Advanced Search

Whats your experience with magnetic knife holding strips?

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance Whats your experience with magnetic knife holding strips?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Holy Mackerel MarcH . . . I also might expect Michael Meyers from one of the Halloween movies to be sitting there with you there at your kitchen table :o).

Expidia, guests are always welcomed. LOL

livingroomfun

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Attachments:
    1 user thanked author for this post.
    airscapes
    Participant
    • Topics: 19
    • Replies: 367

ROFLMAO !!

Expidia
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 339

Holy Mackerel MarcH . . . I also might expect Michael Meyers from one of the Halloween movies to be sitting there with you there at your kitchen table :o).

Expidia, guests are always welcomed. LOL livingroomfun

Thats a good response Marc.  Now at the table has to be Michael C Hall from the series Dexter.  That looks like one of his room setups!

Expidia
    Participant

Wow, I just cleaned off my counter top to make room for Amazon delivering the magnetic strip today and removed the knife blocks.  We talked of the knife bock slits that can be unsanitary sticking the knives into . . . check out the top of one of the blocks.  Now I keep a pretty clean house but who ever looks under the knives in the block.  It’s pretty disgusting the dust build up.  Not sad to see these two germ generators going to my next garage sale!

Attachments:
    Expidia
    Participant

I thought I posted this already,  but this site is wonky.

The rack came an hour ago.  Only two screws to mount it.  I also bought this plastic knife holder for the drawer from Amazon for $9.99 to put my little used oddball knives in and free up some space on this 20 inch rack.  Strong magnetic hold that doesn’t seem like they will scratch up the knives.

Just ordered a 2nd strip to mount to the left of this new one.

** sorry for the dup pics.  This site is posting them that way then does not allow you to delete “any” pic (it used to).

Attachments:
    Mr.Wizard
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 190

What’s the knife on the far right?

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Mr Wizard you have a good eye and nice taste in knives.  That’s a beautiful knife: Yu Kurasaki Fujin VG-10 Hammered Damascus 210mm Gyuto.

Different sources sell it with different handle materials and color combinations: Yu Kurasaki Fujin VG-10 Hammered Damascus Gyuto 210mm

See two of the Yu Kurasaki’s, I have, to the far left.  The first one is the Shizuku R2/SG2 model, the second is the Fujin VG10 model, (like Expidia’s):

Gyutos-10s-1

Both of these Yu Kurasaki knives have the same unique thin edge profiles.  They just differ in the steels and handle components and colors.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Attachments:
    3 users thanked author for this post.
    Expidia
    Participant

Mounted the 2nd magnetic strip.  Still have two Shun’s coming back from their sharpening service, but had to start to filling in the added space with kitchen accessories.  Glad I was able to come up with this mounting space by screwing the strips into the window casement instead of over the greasy stove.  Clearly now I “NEED TO BUY MORE KNIVES” . . . :o)

• And thanks for all your input regarding the magnetic knife holding strips.
    Attachments:
    Howie911
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 10

I just recently acquired the Yu Kurosaki in 240 mm VG10 Damascus (second from the left in Marc’s picture).  The Damascus pattern is “Fujin” said to be the god that controls the wind.  Truly exquisite.  I’ve added a custom handle to mine since I felt the original just didn’t do the blade justice.  Amazingly sharp.

Expidia
    Participant

I just recently acquired the Yu Kurosaki in 240 mm VG10 Damascus (second from the left in Marc’s picture). The Damascus pattern is “Fujin” said to be the god that controls the wind. Truly exquisite. I’ve added a custom handle to mine since I felt the original just didn’t do the blade justice. Amazingly sharp.

I too would agree with your assessment of the handle looking in my words “cheap”.   Looked like no comparison to their picture I purchased it from. My Shun’s are 1/2 the price and their handles are first class  The company I originally ordered from (Honcho Knife) did not send me the handle I ordered as pictured.  The represented it as a Rosewood handle and a “light reddish Honduras Ferrule.  The knife that they sent me especially for its high cost came totally different than pictured with a Black Ferrule.  Also another disappointment “for me” is if you view the knife pictures in Marc’s link https://www.hocho-knife.com/yu-kurosaki-vg10-damascus-fujin-wa-rs8h-chef-knife-gyuto-210mm-with-brown-ring-octagonal-handle/ they also represent their Damascus steel in dark colors which really brings out the highlights of the Damascus.  I own many high end folders with similar dark Damascus blades and thats what I thought I was buying for my $428.  True, all of this is aesthetics and has nothing to do with the knife’s design and handling.   I don’t know if they are connected but Japanny Knifes also carry the Yu Kurosaki brand (I’m probably going to use them when I add two more Yu’s to my collection).  If anyone is thinking of purchasing a Yu knife I would have them send you pics of the actual knife they are sending you because if you buy these knives directly from a company in Japan you can’t send them back if you find they darkened their blade pics or (Note) the handles are a different color if you feel they miss represented what the knife actually looks like because you have to insure it and the U.S. Post office won’t accept it as they consider a kitchen knife a weapon.

From (note) above: they do note at the bottom of their description that because the ferrule is a natural product that it may differ possibly from the image pictured in color.  To my eyes there is a striking difference between light Red and “Black”.  Then to also have darkened all the their pics of their Damascus blades well that was way too much for me to accept especially with the bright bright bright silver looking blade. . . I flipped out when I opened the box.

Please post a pic of the handle you made.  I’d luv to see it.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by Expidia.
    Howie911
    Participant

Here is a link to the handle.  I didn’t make the handle myself but instead ordered it.  Esty has a great selection of pre-made and materials.  My choice might not be for some but thought it really enhances the blade.  I do agree that the pictures of the blade do show the Damascus as being dark but as you mentioned mine is the same as yours (shiny).  The knife does appear to be offered through a few different outlets (mine from Hocho).

https://i.etsystatic.com/18724768/r/il/d93830/2156620892/il_794xN.2156620892_14wv.jpg

Expidia
    Participant

Here is a link to the handle. I didn’t make the handle myself but instead ordered it. Esty has a great selection of pre-made and materials. My choice might not be for some but thought it really enhances the blade. I do agree that the pictures of the blade do show the Damascus as being dark but as you mentioned mine is the same as yours (shiny). The knife does appear to be offered through a few different outlets (mine from Hocho). https://i.etsystatic.com/18724768/r/il/d93830/2156620892/il_794xN.2156620892_14wv.jpg

Wow, that is an amazing handle.  Congrats.  Great choice.  I’m going to check Esty out.  What method did you use to tap off the OEM handle?

Howie, could you link me to the Etsy page that shows the handles.  If I have the correct site they show 250 pages of kitchen stuff.

Howie911
    Participant

Expedia,  I simply Googled “custom Japanese knife handles” and found the Esty location.  As for handle removal it’s relatively simple but requires a bit of less than tender force!!  LOL  I placed the blade in a vise with padding for the blade and used a section of 2X4 longer than the blade.  See the video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TLOpxONsh0

Cheers

Expidia
    Participant

Expedia, I simply Googled “custom Japanese knife handles” and found the Esty location. As for handle removal it’s relatively simple but requires a bit of less than tender force!! LOL I placed the blade in a vise with padding for the blade and used a section of 2X4 longer than the blade. See the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TLOpxONsh0 Cheers

I pictured how to do before I watched the vid (until his last step).  That blow torch scared me.  I said “whats he gonna do with that”?  Then I saw he just uses it to heat the tang so it burns its way into its own hole. Vid looks good until he started whacking the bottom with a wooden block . . . Yikes!

Scroll through these beauties . . . Wowsa . . . it would be an honor to slice mushrooms up with “any” of these handles Danielson (wax on wax off). Thx again Howie.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/687114692/custom-ebony-and-amboyna-japanese-wa?ref=related-5&frs=1

Expidia
    Participant

“Surprise, surprise – knife blocks are one of the germiest things in the kitchen! But the slots are easy to clean if you wedge a pipe cleaner in there.

Find out more about how to clean your knife block on this blog link below:

Expidia: This is why I switched to the magnetic knife strips.  But for those of you that still own knife blocks, I just came across this cleaning article: https://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/how-to-clean-your-knife-block/

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.