Advanced Search

Uneven blade

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Edward Romero
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 2

<p style=”text-align: center;”>I’m noticing when I sharpen a blade that the back is always lacking sharpness/mirror finish or it seems to look like a different angle I don’t understand what I’m doing wrong</p>

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Welcome Edward Romero: please share with the forum which model W.E. sharpener you use.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Edward Romero
    Participant

I have the Gen 3 Pro

Marc H

This model sharpener should not contribute to your issue.

Are you clamping the knife in it’s “sweet spot”? If a knife is positioned too far off the sweet spot you may have difficulties covering the bevels.

Another common issue is the knife’s size and positioning may be too low to sharpen. In this situation the stones may be contacting the vise and/or jaws preventing the stones from ever reaching and contacting the knife edge. Sometimes you reach only part of the bevel and you keep at it but you can’t seem to improve the edge. If you see a shiny spot on the black vise that has probably occurred.

If neither of the above are the issue, you may just need to work on the heel and the tips. Try using scrubbing, up/down/up/down sharpening strokes to begin with. These will help profile your knife to better match the fixed angle sharpening system the W.E. uses.

Realize that knives sometimes may be ground differently down the length. Depending on the steels thickness it can affect how those areas sharpen.

Probably you just need to spend more time and effort on the knife extremes.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Edward Romero
    Participant

I’ve had this system for a few months so still learning and finding out what techniques work a couple of blade I have re profiled the last blade I sharpened I noticed a gape while I was sharpening so I might not be getting the angle completely towards the back of the blade or dinging the sweet spot, Finding the sweet spot might be the issue also  I do get a bur along the whole blade but I might not be doing it completely thanks for the help!!

Marc H

Use a marker to color the bevel. Watch how you remove the marker when sharpening. It’ll help you see where you’re missing. I suggest you watch this video. It’s a little confusing till about 1:30 where Tom hit’s his stride:

https://youtu.be/-RrvnZRVc-I

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.