Advanced Search

Scissor Sharpening with a Stock PP2?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Ziggy
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 177

Wow! Zig thanks for the education!! You answered so many questions that came up for me watching vids. So I guess the Ookami is the one to get? It seems like if you do some nicer scissors it will be able to accommodate the customer?
    I really appreciate you taking the time!! :cheer:

No prob!
    There are a lot of vids out there, very useful info.

The Ookami Gold package gives you both wheel sets, lower grit and finer grit, along with the package of block/paper, practice shears and other goodies.

Call Wolff and see how much the upgrade is. You may just want the regular pro model to start. If things warrant it you can always get the other parts.

Same with the convex clamp .. $200 clams … will you need it and when?

The TAS is old tech but has its place in the shop.
    Like a Tormex, you’ll find uses for it.

Right now, I’m not aggressively going after salons, so end up mostly using the standard wheels for fabric and household shears as thats what I’m getting.
    I throw the Ookami wheels on when I get the occasional decent shear from a home owner.

Leo, overall, its really pretty small and light.
    I may get a 2nd machine on its own as I have the wheels …. changing wheels is somewhat a PITA.

Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

I haven’t looked into all the upgrade packages… but one of my best friends is the primary scissor sharpening trainer for Wolff at their primary business location here in Spartanburg, SC. He hooked me up w/ some very helpful training on the TAS. I actually watched him completely convex a beveled edge into a mirror finished, can’t-tell-it-was-beveled at all edge. He did this with the upgrade kit to the TAS and it took about 15-20 minutes. He said w/ the Hira-To flat hone (cost around $2k I believe) he can do them in 10 minutes (which, at $20-30/scissor isn’t bad). I actually have seen the Hira-To in action as well, and it is variable speed and virtually fool proof w/ the incredible jigs Wolff offers.

As Zig stated, both the sanding blocks/sand paper and the water stones work great for honing the ride line.

I will actually be targeting fabric/household type scissors that are used by businesses in the near future… I can charge $6-7.50/pair and per my friend, when you get good, you can get your time down on the TAS to 2-3 minutes. Not bad for a business =)

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Wow! Zig thanks for the education!! You answered so many questions that came up for me watching vids. So I guess the Ookami is the one to get? It seems like if you do some nicer scissors it will be able to accommodate the customer?
    I really appreciate you taking the time!! :cheer:

Call Wolff and see how much the upgrade is. You may just want the regular pro model to start. If things warrant it you can always get the other parts.

Same with the convex clamp .. $200 clams … will you need it and when?

Right now, I’m not aggressively going after salons, so end up mostly using the standard wheels for fabric and household shears as thats what I’m getting.
    [/quote]

Yeah I think your right! The Pro model will do everything I’m Looking for. I thought about going after the salons and They (stylist) are just not the market I want these days? :ohmy: (No offense meant if you are a stylist?) And if I did I think I would want the flat hone just to make sure! Stylist pay REAL money for their scissors and I don’t want to be buying new ones for them! :S
    I am however interested in doing the ones I do get done correctly. Lucky for me the pair that broke are cheap enough to replace, but doing that sure takes away any profit for the day! :blink:
    Again I have to say I love this forum :woohoo: I learn so much here and it is a great group of guys! B)

Ziggy
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 177

I actually watched him completely convex a beveled edge into a mirror finished, can’t-tell-it-was-beveled at all edge. He did this with the upgrade kit to the TAS and it took about 15-20 minutes.

I will actually be targeting fabric/household type scissors that are used by businesses in the near future… I can charge $6-7.50/pair and per my friend, when you get good, you can get your time down on the TAS to 2-3 minutes. Not bad for a business =)

REK, the edge doesn’t care that you used a wheel. If it cuts, it cuts.
    Depending on competition in the area, then salons see the difference visually as flat hones do a “nicer” job, especially on those colored shears :dry: , pinky in the air stuff 🙂

I know a guy that has a thriving biz … 3 TAS’s and a Clipper grinder. He’s talented and will take on the expensive shears so it is doable.

On Fabric, hit the craft stores and fabric shops and ask/find the clubs, good source.
    Here they can’t find anyone!
    Also, groomers …. many are flat bevel and need teeth to get through the tuff hair.
    Barbers are a good flat scissor go to as well.

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant

I haven’t looked into all the upgrade packages… but one of my best friends is the primary scissor sharpening trainer for Wolff at their primary business location here in Spartanburg, SC. He hooked me up w/ some very helpful training on the TAS. I actually watched him completely convex a beveled edge into a mirror finished, can’t-tell-it-was-beveled at all edge. He did this with the upgrade kit to the TAS and it took about 15-20 minutes. He said w/ the Hira-To flat hone (cost around $2k I believe) he can do them in 10 minutes (which, at $20-30/scissor isn’t bad). I actually have seen the Hira-To in action as well, and it is variable speed and virtually fool proof w/ the incredible jigs Wolff offers.

As Zig stated, both the sanding blocks/sand paper and the water stones work great for honing the ride line.

Josh,
    Sorry 🙁 I completely missed your input when I answered Zig. I think you nail it on the head as well! 😛 $7.50 for a couple minutes work is real doable!! I’m pretty darn sure I can make the system pay for itself. :cheer:

Clay,
    Would love to hear your thoughts? Pro/Con should I spend the money or wait for you? I would much rather put money in your pocket :woohoo: then in Wolf’s!! Yes-No-Maybe??? :huh:

Fred Hermann
    Participant
    • Topics: 30
    • Replies: 188

I had to use a q-tip as an angle shim to get the scissors to an angle the WEPS could handle.

I need a picture I guess… I stuck a Q-tip everywhere I could think… couldn’t figure it out. :side:

Can you snap one or two?[/quote]

Sorry for the slow response.
    I’ll try to get a picture or three asap.
    The picture of wedging is how I used it, and wow, great info guys.
    As an aside, I only finished Mom’s scissors to 800 grit on the main face so they stayed a little ‘toothy’

Daniel maloon
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 209

Who put a mirror edge on a pair of fiskers covered with old fish guts today ??…this guy

t

Daniel maloon
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 209

Last one. Cool photo I think

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Nice work Dan. :woohoo:

I was playing around with ideas to sharpen scissors and took my old angle arm (that I have mounted to a piece of aluminum), and came up with this…

…clamped it 90 deg. to the main bar, and matched the angle using a Sharpie. Got ’em sharp! 🙂 (My first scissors on the WE!)

Attachments:
    Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

That looks like an interesting solution for scissors that almost looks like it would work for chisels as well.

Jed Bowen
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 57

A great and cheap solution that I already have the pieces to since I made up my axe jig and took your advice for that setup. I will say that this cheap setup will work with a couple of tweaks to keep it from moving around, but good and simple.

I hate to see this but if we keep up making our own gadgets like this maybe Clay will speed up his gizmo line. But I hope someone will come up with a good serration sharpener so we don’t have to wait another 6 months.

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant

Curtis.
    Outstanding! That is really using some ingenuity. Do you think you could do a convex edge that way? Like we do for the knives?
    Thanks, Eamon

Jed Bowen
    Participant
    • Topics: 8
    • Replies: 57

Hate to say it but I purchased theTwice as Sharp system to do scissors with. I tried the WE setup but did not like how long it was taking me to do and that the scissors tended to flex when sharpening.

Now the think I love to say is that by having the machine it payed for 2/3 of it is purchase price the first week I had it. Yes I made $200 the first week doing scissors at the farmers market and sharpening for ladies at work. So hopefully it will be paid off by the end of next week. I did charge $5 for the basic sharpenings but I charged a premium to clean up and polish the blades then paint the handles. So in my opinion the TAS is worth the price. Now I need some more days off from work to find some more scissor business. With this I am starting to really confided a mobile sharpening van or old ambulance to work out of.

DARRELL ALLEN
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 113

Nice work Dan. :woohoo:

I was playing around with ideas to sharpen scissors and took my old angle arm (that I have mounted to a piece of aluminum), and came up with this….clamped it 90 deg. to the main bar, and matched the angle using a Sharpie. Got ’em sharp! 🙂 (My first scissors on the WE!)

That’s a pretty clever idea for scissor sharpening Curtis, thanks for sharing / posting that. 🙂

DARRELL ALLEN
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 113

:unsure: what grit are y’all starting with on the scissors ( using the WEPS ) if if your push a burr, how are you removing that from the back / flat side of the scissor blade ? ( do you take them apart and lapp the flat side on some higher grit sandpaper adhered to a known flat surface like a piece of float glass, or 12 x 12 tile , granite, etc . ?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.