Advanced Search

Scissor Sharpening with a Stock PP2?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Fred Hermann
    Participant
    • Topics: 30
    • Replies: 188

Anyone have a link to soem scissor sharpening tips that would work with a PP2?

I’ve got a set I want to play with. It’s a Mundial set of tailor shears.
    The thumb piece (top) looks to be a 30 degree bevel with ground in perpendicular grooves to help catch cloth. Seems simple enough except for the hollow grind on the backside.

The finger piece (bottom) looks to be the problem as by eye it looks like about a 70 ish degree bevel.
    So do you do those by hand?

Also for the hollow grind, do you just do a few fine swipes to remove the burr?

I have to assume this has been asked somewhere, I just can’t find it….plus I put it here because it wasn’t obvious what topic this fit under.

Thanks all!

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 513

Anyone have a link to soem scissor sharpening tips that would work with a PP2?

I have to assume this has been asked somewhere, I just can’t find it….plus I put it here because it wasn’t obvious what topic this fit under.

Thanks all!

I’ve been trying to get answers for scissor sharping as well? :huh: Not a lot of good info out there? :huh: Any tips would be greatly appreciated! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Fred Hermann
    Participant

Nothing?
    I figured someone would scream “don’t do it!”

Or…point me at 35 links of data…

Not finding what I’m looking for on the obvious searched sites.

Johpe
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 71

I ended up free handing my scissors since both sides were over 35 degrees and thus not possible to do in the WEPS. Next time they need sharpening I’m considering reprofiling them to fit in the WEPS and see how that holds up.

I’d be interested in any thoughts or experiences on scissor sharpening as well.

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant

Nothing?
    I figured someone would scream “don’t do it!”

Or…point me at 35 links of data…

Not finding what I’m looking for on the obvious searched sites.

Lets ask the Master?
    Clay can you provide us with any of your personal experience? I thought I heard your were coming out with a attachment? Is there a way you have found that would help us in the mean time?
    Thank you sir!
    Eamon

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

Scissors are anywhere between 50-80ร‹ลก(often each blade is a different angle

and often the angle changes along the blade if you do manage to rig them up on the WE then use the dominant angle and also use a sharpie)I would not lower the angle what you may be able to do is stick a wedge or two behind the blade since you may well be able to drop the beveled side down enough so the higher settings on the WE will reach the bevel although you will need long vice bolts to achieve this I await by WE so I cannot exactly say if it will work.
    I have an Edge Pro and there is a special scissor attachment although if they are large scissors freehanding should be easy .
    Shapen the bevel then when you finish put the back of the blade on the finishing stone to remove the burr.
    Once you have done both blades (or one only)close the handles whilst pushing the blades apart until they are closed then squeeze the points together as you open them repeat 3/4 times and the gently close the blades they should feel smooth then.

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant

Once you have done both blades (or one only)close the handles whilst pushing the blades apart until they are closed then squeeze the points together as you open them repeat 3/4 times and the gently close the blades they should feel smooth then.

Leo,
    Thank you that is a great tip! ๐Ÿ˜‰ I had no idea there was something to do when done? :woohoo:

Fred Hermann
    Participant

I saw that tip on a youtube video, it was the one great thing I’ve found in the research so far. And this guy did things to those scissors that made me cringe, he was why people complain about a so called professional ruining their knife/scissors/bladed-do-dad.
    Ah well, without guys like that, we wouldn’t look so good!

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant

Scissors are anywhere between 50-80ร‹ลก(often each blade is a different angle

and often the angle changes along the blade if you do manage to rig them up on the WE then use the dominant angle and also use a sharpie)I would not lower the angle what you may be able to do is stick a wedge or two behind the blade since you may well be able to drop the beveled side down enough so the higher settings on the WE will reach the bevel although you will need long vice bolts to achieve this I await by WE so I cannot exactly say if it will work.
    I have an Edge Pro and there is a special scissor attachment although if they are large scissors freehanding should be easy .
    Shapen the bevel then when you finish put the back of the blade on the finishing stone to remove the burr.

Okay a friend brought over two scissors to sharpen. Both are made by “Wiss Inland”. One pair is really bulky looks like a linen type scissor, black handles, it’s old timer. The other pair are paper type with a finger “chole” on the bottom handle, looks like chrome handles till you get to the blade then carbon looking with patina. Old timer too, kinda cool. She actually cuts her hair with these? I really don’t think that is their intended purpose?
    Okay the question is? Under the loupe the grind seems very coarse? Do you stay with coarse stones/files? Is there a rule of thumb? I am not sure what to do? I will tackle them if someone can answer this question?
    Please and thank you,
    Eamon

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

Here’s an old thread on scissors, that you may want to take a look at.

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant

Here’s an old thread on scissors, that you may want to take a look at.

Curtis,
    That is what I was trying to find out? What grit, where do you stop? :S I’m going to try the linen one’s tonight :unsure: Please say a prayer to the scissor Gods. ๐Ÿ˜†
    Thank you,
    Eamon

Eamon Mc Gowan
    Participant

Houston we have lift off! Lol ๐Ÿ˜†
    Everything went great. Took them apart Used the sharpie trick to tell every time I took off metal? Went from 200-600 diamonds. Put them back together. Then tried to cut bond paper? Success ๐Ÿ˜› Stepped it up a notch and did the wet toilet paper test in different cutting lengths and they worked like a charm. :woohoo:
    A big thank you to all who helped! ๐Ÿ˜‰ B)

ps don’t you just love it when a plan comes together? :whistle:

Leo Barr
    Participant
    • Topics: 26
    • Replies: 812

Sounds good did you do them on the WE or just used the paddles from the WE?
    I normally stop at 1200 grit on the EP although if I do hair shears I take them to 6000 grit tapes.

Fred Hermann
    Participant

I had a smashing success as well.
    I never even fooled with the angle gauge, I had to use a q-tip as an angle shim to get the scissors to an angle the WEPS could handle. Used the sharpie trick, and was off and running.

The trick for removal of the burr works great, and I did the back side/concave with just a little 1000 grit sandpaper for clean up.

To test, I used a single ply of toilet paper, and wow these are sharp. My mother in law is extremely happy, but her comment was…

” Once again you’ve given me something that’s so sharp I have to worry if it’s too sharp. first it was all the knives in the kitchen, then my purse knife…” It goes on and on ๐Ÿ™‚

So if the angle is too high for the WEPS to handle, the shim worked great.

Bill
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 20

The only solution I have found for scissor sharpening was the ” Twice As Sharp”. I bought it from All Brands, and it cost about $300.00. It does an excellent job on all types of shears. except hair shears. Since I sharpen knives at farmers markets this is a service I needed to include…..Bill

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.