard 1/4″ locking collar no longer fits the new guide rods.  I too, had the same issue with these 1/4″ lock collars.

Forum member “airscapes” makes and offers for sale an inexpensive tool-free stone stop lock collar that he makes in the dimensions to fit both these new guide rods and the older rods also.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

4 users thanked author for this post.
    William Manewal
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

Wish I’d read this thread before searching for “blade scratches”!

I had to do quite a bit of scrubbing with the 100 grit to change the angle of a new EDC from the factory 22 deg to my preferred 18 deg. To clamp the ZTC 0450CF, I had to use the LAA and had no clue about using stoppers. My stones have a lot of use, so loose grit from new ones is not the issue here.

What’s puzzling is that only one side is scratched. How could this happen??

Luckily this is a personal knife, and while I don’t like the wound to my pride that it will inflict every time I flip it open, the knife is too expensive for me to replace it, since it remains fully functional. Guess I’ll need to invest in some rubber bands!

ZT-1
    ZT-2

Attachments:
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Some knife companies offer replacement blades for a reasonable price.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.