Advanced Search

Sebenza Chip

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Fuelboat
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 24

I got a chip on my small Sebenza. I got the knife awhile ago second hand and have not sharpened it yet. I have been using it and noticed I put a chip in the blade. The chip is 1/4″ from the back of the blade. Looking for ideas on the best way to fix it. I have a Field and Sport Pro. Thanks

Attachments:
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

I would suggest you continue to sharpen the knife as usual.  The chip will get removes with a couple of regular sharpening sessions.  I wouldn’t waste the knife steel trying to remove the chip all in the first sharpening.

This chip may suggest you might want to reconsider your bevel angle.  Maybe go a degree or two more obtuse looking to prevent future chips, like this one.

From the pictures it looks more like the blade rolled under pressure then cleanly chipped off.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

I’ll second Marc’s recommendation that you proceed as tho the chip wasn’t there, especially because of where the chip is – close to the heel/ricasso, but I wouldn’t change the angle yet.  The chip could be the result of internal stresses related to the hardening process.  It could also be the result of hitting some very hard object.  Or it could be from a rolled edge as Marc suggests.   We don’t know if the steel is too hard or too soft or too stressed internally.  Or if the damage was caused by something unrelated.  Sharpen it as though the chip wasn’t there and watch for further damage to appear.  If it does, then evaluate the evidence and proceed with your plan B.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Fuelboat
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 24

Thanks for the info. Will be working on the knife Friday.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.