Advanced Search

Scissor Sharpening with a Stock PP2?

Viewing 3 posts - 46 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

:unsure: what grit are y’all starting with on the scissors ( using the WEPS ) if if your push a burr, how are you removing that from the back / flat side of the scissor blade ? ( do you take them apart and lapp the flat side on some higher grit sandpaper adhered to a known flat surface like a piece of float glass, or 12 x 12 tile , granite, etc . ?

I start with a fine stone usually the 600g or 800g diamond and just use that to sharpen. If there’s a lot of damage, I might go back a step, but usually not necessary. Raise as little burr as possible. Usually, if you match the bevel, it doesn’t take much to sharpen them.

To deburr, just spread the edges enough so they can’t touch, close the scissors, then push the edges together and open them. Do this a couple of times. The goal being you don’t want any burr to end up between the blades. After this, I’ll usually make a cut or two on a shop towel. I was taught not to touch the inside unless absolutely necessary.

This is for the normal scissors you run across… no idea about hair shears. (Well, I have an idea, but having never done them, don’t know for sure.) :side:

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

You can remove the burr just by putting the flat back onto the finishing stone and pull the flat along the stone with the edge trailing – a little like honing(or sharpening a Yanagi) two or thee swipes across should remove the burr. Once you have both blades de-burred close the blades whilst pushing the tips outwards so there is minimum contact then squeeze the blades together as you open them repeat the process 2/3 times before you close the scissors in a normal manner.

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

The way I was trained on the TAS was this… sharpen both blades to a burr, but don’t touch the other side. Pull the blades apart as you close the scissors, then press them together as you open it. Do this 3-5 times to make sure your burr is straightened out. Then the next step is actually (on the TAS anyway) to increase your grit (i.e. next step up in higher polish) and you hone one of the blades again. At this point you actually close the scissors without pulling the blades apart so that way it actually “shears” the burr off of the one edge, and then do the same to the other blade. Hope this helps on the WEPS =)

Viewing 3 posts - 46 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.