Advanced Search

WEPS Low Angle Adapter or Tormek Jig?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Lance Waller
    Participant
    • Topics: 23
    • Replies: 138

For those of you who have them………does the Tormek accomplish the same lower angle the Low Angle Adapter does?

Steven N. Bolin
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 456

Josh has the Tormek jig mounted in the LAA. Crazy low angle!

Wicked Edge (WEPS) at the lowest possible angle:

Lance Waller
    Participant
    • Topics: 23
    • Replies: 138

Josh has the Tormek jig mounted in the LAA. Crazy low angle!

Wicked Edge (WEPS) at the lowest possible angle:
    http://youtu.be/rkMAo2eztpY%5B/quote%5D

Yea…..I’ve seen that. I was wondering……one or the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aaron kimpton
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 155

Well ups finally delivered my canceled order of both. And my reorder of both……. so now I have 2 of each.

Montana Edge
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 62

Josh is using the Tormek SVM-00, which is technically a ‘small knife holder’ The longer the blade, the trickier that guy is for low angles because more and more flex get’s introduced because you’re holding it by the handle (true whether using it on either Tormek or WE). So that jig has it’s limitations.

Ideally you’d want both, but the WE LAA would come first, then pick up the Tormek.

Montana Edge
    Participant

and…

The Tormek jig is trickier to clamp up the knife. The Tormek jig can definitely get much better angles.

The Tormek jig is not meant for longer blades as the flex introduced will compound (handle design, clamping pressure, blade length, blade flexibility)

It has it’s place though, just secondary to the LAA, imo.

CliffCurry
    Participant
    • Topics: 42
    • Replies: 461

While the tomek is technically a small knife holder, I have used mine for a spyderco endura and a para 2 with excellent results in part because there is no issue of dealing with the issues of clamping a FFG while attempting a low angle.

What I did is make a vertical mark on the top clamp of the tormek, then align the blade to it. Easy & repeatable. B)

What Montana says is also true, the tormek does “flex” around a bit and I find myself sharpening 1 handed(especially the tip are).

Also I believe the flex could be greatly reduced simple by replacing the current straight bar with something a little stiffer. Easy mod.

Finally I think the #1 thing(besides low angles) that sold me on this arrangement(LAA + Tormek), with longer rods, is that the ARC is larger….This means a larger sweet spot matching the blade profile better and allowing for a uniform edge bevel… :huh:

Victor
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 80

It is nice to know about other variables when used as a combination.

Could someone answer OP’s original question first?

I am also interested as pertain to individual stand alone use comparison!

TIA!

Montana Edge
    Participant

Well, he asked two questions on two separate posts and both were answered., and the post title was considered too.

Q. “For those of you who have them………does the Tormek accomplish the same lower angle the Low Angle Adapter does?”
    Answered “The Tormek jig can definitely get much better angles.”

Q. “I was wondering……one or the other.”
    Answered “Ideally you’d want both, but the WE LAA would come first, then pick up the Tormek.

It is not really a yes/no answer, thus the wandering detailed answers.

If someone is trying to pick between one of these tools to add to their toolbox, you can’t just say the Tormek jig gets lower angles and leave it at that, because the Tormek jig has limitations that make it impractical to try to use it for a super low angle on the WE or the Tormek. For instance, an average sized thin flexible fillet knife would be miserable using the Tormek small knife jig.

So, we get the wordy answers trying to help a guy get the big picture… and sometimes the answer gets buried in the mix.

Speaking of wordy: the answer to the original question is “the Tormek jig can definitely get much better angles” (than the LAA) and that hasn’t changed.

apples and oranges though.

Montana Edge
    Participant

and in case what you are saying is that you want someone to compare the systems:

the Tormek small knife jig used on the Tormek
    against
    the LAA used on the WE:

The Tormek small knife jig used on a Tormek will win for low angle capability.

Won’t be as refined an edge as a WE edge.

Victor
    Participant

I am having problem opening your underlined comparisons.

And appreciated you taking the time for the replies!

Montana Edge
    Participant

Sorry about that… here you go with no underlines. Let me know if I am on the right track with what you’re asking.

and in case what you are saying is that you want someone to compare the systems:

against
    the LAA used on the WE:

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

against the LAA used on the WE:

It seems to me like what people are wanting to know is what can get lower angles when used w/ the Wicked Edge, the tormek jig or the LAA. I personally have not tested them side by side, but I agree with you that the Tormek jig does have its limitations w/ longer bladed knives. It is more of a solution for smaller bladed knives say 4″ or less. The LAA also has limitations if you are wanting to do small pocket knives w/ thin blades, like the SAK. you also can only put the knife to the limited depth, nothing like the original vise. so tilting the knife in the LAA is pretty much out of the question.

So my answer would be to ask what kind of knives will they be needing to use this on? then we can give the best advise 🙂

Montana Edge
    Participant

It seems to me like what people are wanting to know is what can get lower angles when used w/ the Wicked Edge, the tormek jig or the LAA

That’s how I took it too.

So my answer would be to ask what kind of knives will they be needing to use this on? then we can give the best advise

Bravo!

Victor
    Participant

I bought the Tormek not really interested on how acute an angle I can get but rather, using it for small knives. Especially for a few with FFGs and a few shorter than 3″ lg x 3/4″ blade width.

Since OP’s question also pertains to me, it is also good for me to have the resource and understand the limitations from experts here on the forum.

TIA!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.