Advanced Search

Very frustrating. First EDC knife

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

I set to 20º and have at it.  I start to rough it in.  When it looks pretty close to re-profiled I’d double check the set angle and micro-adjust to 20º then finish with the profiling.  Then, I check the angles and make any necessary micro-fine adjustments with each and every grit in my progression.

As a new W.E. user I suggest you keep checking and double checking that your mini L brackets and micro-adjustments are staying locked and secure.  It can take some user practice to keep everything set.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

000Robert
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 406

Quick question, when you are trying to change the angle of the bevel, say a 24 down to a 20 for example, when you lay the stone on that side, it’s going to probably contact the shoulder of the bevel, would you just take that angle with your angle cube, adjust the arm until the cube reads 20 and then go with that? or like if you wanna just take it down a little each time you sharpen it set the stone on the shoulder, and adjust until you are 1 degree less than the bevel that exists?

The way that I do it is to set the angle that I want. Then after I scrub both sides for about 10 passes to the tip and back, I recheck my angles on the stones and make adjustments if necessary. I always try to remove as little steel as possible.

Joe
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 27

Quick question, when you are trying to change the angle of the bevel, say a 24 down to a 20 for example, when you lay the stone on that side, it’s going to probably contact the shoulder of the bevel, would you just take that angle with your angle cube, adjust the arm until the cube reads 20 and then go with that? or like if you wanna just take it down a little each time you sharpen it set the stone on the shoulder, and adjust until you are 1 degree less than the bevel that exists?

The way that I do it is to set the angle that I want. Then after I scrub both sides for about 10 passes to the tip and back, I recheck my angles on the stones and make adjustments if necessary. I always try to remove as little steel as possible.

Good idea, didn’t think of just re checking as you work it down.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.