Advanced Search

Spyderco Para 2

Recent Forums Main Forum Knife Photos Spyderco Para 2

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Travis Johnston
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 21

Put this in the WE last night

Attachments:
    Travis Johnston
    Participant

First time I held held a PM2, feels good in the hand

Attachments:
    2 users thanked author for this post.
    Travis Johnston
    Participant

pretty solid mirror at 15 dps

Attachments:
    Travis Johnston
    Participant

finished

Attachments:
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Put this in the WE last night

Travis, you might want to run a piece of tape lengthwise down the knife from the ricasso or guard back to the heel covering the knife hinge, locking mechanism, liner and folding space.  This will keep any sharpening debris and steel dust out of the inner workings.  I think it’s easier to keep it clean then to clean it after sharpening it.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Travis Johnston
    Participant

you are correct I had to clean some crap out of it, thanks. I have an old spyderco tenacious and I am going to put a sharpening choil in it as practice before I try it on the PARA 2

Ralph
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 8

I like the idea of using your glasses as a knife holder.

NotSharpEnuff
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 120

I’ve had a Para2 with S110V for a year or more.  Sharpened and touched it up about 10 times trying bevel angles 18-16.  It came with a 20 DPS edge.  Never have been happy with how the steel sharpened.  Best BESS scores were mostly between 120-150 and the edge seemed to chip out at 1000-1500 grit.

I bought a Kershaw 1776 with M390 and was impressed with its ability to take a keen edge without the chipping.  It scored in the 90 range on the BESS with a real nice mirror polish.  This knife is more of a “gentleman’s” knife and was not really suitable for an EDC in the garage like the Para2.

Thanks to forum member Dale, he told me Bentoboxshop.com had PM2s with M390 for sale.  So I picked one up about three weeks ago.  I’ve been using it as my EDC since then and was happy with the edge out of the box.  This afternoon I decided to give it the WE treatment.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by NotSharpEnuff.
    Attachments:
    7 users thanked author for this post.
    NotSharpEnuff
    Participant

Here are the pics after sharpening 200->1500->DLF.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by NotSharpEnuff. Reason: Add more pics
    Attachments:
    8 users thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

Man, that is a killer BESS score. It must be like a laser beam on a handle.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Marc H

I’ve had a Para2 with S110V for a year or more. Sharpened and touched it up about 10 times trying bevel angles 18-16. It came with a 20 DPS edge. Never have been happy with how the steel sharpened. Best BESS scores were mostly between 120-150 and the edge seemed to chip out at 1000-1500 grit.

Ed did you ever sharpen the S110V model with a Shapton Whetsone progression, edge leading only.  I use a mostly perpendicular sharpening angled stroke.  I’d love to know if that would help with the chip out issue with the diamond stones.  I use only whetstones to sharpen all of my very hard chip prone steels now, with good results, where I had sharpening failures with diamond stones in the past.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

NotSharpEnuff
    Participant

Organic,

That is the sharpest (keenest) edge I have ever gotten on a knife.  I tested it 3 times in the same general location and got scores in the 60s.  It took 2.5 hours and there are still some faint scratches barely visible to the naked eye in the mirror polish.  I rarely get a perfect mirror edge so I’m good with how this one turned out.

After I use it as my EDC for a week or two, I will post updated scores.  If it holds an edge that is comparable to S110V, as some reviews indicate, I will be very happy.

Ed K.

NotSharpEnuff
    Participant

MarcH,

I have tried both the Chosera and the Shapton stones and the edge still is ragged under the microscope.  It is to the point that I’m willing to mail it to you for a second opinion – on my dime – if you want to experiment.  I’m not ruling out my technique might be the problem.

Ed K.

Marc H

I’m up for the opportunity.  Thanks…

Please include your clamping/positioning settings and indicate which alignment guide you employed to set it up and the bevel angle you prefer I profile it with.

FYI: I will be using the “no longer produced” Shapton Glass Stones, whetstones.  Is that an issue?

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

NotSharpEnuff
    Participant

MarcH – I will send a pic or two with the knife clamped as I sharpen it as well as an outline of the vise jaws.  I won’t sharpen it beforehand, it will arrive in the condition I’ve been using it.

I will also check the bevel angle and current sharpness scores before I mail it.  I’ll put this information on the blade as well.

Looking forward to your analysis and if the Shapton Glass stones make a difference.

Ed K.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.