Advanced Search

Am I On Track?

This topic contains 16 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Richard 07/13/2019 at 12:58 pm.

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Richard
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 36

So it’s a little like putting a micro-bevel on the apex?  Good point about the thickness of the stone; I’ll need to work that into my calculations as well.

Richard
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 36

Thank you so much for that detailed feedback. I’m aware that it’s going to take me awhile to figure out all the tricks of the sharpening trade but I’ve got nothing but time. Regarding the photo I sent in, that was one of my questions. That was my final bevel, a 15 degree using the 1600-grit ceramic stone but like you said, the apex is showing signs of the original scrubbing. I’m wondering what my next move should be to smooth that out. Do I need to just continue stroking with the same stone or contemplate another technique?

Just adjust your angles by about +0.2 degrees, or about two-thirds of a turn out on the micro-adjust screw. All of the stones I use seem to match angles beautifully, except for one of my 1000-grit stones. It measures almost 0.2 deg. higher than the previous grit . If I recall correctly, that probably is caused by a 0.020″ difference in the mounting height of that particular platen. One annoying complication is that it throws off the measurement when I want to reset the angle for the 1500 grit on the opposite side of the same handle. Of course, this is because I place the angle cube on the 1000-grit surface. Maybe if I put it on the rod itself…

Just applied this to a Sog of my son’s and wow, it worked great so thanks for the tip!

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.