Advanced Search

Testing for Sharpness

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Alan
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 206

I think I am going to take a break from all this stuff and the forum.. allow you guys your pleasure. Its been nice for the most part… 

Have a good night, Bill, and don’t take a break for *too* long.  I value your input here.  See you back soon. 

Alan

CliffCurry
    Participant
    • Topics: 42
    • Replies: 461

Here is I think quantifiably and undeniably the final word on “Razor Sharp” 🙂

1 user thanked author for this post.
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

As part of my experimenting, I bought a Chicago Cutlery cleaver and converted it to a chisel edge, making the edge 20 degrees inclusive.  Some of the razors and scalpels I’ve dissected have had inclusive angles of 20 and 30 degrees, so I’m not surprised that one could shave with a cleaver – although I don’t know if he’s reduced the inclusive angle below the original.

FWIW, the cleaver is a joy to use but the soft steel folds over very easily.

tcmeyer
    Participant

Cliff:  I watched the rant video on razor sharpness by Skallagrim.  As it wrapped up, I saw this one posted alongside.  The weirdest knife mechanism ever.  I agree.

Victor
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 80

Here is I think quantifiably and undeniably the final word on “Razor Sharp” :) <iframe src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/TtBliK5ugDI?feature=oembed&#8221; width=”670″ height=”377″ frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=”allowfullscreen”></iframe>

Most of us understand it is difficult to sharpen free hand and fortunate for us to have systems such as WE for a quick aid. Free hand skill takes time to develop – with proper tutelage,  as witness, even today with the rare Togishi trade in Japan.

This thread is interesting to say the least, which brings me back to the Samurai days in old Japan. I found it interesting after Bladesmith’s work was done, he hand the blade to a Togishi to bring out true life for his blade. After Togishi’s work was done, to verify sharpness, it was used in one skilled stroke and rated as a one, two or three man blade! The higher the number of man, the more value….not in a good position to be any kind of prisoner in those days, where it was the source for human  specimen.

Ancient high valued, gleaming free hand mirror’ed blades through the combined efforts by Master Bladesmith & Togishi exits today. Seeing one in person gives me chicken skin!

2 users thanked author for this post.
    CliffCurry
    Participant

Cliff: I watched the rant video on razor sharpness by Skallagrim. As it wrapped up, I saw this one posted alongside. The weirdest knife mechanism ever. I agree.

My buddy is a collector down the road, he has this little amazing piece of engineering:

So fun to play with…

tcmeyer
    Participant

Looks really interesting – especially for UK users.  A bit pricey at $495 retail.

CliffCurry
    Participant

One of the tests I had originally posted challenged me to try it for myself.  I found it to be a teenie tiny bit harder then I thought.  Perhaps the steeper taper on the primary bevels of a pocket knife make it harder then on a nice thin kitchen knife, but it is possible.

All in all I found it to be, if nothing else, a fun test for sharpness.  My paper testing progression has over time went from something like:

Slicing copy paper
    Push cutting copy paper
    Slicing phone book
    Push cutting phone book
    Push cutting vertical free standing phone book.

The last test was not easy and it got me thinking of how a simple test can indeed equate to a certain level of edge refinement, sharpness, or keenness.
    Note:  Full disclosure this was done on my 1×30 with belts.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

One of the tests I had originally posted challenged me to try it for myself. I found it to be a teenie tiny bit harder then I thought. Perhaps the steeper taper on the primary bevels of a pocket knife make it harder then on a nice thin kitchen knife, but it is possible. All in all I found it to be, if nothing else, a fun test for sharpness. My paper testing progression has over time went from something like: Slicing copy paper Push cutting copy paper Slicing phone book Push cutting phone book Push cutting vertical free standing phone book. The last test was not easy and it got me thinking of how a simple test can indeed equate to a certain level of edge refinement, sharpness, or keenness. Note: Full disclosure this was done on my 1×30 with belts. <iframe src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/B4lBofMpEfQ?feature=oembed&#8221; width=”670″ height=”377″ frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=”allowfullscreen”></iframe>

Always thinking outside the box… love it Cliff!

Gib Curry
    Participant
    • Topics: 18
    • Replies: 240

Resurrecting a theme…

From article:  Paper Cut: Testing Blade Sharpness at

http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/hunting/2014/08/paper-cut-testing-blade-sharpness?src=SOC&dom=fb

Using newspaper test The Bite, The Glide and The Fillet.

And, of course, there’s always these:

Sharpen-Tester

~~~~

(Off Topic)

Nova’s Emperor’s Ghost Army (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/ancient/emperors-ghost-army.html) has some intesting segments on forged “sharp” things….  Watched it after the latest episode of “Forged In Fire”.

Good day, everyone.

For Now…

~~~~
    For Now,

Gib

Φ

"Everyday edge for the bevel headed"

"Things work out best for those who make the best out of the way things work out."

Attachments:
    3 users thanked author for this post.
    Victor
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 80

Resurrecting a theme… From article: Paper Cut: Testing Blade Sharpness at http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/hunting/2014/08/paper-cut-testing-blade-sharpness?src=SOC&dom=fb Using newspaper test The Bite, The Glide and The Fillet. And, of course, there’s always these: Sharpen-Tester ~~~~ (Off Topic) Nova’s Emperor’s Ghost Army (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/ancient/emperors-ghost-army.html) has some intesting segments on forged “sharp” things…. Watched it after the latest episode of “Forged In Fire”. Good day, everyone. For Now…

My hobbies are far and wide, I am active in many forums…noticed you pop up scarcely in the “Green” forum….one commonality….in all forums….there is a guy like you, my Man…..very few posting….but when you do….I listen!

Mahalo!

Victor

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 427

Hello everyone !  Its been three weeks since I’ve been here. Just checking in to see what new. I’ve learned a ton about my own personal knife sharpening over that time. Its been fun, and eye opening.. I find that my go too knives are very practical, accurate, and enjoyable to use. The WE has made a very big and positive difference in my personal kitchen experiences. I am now very spoiled by a sharp knife, and can tell from one day to the next, the level of sharpness, and when the need for a touch up is necessary. I can tell the difference between good quality steel, and a knife that does not hold an edge very well but can be sharpened to an edge of hair splitting sharpness.

I could never have this much fun without the WE making my tools as go9od as they can be.

Hope all is well with everyone

Bill aka ET

3 users thanked author for this post.
    CliffCurry
    Participant

Welcome back Mr. Bill, hope you are doing ok!

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Welcome back Bill! I was just thinking of you today and hoping we’d see you again soon. I’m glad the sharpening and knife use is going well.

-Clay

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Welcome back, Bill! Good to hear you still have wickedly sharp edges .

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.