Advanced Search

Gen 3 Pro Vise Tension

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance Gen 3 Pro Vise Tension

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Expidia
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 338

I have the latest gen 3 pro vice and for the first time I recently had to clean it out because it was grindy and I had to use the tensioner on the weakest setting. I’ve always felt it was designed too tight.  But after using some Nano oil when I reassenbled it it is very smooth again but tesioner still useless. .  I still have to use it on the weakest tension setting so I might try removing one washer from the stack of OEM washers in there now since the tensioner has little effect.  I always feel I’m going to snap something like the lever.  I just cleaned it last week and I wish I had already read this thread, but pulling it apart again is easy enough.  Its the fully covered model so I got around a year out of it before cleaning.  One Youtube disassembly thread I watched showed the guy not replacing the round foam strip under the jaws and he replaced it with a piece of folded tape.  It seems thats the place where diamond dust still gets easily into the vice falling onto the cam.  But I’ll pull one washer which might make my tensioner useful again because I always have to keep it in the same spot so whats the point of it?  A thicker knife would be a bear for me to clamp down the way it is now at the weakest setting. My waashers are probably weaker now from when it was a new new unit since its a year old.  Thanks for the post as its worth a try for me.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Expidia
    Participant

Before and after pics with one washer removed.   First pic is where tensioner was maxed out at the minus sign (least tension I could put on the knife).

2nd pic is with the one washer out.  Now tensioner has an adjustment to it.   I’ll run a few different knives through and see if it works ok with a washer removed.

Attachments:
    2 users thanked author for this post.
    Pat
    Participant
    • Topics: 16
    • Replies: 114

I didn’t see whether Clay or Kyle had responded.  Sounds like you maybe should send it in or get their thoughts.  You could send them a reference to this forum post to their service email, if you don’t think you have resolved the issue.

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by Pat.
    Lay
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 27

After removing one pair of washers I took the thinnest blade that I have.

Tensioner adjusted to 50% I could lift the whole Gen 3 Pro and the stones by holding the knife

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Expidia
    Participant

Lay, nice looking set of micro adjusters there . .  :o)

Lay
    David Larr
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 6

Holy crap that is the most useful thing I have read in a long time

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.