Advanced Search

Damn, I really just screwed this edge up?

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

And there is the school of thought that many factory edges are weak/damaged from power sharpening (heat treat near apex destroyed from insufficient cooling). . . And this weakened metal must be removed by: 1) cutting into a stone to remove the fatigued steel, or 2) multiple subsequent sharpening to remove the fatigued steel.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Just so I get this straight in my head. Edge leading vs edge trailing? For the layman . . . moving a stone from heel to tip is which? Moving a stone from tip to heel is which?

Edge leading is bringing the stone done to first meet the steel at the knife edge,  then continuing the stroke down towards the shoulder to the spine.  Edge trailing is the stone meets the steel first at the shoulder and the stroke continues up and off the steel at the knife edge.  Either stroke, edge leading or edge trailing, can be in the direction along the knife blade, from heel to tip or from tip to heel.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Expidia
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 339

Ok, thx got it.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Replies: 2095

Regardless of whether you go heel-to-tip or tip-to-heel, a down-stroke is “edge leading,” while an up-stroke is “edge trailing.”  The nomenclature is a holdover from hand-sharpening, where the perspective is from the blade moving relative to the stone.  With the WEPS, it’s the stone moving relative to the blade.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Expidia
    Participant

Haha, I can’t win.  So Benchmade put a new blade for me on my Emissary as I hated looking at the slight recurve that I put in it by my bad WE technique on this blade.  I tried to get it out but I would have lost too much steel to make it right again.

So I sent it into Benchmade and for $30 they installed a new S30V premium steel blade (and free shipping back to me) and it came back in two weeks instead of the 5 weeks they took to re-center the blade on another model I sent them.  On the Emissary, they forgot one screw in the handle so I called them and they are sending me an entire screw kit for this model for free.  They also will send you a deep carry pocket clip for your BM for free if you call and ask for one (in silver or black).

You can’t beat BM for their customer service and lifetime warranty.

I’ve been in search of their gold class Foray model since they introduced it last year.  But at an $800 MSRP they were crazy.  The authorized online discounters sell it new for $660 (still crazy).  But I finally found one for $485 and it was delivered yesterday.  The cost is high because its a Damasteel blade, Carbon fiber marbled handles and a Mother of Pearl inlay.  So I had bought 6 other Benchmades mostly to try each model out. I sold 2, so I could roll the proceeds into the Foray or a “Grail” keeper for my collection.

I say “I can’t win” because this Foray came with a slight recurve in the same area I put my own recurve by error on my Emissary model.  So bottom line is I could have just used the old blade as it was without getting sick everytime I looked at the damage I did!!!

But check out this model, its a beauty and you can see the recurve they designed into this model too.  also, check out the damage I did to the Emissary in the 3rd pic.  It really is not that much different to the recurve that came on my Foray!

• This reply was modified 5 years, 10 months ago by Expidia.
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 10 months ago by Expidia.
    Attachments:
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

The difference is that one was designed that way and the other was done by mistake. That’s a fancy blade for sure. Are you planning on sharpening it, or are you going to leave the factory edge on this one?

Expidia
    Participant

Haha. . .  Now that I re-sold 10 of the 16 knives I bought, I’m still in the market for 1 more Grail type knife another Sebenza 21 Chris Reeve model but with a Raindrop Damascus blade.  When I find it, I’ll probably sell 3 more Benchmades to fund it.  I can’t put mirror edges on ones that I might sell as most buyers like factory edges as it keeps the knife closer to like new condition.

For this fancy BM Foray, I’ll use it with the factory edge until it needs sharpening.  Then I’ll put a mirror edge on it.  By that time I’ll have a few more folders under my belt that don’t have as pricey a blade to replace if I mess it up again.  This smaller folder has only a 3.2 inch blade and harder for me to sharpen than a kitchen knife.  Throw in that recurve on it and I’d like to see a WE set of stones that are only 1/2 as wide as the current ones are specifically for shorter blades.

All though I had no issues with sharpening my Large Sebenza 21 which is a premium steel and it came out as my best yet!  Then I learned from Clay’s videos that a Sebenza has a contoured edge and I did not use that method,  I saw it after the fact when a memeber here posted “how to do a contour edge”!

tcmeyer
    Participant

Expidia:  You seem to be one of the few around here that has the wherewithal to scratch a serious itch, I think you ought to look at Rockstead.

You can adapt Spyderco’s triangle stones fairly easily to use (corner only) on your WEPS.  If you have a small drill press, a size F drill bit and a router table with a dovetail bit.  OK, so maybe it’s not so easy.

tcmeyer
    Participant

Darn it.  My sense of humor gets a little twisted at 3:00 AM.  I should have included an LOL with that last post.

Expidia
    Participant

Well . . . Finally had a chance to mirror the replacement blade’s edge. Even though it was the same S30v steel it was easier this time to get a burr starting with the 100 stones.

I think the reason I messed up the first blade was that I did not know Benchmade’s thumbstuds were screwed in.  I thought it was the same as Chris Reeve’s thumbstuds which are “pressed in”.  This model is assisted, so I did not want to clamp the blade alone by opening it up and deal with springs etc.  With the thumbstud off the blade, I was in no danger of putting another recurve into the edge like I did on the first blade.

Came out very nice considering it was only my 2nd Premium steel folder.

Thanks for all of your comments and help,

Paul

3 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.