Advanced Search

WORLDS ShARPEST KNIFE $50,000 CHALLENGE

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    NotVerySharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 33
    • Replies: 56

Is this kinda like Golf or what?  What is the sharpest anyone has seen? Whats the most realistic sharpness that is possible.  I saw on youtube where modifiedZ split or shaved a hair.  That looked impressive.  How much does it have to do with the type of steel you are dealing with?      I think you understand where I’m coming from.  At what point is my insanity at now, and where am I heading??  Will I be out trying to knock the wings off of a flea before long?  Will I be paying $500 for the extra club, just to make a ball go 2 feet farther?   Where is the biggest area to look at in my sharpening technique to improve it, so I can say I don’e it ( whatever point that is? ? ?)  ((( Where is it, whats the sharpest knife you have seen, what could it do?))

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

At what point is my insanity at now, and where am I heading??

You made me smile. This is why I’ve acquired 36 more knives, in addition to what I already owed, since I got my WE 2-1/2 years ago. The knives are made from more than 12 different steels. As my technique (I want to believe) continues to  improve, as I sharpen more, and as I learn more and try different things, as I continue to use and sharpen the knives I keep trying to learn the answer to that question. Welcome.

Marc

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

The sharpest thing I’ve seen here was a diamond-edged razor blade shaving (literally) hair.  It’s technically not a knife but it’s impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNq4Oa1GwwE

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Very impressive. But why wouldn’t you call that razor blade a knife?

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

NotVerySharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 33
    • Replies: 56

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm1TXIxof6I

TC   That video you show definitely is impressive.  What do you think about this one, have you seen it before.  This kid shaves a hair from tip to root, and from root to tip.   Comments?  Do you have any knives that sharp 🙂

GROSEN
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 13

This is my sharpest knife.

17 Dgps stoped at .5 micron film and polised  from 3.5 to .125 micron

Kind regards
    Martin

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

hair tests are difficult to judge because the thickness and moisture content of the hair plays so much of a role in how well the hair is severed – in other words it is subjective to an extent. That being said I do use it as a gauge of where an edge is but the finer aspects (i.e. do you have a knife that sharp) is hard to judge, you would need to have the same hair to test to see if your edge is just as sharp. It looks like from the video that the hair is a pretty thick hair, I highly doubt he could have done that with a flimsy/thin hair just as easily. That being said any edge that can whittle a hair is still extremely sharp 🙂

He also made a comment about a toothy edge not being razor sharp, whereas I completely disagree. From what I have seen razor blades (commercial and industrial use, even surgery scalpels) have a toothy edge. Sharpness level or cutting ability has a TON to do with the initial edge geometry and the thickness behind the edge, not as much to do with edge polish although that certainly plays a role.

Great points and videos everyone 🙂

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.