Advanced Search

Super polished edges

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Photos Super polished edges

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 490 total)
  • Author
    Steven N. Bolin
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 456

Steven: I agree with DSGrouse, your rig is eye-popping cool. Did you make those micro-adjust knobs/wrenches or are they available somewhere on the ‘net?

Florescent chartreuse! :sick: Wheeee! Is it real, or is it photoshopped? :cheer: There seems to be no edge definition in the chartreuse areas of the photos, suggesting they were washed out with the file compression. Or what?

Haha. I will say I’m guilty of digitally altering stock photos in some shape or form. Blame it on my dabbling in graphic design, or chalk it up to my generation and the countless apps available. In reality, nothing in these photos actually exists. It’s all composites, layered and blended together to deceive all of you. I actually don’t even own a Wicked Edge. I’ve been hired by a market research company to infiltrate this community, gain your trust, steal all your secrets, then report them back to a major competitor…. I’m obviously joking… I did, however, up the contrast and saturation because it looks sweet. Sorry. Again, blame it on whatever. 😉

But… I’m’m still a bit confused as to what you guys are asking of me, if anything. Would you like quick video confirmation including a run-down of my mods from top to bottom? I’d be TICKLED silly to go over it for you guys! Honestly!

Steven N. Bolin
    Participant

P.S. My girlfriend just read my reply and told me it makes me sound like a jerk (sugar coated)… I hope that’s not the case… Although, it may be, which might help explain the random spikes and declines in my karma.

I <3 you guys.

Daniel maloon
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 209

Looks great man. Make the video

Alan
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 206

P.S. My girlfriend just read my reply and told me it makes me sound like a jerk (sugar coated)… I hope that’s not the case… Although, it may be, which might help explain the random spikes and declines in my karma.

I <3 you guys.[/quote]

No, man. I got a good laugh out of your post! Cheers!

Alan

Lance Waller
    Participant
    • Topics: 23
    • Replies: 138

Had a customer send me a fake Strider to sharpen and I think he probably spent as much on me sharpening it as he did the knife to begin with! Oh well….its screaming sharp now. It had a huge chip in the blade and he had tried to put a 18 degree bevel on it with a Lansky and kind of messed it up so I had to put a pretty high bevel on it to cover up his handy work but it turned out pretty good. That nightmare grind was interesting to sharpen as well. The blade gets a lot thicker near the middle to end of the blade and really thin near the back. Check it out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daniel maloon
    Participant

That looks great. I imagine it was interesting to sharpen that grind. I find that the most challenging blades to do are daggers for a number of reasons.

Steven N. Bolin
    Participant

That nightmare grind was interesting to sharpen as well.

The makers of these clones can’t seem to get the nightmare grind down, which obviously isn’t a bad thing considering they pretty much NAIL everything else… It’s kinda scary. :S

Awesome job btw!

Daniel maloon
    Participant

SOG Kiku large and small folding knives

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Strider GB tanto, TNK framelock (only 100 ever made)… I love the Wicked Edge!

CliffCurry
    Participant
    • Topics: 42
    • Replies: 461

I find that the most challenging blades to do are daggers for a number of reasons.

Agreed Dan, recently sharpened 2 bayonets and getting the multiple bevels to all match up was slow & careful work. The results are worth it…

Love your work on this one!

Steven N. Bolin
    Participant

Strider GB tanto, TNK framelock (only 100 ever made)… I love the Wicked Edge!

Dude! That.Is.Outstanding! Nuff said!

Daniel maloon
    Participant

I love tantos. Good stuff Josh! Thank you cliff. That’s one of the main difficulties especially when there is a false edge that gets thicker at the point like that Fox . Even worse without a flat. Here’s a Gerber Applegate. In hindsight I should of reshaped the tip and progressed through all the grits but it was still good and the guy got it done for nothing.

Attachments:
    Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

Looks great. Knifenerd

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

Daggers are definitely challenging getting everything to look symmetrical since many are cheaply made.

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

That looks great. I imagine it was interesting to sharpen that grind. I find that the most challenging blades to do are daggers for a number of reasons.

Totally agree here! Main reasons in my experience are because the difficulty of clamping (of course, I have special things to my WEPS unit that allow me to do this much easier than normal) and you have to sharpen at a steep angle as daggers are not naturally meant to be thin, unless you have it custom made. I reground one recently almost taking it to zero, it was SUPER sharp. Getting ready to do another that is really thick, I will try to post pics when done.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 490 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.