Advanced Search

Pro pack II set screws

Recent Forums Main Forum Suggestion Box Pro pack II set screws

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 129 total)
  • Author
    craftyhack
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 48

I liked it as well but let the machine shop guys talk me into the other style.

Was it changed simply to lower cost?

It would seem the clamp idea is usual practice to achieve the result you require.
    If not cost or manufacture time/effort, I wonder why?

The thumbscrews might take years to damage the thread if only thumbs are used.
    But not long if a wrench is invoved. 😉

Thanks Clay.

edit – If “I” had a choice, put me on the list for a clamp![/quote]
    +1 on the clamp for me.

Given the pressure law, even thumbs on stainless screws against the edge of a thread(even another stainless) can quickly cause enough damage to ream out the aluminum clamp I think.

Another issue, over time as the arm bolt to bracket loosens up, using the set screw to tighten can also potentially move the arm slightly forward or backward depending on where you are hitting the thread, enough to throw off a micro bevel anyway. The clamp would completely prevent that as well.

Chris
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 351

Given the pressure law, even thumbs on stainless screws against the edge of a thread(even another stainless) can quickly cause enough damage to ream out the aluminum clamp I think.

Another issue, over time as the arm bolt to bracket loosens up, using the set screw to tighten can also potentially move the arm slightly forward or backward depending on where you are hitting the thread, enough to throw off a micro bevel anyway. The clamp would completely prevent that as well.

I totally agree, this guy in the machine shop should keep his opinions to himself. 😉
    It’s not rocket science.

I refuse to use mine as it is, I can only see problems in the future for Clay if he doesn’t do something.
    Considering WEPS has a lifetime warranty.

Scott
    Participant
    • Topics: 27
    • Replies: 121

There was some talk about replacing the screws that came with the original Pro Pack 2 kits. Has anything been happening with those? I haven’t seen anything here or received mine. Was wondering if I missed something. Still waiting to hear from WE.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

There was some talk about replacing the screws that came with the original Pro Pack 2 kits. Has anything been happening with those? I haven’t seen anything here or received mine. Was wondering if I missed something. Still waiting to hear from WE.

Hey Scott,

I was just wondering about you this morning, thinking I hadn’t seen you on the forum for a bit. Have you got the smaller, black screws? If so, and especially if you’ve replied to the email, then you’re on the list for the recall. I know that the machine shop is rushing to get the new L-Brackets made and shipped but I don’t have a concrete timeline yet. I’ll post about it as soon as I know.

-Clay

Scott
    Participant

Hey Scott,

I was just wondering about you this morning, thinking I hadn’t seen you on the forum for a bit. Have you got the smaller, black screws?

Well I am impressed that you even knew I have been absent for a time. I have dropped in to lurk occasionally but haven’t been sharpening because of some projects I been consumed by around the house while my wife was in Italy traveling on business.

I do have the smaller black screws. Thanks for the update, I appreciate that you are working on it with all that you have on your plate. It is greatly appreciated. Look forward to getting the proper parts when you can. I think it will make a difference.

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

Not sure if it matters… but I too noticed your absence.

That whole water stone thing I did was to answer a question that you asked.
    I hope that you read it …

Anyway, glad you are well and surviving with those horrible :S black screws…
    (said tongue firmly in cheek!)

🙂

Happy Turkey (Thanksgiving) day to all..
    Even you poor folks that don’t participate in celebrating this national day of thanks for where we in the US come from..and general gluttony with family and friends.
    👿

Phil

Scott
    Participant

You guys crack me up. This is great. They say your never missed or appreciated until your gone. Well, thankfully I am not gone. This has really become a great little community you guys are almost like the brothers I never had and your words are appreciated. I did read the water stone thread and you did a great job. When I can free up some (actually quite a large sum) money, I will indulge myself with the water stones, based in large part on your work and reports. For now Christmas and holiday travel will prohibit this. Plus as a result of Sandy back east, I have evaluated my survival plan and found it lacking, so I invested in a standby generator. And now my wife wants me to go to Paris (yes, with her) for vacation in the beginning of next year. So only so much to go around for now.

And I am surviving despite my little black screws.

Chris
    Participant

I’ll post about it as soon as I know.

I see Bob is telling people here “They are estimating to have the parts in to ship in 2 to 3 weeks currently.”.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1011146-Wicked-edge-pro-pack-1-vs-pro-pack-2?p=11516409#post11516409

Chris
    Participant

I also see Bob now has the new “L” brackets/screws.

“We Have Received the Recall Parts, these are the latest and greatest arms.”

http://www.oldawan.com/Products.html

I know that the machine shop is rushing to get the new L-Brackets made and shipped but I don’t have a concrete timeline yet. I’ll post about it as soon as I know.

Can we expect an announcement soon? 😉

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

The recall parts are already shipping out to customers… I believe the majority have already gone out.

Chris
    Participant

Good stuff, I guess I will get mine before christmas.

What are the changes?

craftyhack
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 48

Good stuff, I guess I will get mine before christmas.

What are the changes?

The original prototype clamp version is probably wishful thinking, but I’ll take it… :D.

Chris
    Participant

The original prototype clamp version is probably wishful thinking, but I’ll take it… :D.

I would like that too.

I’m guessing this is it?

If I can get some more length on the ball joint stud, I’ll try a large/thin locknut on the back. 😉

Got the socket head put into my ball joints this week! :cheer:

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 570

Billy, doesn’t your set up already have the “L” bracket, or are those being replaced?

Chris
    Participant

I got the black screws also! :ohmy:

I’ve got a guy trying to get some more length on the stud, then I will put a big thumb screw on the back.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 129 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.