Advanced Search

Stone / Strop protective covers

Recent Forums Main Forum Sharpener and Accessory Maintenance Stone / Strop protective covers

Tagged: 

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Alan
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 206

Hey guys.  I found this on the WE website.  I’d be interested to buy them for my strops and stones.  Any info on these?  I did a search but didn’t find anything.

WESC4_-_4_pack_large

Alan

Attachments:
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Hey Alan,

Thanks for posting this. The product is now available on the website: https://wickededgeusa.com/collections/care-and-maintenance/products/protective-covers-for-wicked-edge-stones-and-strops. They’re pretty easy to use – you just slide them over the stone or strop to keep contamination out.

-Clay

• This reply was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by wickededge.
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by wickededge. Reason: Updated w/ new information
    5 users thanked author for this post.
    Alan
    Participant

Clay –

Thank you very kindly. 🙂

Alan

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Alan
    Participant

Hey guys.  I ordered a set of these with my most recent WE order.  Just one set so I could see what they were like and also the quality.  I must say, for what they are, they are great!  They are not flimsy plastic, but rather firm.  Pretty sure they’ll last forever.  I think they’re worth the money and are a great solution for protecting my stones and strops.  They are especially excellent for the strops to protect them from any cross contamination.  I’ll be ordering more with my next order.  Happy sharpening!

20180807_08525711

Alan

Attachments:
    4 users thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

I think I’ll be ordering some of these for my strops as well. Thanks for the review.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Alan it looks like they’re designed to have a little space between the plastic cover and the strop surface, so not to have direct contact, when place onto the platens.  Is that a correct observation?

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Alan
    Participant

Hey Marc.  I just checked for that. Yes, there is some space between the stone or strop and cover, so as not to make contact with the surface. They also fit quite snugly, and add some thickness.  I do like them.  A picture says a thousand words…

20180807_10353411

Alan

Attachments:
    4 users thanked author for this post.
    Marc H

Thanks Alan,    To help avoid cross contamination, it’d probably be prudent to label the covers used on the strop platens so they get used repeatedly only with the strop grit it’s labeled to match.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Bill Kirkley
    Participant
    • Topics: 19
    • Replies: 97

These look familiar!

LINK: https://knife.wickededgeusa.com/forums/topic/strop-cover/

6E61CFB2-AE1C-445F-81BB-874D90027C96

• This reply was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by Bill Kirkley.
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by Bill Kirkley.
    Attachments:
    Marc H

“Great minds think alike”

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Marc H

I just received my order for Wicked Edge’s Strop Covers.  They fit beautifully. They are very low profile; a nice design.  They slide on from the end,  stay put, snug and very secure, and don’t contact the diamond abrasive embedded strop’s surface.  I labeled mine to avoid cross contamination when replacing them after using.

For those of you wondering if the WE Strop Covers can be used if you’re keeping your stones in one of my “Rack-Its”.  Here’s your answer:

Labeled-Strop-Covers-in-Rack-It
    Strop-Covers-used-with-Rack-Its

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Attachments:
    5 users thanked author for this post.
    Marc H

I used my strops today with the new WE strop covers for the first time.  I like being able to keep the strop side covered that’s closest to my hands while stropping the knife.  It keeps me from contaminating the strop medium and emulsion as I grip it along with keeping the stropping compound off my hands and fingers.

When I switched strop sides to switch strop grits I just covered up the first side I had just used and uncovered the second side to make use of it.

The strop covers are tight and secure enough to hold them like a handle while using the strop, the covers don’t slip in your grip. Kudos WE!

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

6 users thanked author for this post.
    Ruscal
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 1

I hate to resurrect a dead post, but I was looking for something exactly like these covers only to find they aren’t offered in the shop any longer.  Does anyone know if there are any plans for them to return?  Or, if they’re gone for good, would it be possible to get an STL or OBJ file that I could have someone print?

Thanks,

Ruscal

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by Ruscal.
    Marc H

Welcome to the W.E. forum Ruscal.  Yes, Strop Covers are now available from forum member airscapes. Here is the link to that recent forum post and another recent post for those and other popular accessories

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.