Advanced Search

Strop Cover

Recent Forums Main Forum Off Topic Strop Cover

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Bill Kirkley
    Participant
    • Topics: 19
    • Replies: 97

I recently purchased a set of stones and leather strops.  I like some of the stands posted on the site and borrowed the ideas to make a stand.  There is a lot of discussion about cross contamination of the strops.  I made the covers shown out of PVC.  Do you think this is adequate or do the strops need to be placed in a closed container?

LR-Stone-Stand-01
    LR-Stone-Stand-02

Attachments:
    2 users thanked author for this post.
    Alan
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 206

I don’t know how you made those covers, but they sure are nice.  They should absolutely prevent cross contamination.  I would label each cover, so as to use the same cover each time for the same strop material type and paste.

There’s no need to enclose the strops in a container.

Nice looking stand you made there, too!

Alan

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

Those covers look totally sufficient to prevent cross contamination. Could you show a closeup of them? I’d be interested in seeing how it is that they are constructed.

Bill Kirkley
    Participant

They are machined out of a solid piece of PVC material.  It is scrap siding from an exterior home repair.

Pinkfloyd
    Participant
    • Topics: 22
    • Replies: 208

Looks Nice! It Looks as if you machined it deep enough so that the leather does not rub against the surface when removing or installing covers, so you wont remove polish media. Great design I think!

Bill Kirkley
    Participant

Thanks guys.  I used all of the stones to over sharpen a piece of mild steel so I guess they should be ready for the real thing!

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I recently purchased a set of stones and leather strops. I like some of the stands posted on the site and borrowed the ideas to make a stand. There is a lot of discussion about cross contamination of the strops. I made the covers shown out of PVC. Do you think this is adequate or do the strops need to be placed in a closed container? LR-Stone-Stand-01 LR-Stone-Stand-02

Bill, those are awesome. I 3D printed a set of covers one time that would require us to build a mold to have them mass produced and the cost seemed too much to make it worth it. I think this design could be extruded pretty easily and the die would be much cheaper. Nice idea, thanks for sharing it!

-Clay

Bill Kirkley
    Participant

Thanks. I am revising this post to reflect the final drawing.  I found these dimensions work best. As discussed below I cut the initial slot on a table saw, setting the fence 3/16 inches from the blade.  I ran the blank through once and turned it around and ran it through again so both shoulders are the same 3/16 inch.  I set the blade height to 3/8 inches.  The fence was moved away from the blade a distance less than the blade thickness and the blank was run through twice again.  This is continued until all of the material is removed.  I USED TWO PUSH STICKS.  It is hard to sharpen knives if you are missing fingers!  I used the T slot cutter to cut the 1/8 inch tall slot.  I did this on a milling machine.  I think a router could be set up to do the job but the cutter I described below has a 1/4 inch shank.  I don’t know if most routers have that size collet.

Cover-Plans

Attachments:
    3 users thanked author for this post.
    narcoleptic
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 10

those covers look great! nice work

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

This is awesome! And they look great, too.

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Bill Kirkley
    Participant

I made a new set of strop covers out of Delrin.  I purchased a wood cutting T slot cutter that creates a 1/8 inch high slot.  This was my original plan.  They fit much nicer.  I also made the slot 1 inch wide as opposed to 1.01 inches.  Note that I cut the recess in the material with a table saw so the bottom is not smooth.  This was much faster than milling it.  I think if anyone out there has a router and a table saw they could make a set.

Because I don’t have a need for original set, I am selling my original set on eBay if anyone is interested.  The title is Wicked Edge Strop Covers. Here is a link to the bidding:

<span style=”color: #000000; font-family: Arial;”>http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/272530142070?</span&gt;

These are my new covers (which are not the ones for sale) and a photo of the T slot cutter I bought on amazon:

LR-Delrin-Cover-01
    LR-Delrin-Cover-02
    LR-T-Slot-Cutter

Attachments:
    3 users thanked author for this post.
    Bill Kirkley
    Participant

I labeled the covers as Alan suggested.  My writing isn’t very good so I came up with another way to differentiate the fine and coarse covers. I made another set out of maple and walnut.  They are finished with paste wax.

LR-Wooden-Cover-01
    LR-Wooden-Strop-Cover-02

Attachments:
    1 user thanked author for this post.
    Alan
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 206

One word:  BEAUTIFUL

Alan

Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

Yeah, they’re great!

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Bill Kirkley
    Participant

Thanks.  I revised the 1/3/17 post to reflect my final drawing.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.