Advanced Search

What is “Sharp”

Viewing 4 posts - 46 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

One of the disagreement points that I know Curtis and I have is the thickness of the point of the edge, which, according to Verhoeven is more constant and the smoothness of the bevels equates to more refinement (IIRC). Verhoeven’s SEM pictures are hard to argue, but my pictures seem to tell a different tale.

Are you still referring to your statement that the edge can only be as thin as the stone it comes off of? Well, if you discount Verhoeven’s pictures, even Clay’s don’t seem to support this. For example, the edge off a 100g stone…

…which according to you should be 100m wide? Or the edge off a 600g stone…

… which according to you should be around 16m wide?
    (From this thread).

Yea you’re right, we still disagree. πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

Jende Industries
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 342

Touche, Curtis! B)

Like I said my friend, hard to argue. πŸ‘Ώ Our disagreeing is not so bad, IMO. As we have seen time and time again here, this usually leads to more experiments. :woohoo:

I don’t question the pictured results of the Verhoeven, but I do question certain parameters of the methods. Clay’s pictures are certainly harder to argue, still! I’ve got theories I’m wrapping my head around….

Some further criteria to perhaps think about – what about the effects of broken in stones vs. new ones? Loaded vs. clean ones? Pressure vs. none? Films vs. stones/plates vs. compounds – they all have different concentrations and cutting depths.

Then mix them all up and take some pictures :silly:

Jende Industries
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 342

Ya know, Curtis…

I’m actually hoping to get to New Mexico sometime in the near future. This sort of thing needs to be figured out with Clay, you, me and whoever else can fit in one room with the same microscope. That would be epic! B)

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Gone are the days of certain tyrants on forums

Hahah, Tom. LOL. I don’t know exactly what you are referring to, but as long as I’m a mod on this forum, and Clay allows, this will be a very open place for the exchange of ideas.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Viewing 4 posts - 46 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.