Advanced Search

Whats your experience with magnetic knife holding strips?

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance Whats your experience with magnetic knife holding strips?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Expidia
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 339

I’d like to free up some much needed counter space and not use the two wooden blocks I store my knives in for many many years now.  Besides keeping my knives at an easy reach these magnetic strips would also show off my knives and add a nice aesthetic touch to my kitchen.

But before I order a strip what is your experience with mounting directly over the stove.  My fear is they will just become grease catchers.  I do like this position as it will also keep them out of reach from my small grandchildren.

Thanks

Attachments:
    45srbest
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 22

I share your concern about grandchildren. Not sure about over the stove. It would certainly seem likely they would get some kind of buildup on them if not used. But I’m sure they’re used often enough to make this a non issue. Would long term it affect the handles? I do think the strips are the best way to protect the knives.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Richard
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 183

Do you think they’d be suspect to scratches from the magnets?  That would be my primary concern as you pulled them off and on the fixture.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Expidia
    Participant

Thanks for the two comments.  Yes, I was also concerned that the metal would scratch up my knives.  I searched through the reviews on Amazon and I could not find that question being asked. Either way, the model I ordered for $34.95 had many 1 star reviews in that the magnets were not strong enough and knives could easily fall off.  I’ll probable just print a return label and might not even open the package.  I looked up the average 1, 2, and 3 star ratings and they were very low as a percentage of owner feedback,  but I never checked the negative ratings.  All the various models seem to have the same weak magnet or cheap construction issue.  And while I was awaiting some opinions here from current magnet strip knife holder owners, I too feel that over the stove has to be a grease attractor!

45srbest
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 22

The magnetic one we use is made by Holtz.  It’s wood so there is no problem with it scratching the knives. The magnets are strong enough to hold 8” chefs knife (wustoff ikon)no problem.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Expidia
    Participant

The magnetic one we use is made by Holtz. It’s wood so there is no problem with it scratching the knives. The magnets are strong enough to hold 8” chefs knife (wustoff ikon)no problem.

I’ll check it out.  Only issue I see is my kitchen is oak.  Maybe the same company makes an oak versio

This company makes them in various woods.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XSWQFWQ?pf_rd_p=ab873d20-a0ca-439b-ac45-cd78f07a84d8&pf_rd_r=TK17ADVZS90473KDV9MY&th=1

Expidia
    Participant

Thanks Marc for the M.O.C. link.  I had trouble getting it to open.  But I was able to go to their home site with google.  I’m checking their reviews on Amazon if they still sell them.  A few comments on their home site said the wood scratches easily.  Maybe the walnut shows scratches but I’m looking at their oak.

Update: looks like Amazon does not carry M.O.C. knife holders anymore, so I can’t see reviews.  I know I could order direct, but then it gets costly to pay shipping both ways if it’s not what I want.

I found this one on Amazon and ordered it.  I like the design and idea of this style.  Its oak and the two magnet strips are not behind the wood which wood probably serves to lessen the magnetic strength.  Its very pricey at $50, but if it does what I’m looking for the premium cost doesn’t bother me. I’m hoping those magnetic strips are coated to not scratch.  Only has a few reviews, but most tout how strong the magnets are.  At least Amazon has free returns if I’m unhappy with the product.

https://www.amazon.com/Bisbell-Extra-Strong-Professional-grade-Installation-Sustainably/dp/B07VCX1P4X/ref=sr_1_22?keywords=oak%2Bmagnetic%2Bknife%2Bholder&qid=1581387723&s=home-garden&sr=1-22&th=1

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Last night after I posted this link then I tried it, the server crashed and the site went down.  So I deleted the post.  It seems to be working now.

I recognize from my time participating on this forum that “Expidia” has specific tastes, needs and requirements, (monetary and other), in the products he wants to purchase and own.  Many of his needs do differ from mine and maybe others, on the forum.  I thought this thread was a good opportunity to share these magnetic wood knife holders that I own use and have enjoyed without any issues for many years now.

I have 11 of these magnetic wood knife bars mounted in my kitchen, all of matching wood grains, holding my chef’s knife collection.  The bars easily and securely hold 5 or 6 large Chef’s knives.   (None are mounted over my stove top.)

The wood bars have not become scratched in the 5 years I’ve used them and the knives have not been scratched by the wood enclosed magnets, either.  This product may be on the higher price point of other similar magnetic knife bars, (as the price has risen over the years).   I continued to add more matching bars to my kitchen until I ran out of wall space.  (They are not sold by Amazon).

For someone looking for a very well made American product of beautiful quality wood with very strong, powerful magnets, you may want to check these out.

Gyutos-10s

left-counter

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Attachments:
    3 users thanked author for this post.
    Expidia
    Participant

Last night after I posted this link then I tried it, the server crashed and the site went down. So I deleted the post. It seems to be working now. I recognize from my time participating on this forum that “Expidia” has specific tastes, needs and requirements, (monetary and other), in the products he wants to purchase and own. Many of his needs do differ from mine and maybe others, on the forum. I thought this thread was a good opportunity to share these magnetic wood knife holders that I own use and have enjoyed without any issues for many years now. I have 11 of these magnetic wood knife bars mounted in my kitchen, all of matching wood grains, holding my chef’s knife collection. The bars easily and securely hold 5 or 6 large Chef’s knives. (None are mounted over my stove top.) The wood bars have not become scratched in the 5 years I’ve used them and the knives have not been scratched by the wood enclosed magnets, either. This product may be on the higher price point of other similar magnetic knife bars, (as the price has risen over the years). I continued to add more matching bars to my kitchen until I ran out of wall space. (They are not sold by Amazon). For someone looking for a very well made American product of beautiful quality wood with very strong, powerful magnets, you may want to check these out. Gyutos-10s left-counter

Holy Mackerel Mark . . . You are certainly the go to guy to ask about magnet wood knife holders.  Your kitchen is amazing , but I also might expect Michael Meyers from one of the Halloween movies to be sitting there with you there at your kitchen table :o).  Its definetly a kitchen knife display to behold and appreciate.  It’s a knife sharpeners dream kitchen for sure.

I do like the wayside of your knives are facing up and the tips are under the cabinets.  But why face the others down?  If I mount a strip on the window casement in my kitchen and face them up they would be an accident waiting to happen, but same goes if I mount them downward as someone say wiping the counter down could run into problems with the blades pointing down near the counter top.

The first magnetic strip I ordered came today a stainless steel version.  I wasn’t going to even take it out of the box as I have the 2nd pricey oak one coming which is said to be of stronger magnet holding power.  But I checked out this SS one out anyway before I’m sending it back and the negative reviews were correct in that the knives are not held on very tightly enough for safety.

I’m sure I can somehow get it mounted somewhere in my kitchen, yet still be in a convenient place to grab a knife, I’d like to lose the two knife blocks wasting my limited counter space.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. Love your pics of your setup!

Brewbear
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 168

I am suffering of tremendous kitchen knife envy after seeing @MarcH display. I too need a safe way of keeping my newly acquired and sharpened knives, especially after the last incident. Short story, my wife grabbed a towel off the counter, snagged it on the tip of one of my knives (set at the back of the counter, edge against the back splash) and my knife went flying. It fell and caught the tip of her big toe, sliced cleanly thru the nail. Fortunately I had my Vetbond on hand. Since then I keep my knives in a drawer but I really like the magnetic strip idea, the knife blocks never held any appeal for me, they are too easy to “contaminate” and too hard to clean.

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Here’s another knife rack I use.  These are counter-top magnetic knife racks.  They are made by Boker.  These racks like the magnetic wall rails hold your knives secure while keeping them air exposed and dry so the knives stay sanitary.  Unlike a standard knife block with the narrow enclosed slots.  Each semi-circular rack holds 7 knives each.

Counter-Top-Racks-Asst-Pettys-and-Small-Gyutos-s

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Attachments:
    Expidia
    Participant

Here’s another knife rack I use. These are counter-top magnetic knife racks. They are made by Boker. These racks like the magnetic wall rails hold your knives secure while keeping them air exposed and dry so the knives stay sanitary. Unlike a standard knife block with the narrow enclosed slots. Each semi-circular rack holds 7 knives. Counter-Top-Racks-Asst-Pettys-and-Small-Gyutos-s

Those are really nice racks Marc.  Does Florida have a KKA branch (Kitchen Knives Anonymous) . . . Let’s see pics of your folders collection?

• I never thought of the contamination aspect of keeping knives in the thin knife block slots (but I do clean and dry them before I put them in the block).
    • When my new magnetic strip arrives tomorrow I’m sure I’ll have to do some kitchen arranging which drives my wife crazy whenever I move stuff around.
    Expidia
    Participant

Here is another thought.  I can keep my sharp knives tip down and the one’s that need an re-fresh I can store tip up on the magnetic strip!

This way I’m always reaching for a super sharp edge.

Expidia
    Participant

I am suffering of tremendous kitchen knife envy after seeing @MarcH display. I too need a safe way of keeping my newly acquired and sharpened knives, especially after the last incident. Short story, my wife grabbed a towel off the counter, snagged it on the tip of one of my knives (set at the back of the counter, edge against the back splash) and my knife went flying. It fell and caught the tip of her big toe, sliced cleanly thru the nail. Fortunately I had my Vetbond on hand. Since then I keep my knives in a drawer but I really like the magnetic strip idea, the knife blocks never held any appeal for me, they are too easy to “contaminate” and too hard to clean.

Brewbear you are on the money as to how dangerous our knives can be when we take for granted how sharp they really are.   I’ve done it myself several times especially when using the low angle adapter (LAA).  It has two allen set screws with two different size allen wrenches.  I tend to loosen one and reach for the other allen wrench and the chefs knife drops right off the clamp and falls to the floor and I’ve had to jump out of the way before the tip planted in my foot.  Here is a pic from another forum where she didn’t jump fast enough and the point hit an artery . . .  Yikes :o(    Stay focused around these pointy knives with their super sharp edges.

• not sure what system she was using or if it was just a knife falling off her counter, but her foot was hit with a knife tip either way.
    Attachments:
    Mr.Wizard
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 190

Marc, that’s quite a collection.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.