Advanced Search

Pro pack II set screws

Recent Forums Main Forum Suggestion Box Pro pack II set screws

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 129 total)
  • Author
    Toney Copen
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 6

Greetings,

I received my pro pack II a couple of days ago. I need Clay to address an issue I’m having. The original angle arms have set screws that are rounded on the end allowing them to set inside the pre-drilled angle indention’s. The new pro pack two set screws are flat on the ends and doesn’t allow for a proper angle adjustment. I tried using the old set screws with the new arms but they are too big. Do you offer the set screws for the new pro pack with rounded ends?

I have attached a pic for reference.

Help because I want to get back to sharpening!

Thanks Clay

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Hi Toney,

Thank you for writing. We’re hearing about this with last batch of upgraded arms we went out. Our machine shop took the liberty of switching the screws without notifying us. They should be #10-32 Stainless Steel Socked Head Cap Screws with a Knurled Head that have been lathed to a conical point. Instead they sent #8-32 screws. We’re working with them to rectify the situation ASAP. I should have more answers on how to proceed to replacing yours tomorrow.

–Clay

-Clay

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 568

I had the same problem with one of mine, thought it was a problem with the tap job for the angle arm unit at first till I switched screws with the side that was ok. Got a machine screw from hardware store to stabilize it. Put it on the non dimpled side . Works fine.

Have email and voice mail in to WE re what my problem turned out to be.

Machine screw works fine, just not as convenient as a thumb screw.

Geocyclist
    Participant
    • Topics: 25
    • Replies: 524

I am waiting on my PP + upgrade kit arrive. Is any part of the WEPS have threaded holes? Or does it just nuts on the end of the bolts?

If there are threaded holes on the WEPS I don’t see how 8-32 would fit (without force or re-tapping the hole) when it is tapped for 10-32.

Fred Hermann
    Participant
    • Topics: 30
    • Replies: 188

I think he forgot the picture. I’d love to see what he meant, as I’m a little confused by his description.

Chris
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 351

Our machine shop took the liberty of switching the screws without notifying us. They should be #10-32 Stainless Steel Socked Head Cap Screws with a Knurled Head that have been lathed to a conical point. Instead they sent #8-32 screws.

In this earlier thread you simply say there are two sizes.

“Hey Dennis,
    Great question. Some have #10-32 and some have #8-32. It looks like you’ve got the ones with the #8-32 screws.”

http://wickededgeusa.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=13&id=6372&Itemid=63#6373

Were you hoping it wouldn’t be an issue Clay?
    Was wondering why you never answered the guy that asked why you changed them?

Are all the “black” screws #8-32?

wickededge
    Keymaster

Our machine shop took the liberty of switching the screws without notifying us. They should be #10-32 Stainless Steel Socked Head Cap Screws with a Knurled Head that have been lathed to a conical point. Instead they sent #8-32 screws.

In this earlier thread you simply say there are two sizes.

“Hey Dennis,
    Great question. Some have #10-32 and some have #8-32. It looks like you’ve got the ones with the #8-32 screws.”

http://wickededgeusa.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=13&id=6372&Itemid=63#6373

Were you hoping it wouldn’t be an issue Clay?
    Was wondering why you never answered the guy that asked why you changed them?

Are all the “black” screws #8-32?[/quote]

I guess I missed the question before. The machine shop switched the spec without consulting me and I tried them and didn’t find an issue so we went ahead and sent them out. I’m working with them to remedy the situation now.

-Clay

Chris
    Participant

I’m working with them to remedy the situation now.

Did they think using smaller screws would remove the need to machine the point?

wickededge
    Keymaster

I’m working with them to remedy the situation now.

Did they think using smaller screws would remove the need to machine the point?[/quote]

I’m not sure what the thinking was.

-Clay

Chris
    Participant

Are “all” the black screws #8-32?

wickededge
    Keymaster

Are “all” the black screws #8-32?

Yes, I think so. I need find out how many we sent out with the #8-32 screws. I should know tomorrow.

-Clay

Chris
    Participant

If there are threaded holes on the WEPS I don’t see how 8-32 would fit (without force or re-tapping the hole) when it is tapped for 10-32.

#8-32 is smaller!
    So it seems they threaded a new, smaller hole instead of the usual #10-32 one.
    Do they now simply send out “pointy” #8-32 screws or recall the “L” brackets, drill/tap and fit the original #10-32 screws?
    I’m guessing new screws. 😉

http://www.engineersedge.com/screw_threads_chart.htm

The screws go here.

Pic from Oldawan site.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

I had the same problem with one of mine, thought it was a problem with the tap job for the angle arm unit at first till I switched screws with the side that was ok. Got a machine screw from hardware store to stabilize it. Put it on the non dimpled side . Works fine.

Have email and voice mail in to WE re what my problem turned out to be.

Machine screw works fine, just not as convenient as a thumb screw.

I was curious about this post… was there a difference in the two screws that came with the kit? (not the replacement you bought).

Fred Hermann
    Participant
    • Topics: 30
    • Replies: 188

So call me a newbie, but one set screw is obviously for clamping onto the base rod, the other does what exactly? It looks like the arm is tight in the bracket, and has a nut to tighten it to the bracket. So what is the 2nd screw for? What am I missing?

Chris
    Participant

the other does what exactly?

Micro adjustment!

Loosen screw “A”, adjust “B” to lengthen or shorten. (change angle)

Thanks again to Oldawan for stealing his photo.

Attachments:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 129 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.