Advanced Search

Removing burr and unequal sharp sides

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    SHVentus
    Participant
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 64

Ackkkk, an edge worm! :ohmy:

Mr.Wizard
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 190

Here’s a burr I happened to catch just as it was separating from the edge…

Very nice. What had taken place just before this? Was this burr coming off as the result of normal sharpening strokes or something else?

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Here’s another great picture of a burr, not really a foil or wire like in Tom’s photo, but it shows how the overhanging metal can easily be pushed from side to side until it weakens and peels off like in Tom’s photo:

The photo is from the Science of Sharp blog[/url]. There are some other great photos of burrs on the page.

-Clay

Mr.Wizard
    Participant

Another great image from scienceofsharp! That one is a perfect example of what I meant when I said a burr is any metal that remains past the target geometry. In that image I suppose the target geometry is something like this:

It’s also a good example of why at least with some burrs ripping it off with wood doesn’t work so well; it’s not going to leave behind a pristine and level edge.

Attachments:
    Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

Another great image from scienceofsharp! That one is a perfect example of what I meant when I said a burr is any metal that remains past the target geometry. In that image I suppose the target geometry is something like this:

It’s also a good example of why at least with some burrs ripping it off with wood doesn’t work so well; it’s not going to leave behind a pristine and level edge.

Yeah what I think me and Ziggy are talking about more are images like Tom’s where it has been been bent back and forth so much it is so weak and falling or about to fall off that dragging it through wood helps remove it. But in situations like this image I don’t really see how it would help, this is where I am curious what Bluntcut’s method looks like under an SEM.

Mr.Wizard
    Participant

Indeed. I think there is probably quite a large difference in effect with that between the two types or stages of burr.

Is Bluntcut’s method to scrape or fold it to one side, then grind into it on the next pass?

Ziggy
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 177

Yeah what I think me and Ziggy are talking about more are images like Tom’s where it has been been bent back and forth so much it is so weak and falling or about to fall off that dragging it through wood helps remove it. But in situations like this image I don’t really see how it would help, this is where I am curious what Bluntcut’s method looks like under an SEM.

Most definitely used then things are bad , weak, or early staged.
    Even then, you can see by eye where some sticks, some doesn’t.

For me, the real objective is when coarse grits no longer easily make a visible burr, that’s when I mention rock bottom.
    MW, correct, from that stage on, its a different burr.
    At that point, I’m then starting to smooth the edge out as well.

By the time I’m not using wood, I’m making a burr anywhere from 400 to 800, depending on metal quality.

For me, in later stages after wood, the burr is minimal and can be almost pushed off, that’s when I like the felt.
    At the end, even felt and boron.

Its not unlike abused bread knives, when you can really see the bent metal in the scallops and popping on the backside.

Aggressive action at first, softening as you go on till the flakes stop forming in the scallops when you do the backside.
    Its almost as if the scallop itself is one big burr until you get to solid metal, sometimes surprising on how long it takes to get there.

Josh
    Participant

I can see how something like this would be removed w/ felt/soft wood>

I am eagerly waiting Todd’s conclusions about burr minimization techniques to create the strongest edge!

Josh
    Participant

Indeed. I think there is probably quite a large difference in effect with that between the two types or stages of burr.

Is Bluntcut’s method to scrape or fold it to one side, then grind into it on the next pass?

Yes… watch his video in that link when you get time. I am leaning toward agreement w/ Cliff Stamp on this one though, that that will make weak/fractured metal at the very apex.

Mr.Wizard
    Participant

Thanks. I did watch most of that video but I didn’t read the rest of the thread. I wanted to make sure that that is the method people were referring to.

Zamfir
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 346

Thanks. I did watch most of that video but I didn’t read the rest of the thread. I wanted to make sure that that is the method people were referring to.

Which video you talking about?

Mr.Wizard
    Participant

And although I have not done this myself, please check out this thread… interesting technique used by Bluntcut and others.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1249588-Invincible-wire-edge-!!

mike
    Participant
    • Topics: 13
    • Replies: 33

hmm, i thought that with alternating strokes the burr comes off automatically

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

For the most part, I think you’re correct. If there’s any burr left, it’s very, very small.

Sam Andrews
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

I have had good luck removing the burr and leaving a nice edge
    using the carbide cutter from Sharpens Best. The burr often keeps
    jumping from side to side, but several passes going side to side will
    eventually clip it off. It is a nice portable little tool, and if a burr pops
    up during use, you can clip it off again.

As others have mentioned, it is easy to end up with a burr even when
    you are alternating strokes on both sides. I have observed that the
    wider the bevel is the easier it is for the stones to ride up and miss
    the cutting edge due to one reason or another. As mentioned in my
    original blog, I have been totally excited with the results of the dual
    bevel procedure. Putting on a the very thin second bevel during
    the last steps has the stones working a very narrow bevel, thus
    making a correct precise cut at the edge every stroke. I have had
    much less problem with burrs, shiny spots, catchy spots, etc.,
    when finishing up on a tiny second bevel.

Don’t know anything about burr theory, but hopefully this is a
    couple of practical mechanical details that help.

Carbide Cutter Reference: http://www.sharpensbest.com

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.