Advanced Search

What is “Sharp”

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

As mentioned earlier, I bought a box of scalpels from Amazon. I was just curious as to what made them so sharp. These blades only cost about 13 cents each, so I doubt if they’re the best available. Given the subject of this thread, I thought I’d share the photos with you.

The blades are 0.015″ thick and the single bevels are ground to an included angle of about 27 degrees. (An earlier disposable scalpel I’d gotten from a dentist friend was 0.040″ thick and ground off-center to an included angle of 30 degrees.)

The first photo shows side-by-side sections of the scalpel as viewed from both sides. Both sides seem to be ground with about an 800 grit. You can see that one side is polished and the other side is not.

You’ll see in the second photo, which shows a cross-section of the blade, that the polished side has rolled what amounts to a heavy burr to the unpolished side.

When testing the blade on my thumbnail, it was immediately apparent that the blade would bite with the burr facing down. When it was facing up, I had to raise the angle quite a bit to get a bite.

After using my Wicked Edge system for a couple of years, I have to say that I’m not all that impressed by the “sharpness” of scalpels.

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Here’s a “heads up.” Tonight, (late Thursday night) I watched an episode of “How It’s Made” on the Science Channel (DIRECTV CH284). They had an interesting clip on the manufacturing of Solingen straight razors.

They distinctly showed how the primary hollow-grind is done, but didn’t show how the secondary bevel was done. The secondary bevel was quite wide, somewhere between 6 and 8mm. Anytime you see a very wide bevel, it’s either a very acute angle or a very thick blade. They showed how thin the blade was along the edge by pressing it (flat side) against a wide metal ring the person was wearing. You could clearly see the edge flexing as the blade was pressed against the ring. They suggested that the edge approached the thickness of foil.

No doubt. Extremely thin blades with extremely acute secondary bevel angles make for extremely sharp edges. Also no doubt that you’ll have to have a high quality steel which will support that kind of geometry.

If you want to see this episode, it is being rebroadcast at 2:30AM CST Saturday morning on the Science Channel (DIRECTV SCIHD 284). If you have the Science Channel on your local cable service, check the listing

If you don’t have DVR service, we need to have a personal talk.

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

Solingen’s best steels are excellent. When I was 15 I bought a Solingen Bowie Knife for the princely sum of $9.95 at Lefevre’s Sports Shop in North Bay. Actually that was big money then, but I came back from Cadet Camp at Ipperwash with $20 dollars in my pocket. I put this knife through hell trying to get down the technique of throwing it overhand and underhand from 10 feet. Oh my! The bone handle eventually cracked, but that blade remained sharp and undaunted until one day it struck a nail in the wooden extension of my Dad’s old garage and it ricocheted and bounced off a boulder. The tip broke and the edge was a mess. Good steel that Solingen knife.
    As for my Dad’s garage extension which was added to accommodate our new 1950 Chevy, it was so weakened by my efforts it had to be rebuilt and there went my other 10 dollars from Cadet camp. I also got the rest of the summer working at my father’s restaurant doing dishes and carrying pop cases and ice from the back to keep the Coke cooler full. Bad Leo!!

Leo

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

If you want to see this episode, it is being rebroadcast at 2:30AM CST Saturday morning on the Science Channel (DIRECTV SCIHD 284). If you have the Science Channel on your local cable service, check the listing.

If you don’t have DVR service, we need to have a personal talk.

Or…..

🙂

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

…..It went from around .040″ thick to about .010″. …..

Josh

Very nice.

Just wondering…. do you (and others?) put the micrometer on every blade?[/quote]

Actually, I didn’t measure these at all (I forgot) but I know what .010″ looks like 🙂

Josh

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

They should work beautifully for slicing not on crusty bread though they could roll on that .
    What make is the western handled Japanese parer ?

Why would they roll on bread more than hitting a cutting board repeatedly when cutting vegetables? Just curious 🙂

I’m not sure… A name I hadn’t heard of before, I ground it off lol

I got feedback from my customer though! He loves them 🙂

Josh

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

I thought I would share this I bought this little Global peeler I reckon it is sharpened with sub 400 grit and polished off a little on a leather belt it is quite handy for what is a sharp knife and what is adequate refinement for a low level Japanese knife or a high level European knife. Note it is a convex edge 10-15Ëš. I have sharpened lots of Globals but not seen how they are out the factory it supports Eamon’s observations not refining the edge too far.
    The magnified view is 400X with a Veho.

Leo Barr
    Participant

I thought I would share this I bought this little Global peeler I reckon it is sharpened with sub 400 grit and polished off a little on a leather belt it is quite handy for what is a sharp knife and what is adequate refinement for a low level Japanese knife or a high level European knife. Note it is a convex edge 10-15Ëš. I have sharpened lots of Globals but not seen how they are out the factory it supports Eamon’s observations not refining the edge too far.
    The magnified view is 400X with a Veho.

Leo Barr
    Participant

I read somewhere recently that some rather crusty bread rolled a knife the board is less likely to since the crust of the bread was probable unevenly hard where as the board is an even hardness & it is more likely that a larger part of the knife hits the board.

Leo Barr
    Participant

They looked really good.

Leo Barr
    Participant

higher grit finishes cause
    less damage to food
    slower oxidization of food after cutting
    less water loss
    higher gloss/sheen of cut surfaces
    less grip/tactile feedback
    less ability to dig into thick skinned items
    Lower grit finishes cause
    greater damage to food
    faster oxidization
    greater water loss
    matte looking cut surfaces
    better grip of the edge/improved tactile feedback
    greater ability to “dig in” to thick skinned items
    increased ability to feel sharp
    the actual edge sharpness will diminish at almost the same rate regardless of finish except that toothier edges retain the feeling of “bite” longer
    german knives- 600-3000 grit
    japanese knives 3000-8000 grit
    chefs knives 3000-6000 grit
    slicers 4000-8000 grit
    butchery knives 3000-4000
    these are some figures that Jon of Japaneseknifeimports gave me obviously the chefs knives mentioned would refer to Japanese knives so the cheap knives European types are best on 600-3K depending on quality and Chinese knives I would finish at 400 whilst the best German knives I would treat more like a Japanese knife.
    I think in sharpening for a customer it is important to know what the knife is to be used for a go to knife may be used to slice through food in plastic packets to soft tomatoes so that should have a low grit finish where as a dedicated slicer or carving knife will perform best with a refined edge . If a chef offers no info on the use of the blades then I guess lower grit blade finishers are best since they probable do not have much knife discipline .
    It is still a difficult question since someone may try to test the sharpness by shaving hair in which case the more refined edge will win but hopefully the real test is how they perform in the kitchen.

Leo Nav

Jende Industries
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 342

Another epic thread, my friends! B) Thanks for the heads up, Eamon!

The answer, as we are seeing, is “it depends” – as usual. However, I think the combined data here is answering our specific question of “what is sharp” but not all at the same time.

First, the textbook definition, which is when two planes meet at a point of zero width (or close to it for all you OCD’ers like me, since zero is theoretically impossible). This is usually measured by the raising of a burr on both sides of the blade and is “sharp” by definition regardless of the grit. As Eamon basically stated, an 800 grit edge is great for cardboard but not something you would want to shave with, but both are technically “sharp”.

Then there is the geometry to take into account – more acute angles will slice better and easier, but more obtuse angles will withstand a pounding longer. tcmeyer noted how a relatively unrefined the scalpel blades are, yet they are very thin and slice with amazing ease. Your axe needs more geometry and heft behind the blade to withstand the chopping forces.

On the less tangible side are the steel characteristics, which influence your overall refinement and geometry choices. As Clay mentioned, “There is a physical limit as to how thin an edge can be with steel”. As we approach that zero width, more obtuse geometry will help support the edge so that it can stay intact. (This is the reason for convex edges and micro bevels).

That’s the easy part. Now is the stuff that makes you stay up at night… 👿

The thinness or thickness of the edge is important,too. Diamonds plates cut through the edge very deeply, scoring the blade so that the voids from the scratches end up making the serrated teeth of an otherwise “thick” edge. The best (slightly exaggerated) image I can think of is the teeth of a backhoe, where the diamond scratches equate to the spaces between the teeth.

This is what allows for what I call a “false positive” when shaving hair off of lower grit diamond plates. The gaps between the teeth are sharp and cleanly cut, which catches the hair between the points of the VVV. Keep in mind that the points themselves are still quite thick. This is sharp, though.

When you get into the way that the ceramics and water stones abrade, they tend to abrade the entire surface of the edge more evenly, thinning out the thickness of the edge until the points of the V are thin enough to sever hair – which gets easier at about 2K and finer – more of a — shape.

Here are two pictures where you can see the thickness of the edge of the edge. The first is the 600 WEPS Diamond – it is uniform, but the scratches are quite deep. The second is the 600 Chosera. You can see the more rounded edge of the edge, but the scratches on the bevel are much less invasive.

The diamond edge in this case is “stronger” but it is sawing more than slicing.

The argument here becomes having an edge that is thin enough to sever cleanly through the fibers of what is being cut, rather than sawing or even tearing through. The tradeoff is that the more refinement you add, the closer to that zero width the edge becomes, hence the need for more geometry. Even with diamonds.

Then we have polished grooves to consider. tcmeyer’s razor blades have a thicker edge of the edge because of lower refinement, but the grooves are polished clean, giving the relatively thicker points of the VVV just a slightly thinner or convexed profile so it can cut into things a little easier. Most factory edges are about 220 grit with a polish that allows them to slice easily through paper, yet be rugged and longer lasting – they may shave arm hair but are nowhere near what I would call shave ready.

On the opposite end is the “true grit”, which is the full established scratches of the finest grit, making the edge cut effortlessly, like a straight razor, but is more fragile and requires more upkeep to keep it in optimal condition.

Which is better? Well, that depends. :silly:

Back to the tomato cutting issue. The 800 edge saws, the 10K edge slices as Josh mentioned. If the 10K edge isn’t working as well it’s probably because the edge has been rounded from too much pressure in the finishing stages, as Leo suggested, or the geometry is too acute for the steel.

One thing that always gets me about some of the chef knife users out there is that they feel the need for “lasers” which are super thin blades with super thin angles – like 12 degrees per side. However, with something as precise as the WEPS combined with the Choseras and Shaptons, approaching that zero width is easily done, and actually requires a more obtuse angle or a microbevel – either way, about 18-25 degree angles per side to hold up for more than a couple of slices (IMO).

In reading this post over, I fear I may have only made the question even more difficult to answer!

Leo James Mitchell
    Participant
    • Topics: 64
    • Replies: 687

Well done Tom! You have clarified ‘sharpness’ in its various guises in everyday language.I am copying this one for my files.
    How is the clarinet playing these days?

Best regards

Leo

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Tom,
    Thank you very much! I’m pretty sure you had to do a ton of research to give us a few very concise paragraphs!!! That said my little pea brain will have to read it two times just to make sure I get it? :unsure: :blink: 😉

Jende Industries
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 342

Thank you for the kind words, Leo and Eamon :blush:

The clarinet stuff is going well Leo – just teaching a little now, but I’m hoping to get a group together with some of the other symphony guys in the near future.

As for the information above, I know some of my theories are not exactly on par with Verhoeven’s, but this is my personal take based upon my pictures and equipment.

One of the disagreement points that I know Curtis and I have is the thickness of the point of the edge, which, according to Verhoeven is more constant and the smoothness of the bevels equates to more refinement (IIRC). Verhoeven’s SEM pictures are hard to argue, but my pictures seem to tell a different tale. (I have actually argued Ver’s method, which would influence the results he got – but that’s not the point here).

I’m actually considering trying to do a microscope video of the 800 diamond edge and a 10K Chosera edge cutting into a tomato… Any suggestions on how exactly to do that? 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.