Advanced Search

micro bevel to eliminate tear-out -Spyderco Paramilitary CPM-S110V

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Basic Techniques and Sharpening Strategies micro bevel to eliminate tear-out -Spyderco Paramilitary CPM-S110V

Viewing 2 posts - 31 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    MarcH
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 2532

Of the two Shapton stones, the more expensive, Shapton Glass Stone sets are my preference.  The same eBay guy made those sets for me too.  He also made me several other sets of other brands of whetstones.   I haven’t used all my different whetstones sets with enough of a variety of steels types to be able to correlate steel hardness with a preferred brand of stone set for that steel.  So far, if I had to choose just one favorite stone for all-around use it’d be Shapton Glass Stones.  When funds have to be more of a consideration the Shapton K. Pro Stones are the second choice.  These Shapton stones are “splash and go” stones and much less messy to use then whetstones that require soaking before use.

I prefer to use whetstones to diamond stones in most instances for sharpening my personal knives.  They’re more steps involved to use the non-magnetic whetstones. They’re somewhat messy and more time consuming, to use them, too.  The whetstones cut faster, cut smoother and with more consistency in their scratch patterns.  They can be used well with all steels.  Even the new high-tech, super hard powdered, high-speed tool and crucible steels.  Whetstones do wear away and are consumed as you use and maintain them.  Even still, I just prefer the results.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Henry
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 28

To Shapton glass or not at this early stage of my journey. That is the question. <i>Whether ’tis nobler in the mind to suffer The slings and arrows of outrageous outlay, Or to take arms against a sea of  perhaps troublesome steels, And, by trying the Glass, have another tool to try.</i>

Lol, ok, I’m leaning towards using my diamonds on sub 61 ish Rockwell steels and the Shapton Pro Kuromaku for a while on harder thin Japanese knives and gaining experience before plunging down beaucoup de dollars on the glass.

But, I’ve been reading and seeing vids on Shapton glass for probably decades as I’ve enjoyed 30 bench whetstone, I’ve never had the experience with them and somehow feel this may be the calling.

That’s all. My post dinner rabble du-jour.

Viewing 2 posts - 31 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.