Advanced Search

Testing for Sharpness

Viewing 10 posts - 46 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Hey Bill good to see you back!

Victor
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 80

You are not very active in C5 forum anymore but nice to see you back here Bill.

Certainly happy to see you found and enjoying your new WE hobby with like minds!

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 427

I am much more active there  than I am here, simply because I am an expert over there, and hardly qualified to open my mouth here. . Most of my interactions are in Private message over there. There are just too many kids there who think they know something about automotive technology in 2016, using references from the 70’s, that their grandfather taught them when he worked at a Texaco station in the 60’s and drove a Buick.

Victor
    Participant

I understand what you are saying…..Pumba over in C5 has an amazing built, pm him several times, truly a humble man…David Farmer also not very active as before….recently he posted on his new race car built in Autocrossing/Roadracing subforum….explaining why he post less…one of his three comments was: everyone thinks he knows everything….Well…my take on that is – that is common among all forums…regardless of subject matter…human nature at its best…..

However, although many of us are not fortunate enough to have a higher education….few gifted inquisitive minds historically help pushed the envelope of performance that a commoner like myself can appreciate.

Curious Bill, I tried to look you up on a couple of Corvette books I read….tried to find you among the many involved in the Corvette’s development team…I am not very involve in C5 sub forum…so don’t track many of your past threads….just a few on shining up brake rotors and such….so….

Your inquisitive mind here posted many interesting aspects…keep up the enthusiasm, Bill – we are like minds here!

Gib Curry
    Participant
    • Topics: 18
    • Replies: 240

……….. (He says as he listens to the clickity-clak of paring knife cleaning an apple on a glass cutting board wafts from the kitchen.) Clay, now that I’m getting better at visualizing a sharp edge, I shudder to think of what those glass cutting board edges look like under your scope. …. a near mirror polished 180 degree (inclusive) micro-bevel!!

~~~~

With the above quote, imagine a carrot, a knife and a glass cutting board — listen and “enjoy” this sound…. 

~~~~
    For Now,

Gib

Φ

"Everyday edge for the bevel headed"

"Things work out best for those who make the best out of the way things work out."

Attachments:
    3 users thanked author for this post.
    CliffCurry
    Participant
    • Topics: 42
    • Replies: 461

……….. (He says as he listens to the clickity-clak of paring knife cleaning an apple on a glass cutting board wafts from the kitchen.) Clay, now that I’m getting better at visualizing a sharp edge, I shudder to think of what those glass cutting board edges look like under your scope. …. a near mirror polished 180 degree (inclusive) micro-bevel!!

~~~~ With the above quote, imagine a carrot, a knife and a glass cutting board — listen and “enjoy” this sound….

iWKad22

Attachments:
    Victor
    Participant

That is so funny!

Here I am thinking along….Rockstead’s warning on its owner’s paper work, not to use Rockstead to cut on a ceramic plate, it will cut it – but edge will also suffer the consequence…devil side in me…to be honest….tempted…level head side…..NAaaaa:

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I recall reading on Rockstead’s site that their ZDP-189 is hardened to RC 67.  Did they really say it’d cut a ceramic plate?  Maybe they meant ceramic sharpeners?  I guess I can imagine it doing a number on the corners of a SharpMaker.

Lordy, they are beautiful, ain’t they?  Leo Barr (who we haven’t heard from in a while) has one and it’s gorgeous.  And you have three?  Wow!!

Victor
    Participant

Rockstead’s warning is on ceramic plate.

Rockstead’s RHc reading on clad ZDP can vary from their claimed 67 RHc, on my SHIN – 67.2, TEI – 67.9 and the SHUN – 66.6. My past life’s experience concur – Heat treat end results can vary, duration and temperature can be set accurately, but target RHc can be elusive. All three RHc are at an elevated level, I will never test their claim or question the insane sharpness retention. One thing for sure, Rockstead’s attention to detail is rather impressive…on SHUN’s pocket clip – specification stated 50 RHc.

Happen to have this on hand:

Some people can be satisfied having one. I chose the three after careful consideration on each one’s attributes. All nice but rather impractical…practically in term of user to duplicate factory sharpness….

Pitt
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 1

Sharp Edge Tester, to determine whether accessible edges on toys or other products are likely to cause injury. A self-adhesive PTFE tape is attached to a mandrel, which is then rotated for a single 360-degree revolution along the accessible edge being tested. If the tape is cut in half or longer in length (approx. 13 mm), the edge is identified as a hazardous sharp edge. Welcome to click on https://www.testextextile.com/product/sharp-edge-tester-tt811/

Viewing 10 posts - 46 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.