Advanced Search

Weird Angle Issue…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    NorCalQ
    Participant
    • Topics: 54
    • Replies: 149

So, normally, when I mount and set my angles, I set one side to match the existing angle, then just set the other side to the same angle, then start sharpening.  The bevels always turn out matching, to my eye.  On a newly purchased folder, the existing bevels were so messed up, that I decided to re-establish the angles on my Tormek to 25*.  The Tormek did a great job at setting the bevel angels nice and even, again, to my eye.  On to the WE…

Now, when I set left side of the blade to match the new bevel angle, that angle was 24.4*…pretty close to the 25* set by the Tormek.  Problem is, when I set the right side of the blade to 24.4*, it was no where near the set bevel.  I used a marker on the bevel to see what the angle was and it measured out to be 21.7*.  So why the difference?  What angles should I go by?  I re-clamped, but it was no real help.

Toxophilus
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 12

Curious; what folder did you buy?

NorCalQ
    Participant

This is a Ganzo FB762.  Usually the Ganzo knives have been very nicely beveled at the factory, however this one came with less than optimal bevels.

45srbest
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 22

If you know what angle you want to set at, and your sure your knife is set correctly in the WE clamp I would utilize an angle cube to verify my settings. You didn’t mention which model wicked edge you were using or if you used an angle cube.

NorCalQ
    Participant

I have a model WE130 and I do use an angle cube to set angles, so I know that’s pretty accurate.  Again, I did reset the clamp several times to make sure the blade was as close to vertical as possible, but that’s the only place I could figure there would be error.

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

I decided to re-establish the angles on my Tormek to 25*. The Tormek did a great job at setting the bevel angels nice and even, again, to my eye. On to the WE… Now, when I set left side of the blade to match the new bevel angle, that angle was 24.4*…pretty close to the 25* set by the Tormek. Problem is, when I set the right side of the blade to 24.4*, it was no where near the set bevel. I used a marker on the bevel to see what the angle was and it measured out to be 21.7*. So why the difference?

Reads to me that you’re assuming the angle you applied with the Tormek, were the same on both sides.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

NorCalQ
    Participant

Well, like I said, they appeared to be the same, as my eye could tell.  That said, I could be wrong by 3* I guess, but if your careful, it’s pretty hard to be off that much with the Tormek.

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by NorCalQ.
    Toxophilus
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 12

I figure since most of us might be in the same boat (shelter in place), the below might help you or someone else out; regardless it works for me…

One of the challenges I had to learn whether using an earlier style gen clamp or the 3rd gen clamp that I’m using now, is finding the true center of the blade edge in relation to how the clamp grabs the blade.

I favor Spyderco knives with a full flat grind though I found that even though I thought I had them clamped pretty straight the angle cube typically showed a lower angle on the left side of the WE vs the right side.

Below is the method I use (got it from gleaning other’s posts); I’m no mathematician but this forced me to learn…

I use the AAG to record my settings as well as post them into the WE knife settings database.

Yesterday I sharpened my Spyderco Para 3, here’s how I did it to keep the bevels even:

I typically match the pre-existing grind angle on the LEFT side of the WE, in my case the angle was close to 18°; I then placed the RIGHT side of the WE at 18° as well for a starting point.

Using my angel cube (TIP; only use one platen to take your initial Left/Right measurements) the Left side measured 17.70°; the Right side measured 18.43°

Next I take a 1.5″ wide putty knife and butt the Angle cube up against it, I rest the putty knife & angle cube next to the blade on both Left & Right side and record the readings.

Think of the Left side of the WE as your Positive side and the Right side as the Negative side (that’s how I remember it in my mind).
    On the Left I got a reading of 1.74° (pos); on the Right I got a reading of 2.81° (neg); Add the positive reading with the negative reading and I get 1.07°; next I divide this by 2 = .53°

I add .53 to the initial Left positive side reading 17.70 = 18.23°
    I subtract .53 from the initial Right negative side reading 18.43 = 17.90°
    I add these together 18.23 + 17.90= 36.13 inclusive; divide this by two = 18.06° DPS
    If you really want to get it to 18° per side for that particular knife grind, then subtract the .06 from both the Left/Right i.e.
    Left = 18.17°
    Right = 17.84
    Added up = 36.01° divided by 2 I end up with 18.005° DPS

My settings for sharpening this particular blade will be:
    WE Left setting; 18.17°
    WE Right setting; 17.84°

NOTES:

• My rod holders have an adjustment nut so I can dial them in precisely
    • I do this each time I sharpen a knife, even if it’s the same one; it clamps up differently each time

As I’ve written earlier I do this so I can figure out what angles my platens should be set at so I can get even bevels on my folders, even though the Gen 3 is made to hold distally tapered blades better, they don’t eliminate blade lean which can produce one bevel wider than the other.

It sounds like you’ll be re-profiling one side of the blade more than the other; as you look down on the apex of the blade you should be able to see at the tip which side will need more grinding to get you to where you want to be I hold a white business card below the tip so I can see which side needs it;  it may take a few sharpenings.

Attached image is an example of how I measure blade lean with the putty knife, any flat piece of metal will do as long as it has an even thickness (example of what I refer to as the positive side measurement).

thx, RSilva

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by Toxophilus.
    • This reply was modified 4 years ago by Toxophilus.
    Attachments:
    4 users thanked author for this post.
    Don OByrne
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 1

I would check the angle on the tormek with the angle cube ,maybe  the clamp was off on the tormek.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    NorCalQ
    Participant

When I use the Tormek to establish a new angle, translation to the WE is pretty darn close, with the exception of this knife.  It’s a clamping issue for sure, as the finished edges turned out great.  They are as even as my eye can see.  I just didn’t know if this was a common issue or just my own problem.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.