Advanced Search

Pro pack II set screws

Recent Forums Main Forum Suggestion Box Pro pack II set screws

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 129 total)
  • Author
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

Hey guys,

The original design was great and then for some reason, probably cost, the machine shop switched the parts on a run of about 50 – very frustrating. I think our supplier didn’t realize how critical the design was and looked to trim some cost without consulting us. We’re working on exactly how to manage the recall now, but if you have the small black screws, please send us an email so we can get you on the list. Once the new parts are ready with the correct #10-32 screws, we’ll get those sent out and get RMA labels out to get yours back. UPS should be delivering the new samples tomorrow and the machine shop has all the material on hand so as soon as I give the green light, they’ll get them cranked out. I’ll keep this thread updated as I get more information. In the mean time, I suggest the purple Loc-Tite so you can keep at it until the new parts come in. Please don’t forget to email the office: support@wickededgeusa.com if you have the Upgrade Kit or Pro-Pack II and the small, black screws.

-Clay

Chris
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 351

This shows how valuable forums can be.
    The problem is discovered, reported/discussed here, then sorted by Clay.

Xbander
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 68

As several have mentioned, this is growing pains. New product and a darn good product, runs across a bump in the road now and then.
    Much THANKS goes to Clay and the staff at Wickededge for listing, taking time to understand, to improve the product, keeping us informed, sharing their thinking and keeping us happy. 🙂
    That is a tall order, darn Clay you deserve a raise!

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

I discovered a temporary fix if you need it.

It turns out the upgrade kits with the wrong size screw also has a #8-32 hole drilled on the backside of the base.

So, if you need a little something extra to hold things in place,,,, I bought a couple of #8-32 x 1/2″ thumbscrews and stuck them back there.

Thought I’d pass it along!

Phil Pasteur
    Participant
    • Topics: 10
    • Replies: 944

Good idea. I would guess that people could do the same thing wo secure the fine angle adjuster. There were folks talking about how to lock that down better as well. This should carry a lot less risk that the cup screw.

Phil

Chris
    Participant

Good idea. I would guess that people could do the same thing wo secure the fine angle adjuster.Phil

Having finally received my arms in Australia, (yes, they are the #8-32) I might drop a lead shot in the hole before putting the screw in.
    It might protect the thread from either a flat “or” pointy screw?

These black screws simply don’t fit in the dimples and have a plastic knob fitted over the screw head. (cheap)
    Even though the new crossbar dimples are “much” bigger than old (short) bar ones.

Were these dimples in the new crossbar made bigger to fit the flat faced black screws Clay?
    Did you keep the original size dimples with the first batch (wide crossbar) that used pointy stainless steel (silver) screws?

edit – Or do “all” wide crossbars also have bigger dimples?

Not happy that my old crossbar doesn’t fit the new arms.
    I was hoping to use the shorter bar, as my chopping block is 24cm square and the new longer bar hangs over the sides.

Will there be a longer front knife stabilizer rod made (for long, thin knives) to suit the extra height of the riser, or will there then be too much wobble to be used?

wickededge
    Keymaster

The parts should never have had the black screws. They were designed with the pointed #10-32 screws to match the detents on the degree bar. The machine shop took a liberty with substituting the screws to save cost, not realizing the significance of their function. We’re working rapidly to get it resolved. It will involve sending out correct, replacement L-Brackets along with return labels so we can get the incorrect ones back. We should have a timeline within a few days. We’re waiting for the full list of people needing the parts to come in.

-Clay

Chris
    Participant

So the bigger dimples are just another improvement over the short crossbar?

Added some other questions above also.

wickededge
    Keymaster

edit – Or do “all” wide crossbars also have bigger dimples?

Not happy that my old crossbar doesn’t fit the new arms.
    I was hoping to use the shorter bar, as my chopping block is 24cm square and the new longer bar hangs over the sides.

Will there be a longer front knife stabilizer rod made (for long, thin knives) to suit the extra height of the riser, or will there then be too much wobble to be used?

The shorter bar isn’t calibrated to the new arms and riser, so the markings and holes aren’t accurate. If you really want to use it, you could then it down just a little bit so that the new arms fit on it.

All the extended degree bars have the bigger detents. The new arms don’t fit on the old bars because the old bars have some bulging where the detents were pressed in. The tolerances on the new degree bars are tighter so as to reduce any wobble on the bar and as such, the don’t fit over the bulged portion.

I’m still sorting through the best way to deal with the knife brace and I think there will be too much wobble with the extra height. I’m prototyping some very thin, spring steel sleeves to add rigidity to flexible blades while sharpening.

-Clay

Chris
    Participant

Thankyou for your replies.

The new arms are exceptional.
    Although it doesn’t sound like it, I “am” very happy! :woohoo:

No more questions. 😉

wickededge
    Keymaster

Thankyou for your replies.

The new arms are exceptional.
    Although it doesn’t sound like it, I “am” very happy! :woohoo:

No more questions. 😉

No worries mate, I love your questions! You’re constantly helping us be a better company, or at least try to be :silly:

-Clay

Chris
    Participant

So I lose another karma vote for asking hard questions?
    Take them all if it means I can post with honesty!

Do people want to encourage members to be nasty or something?
    Perhaps I should be posting on Blade forums etc. about these issues?
    Where everyone will give their own ideas on what is going on.

Thanks

edit – Send me a private message and tell me what you think about my posts rather than hide behind a button.
    Do I now hand out bad karma in return, to whoever I think it was? 😉

I can understand people thinking they are protecting Clay here, but do you think he needs your help?
    If you can’t accept constructive criticism, then it’s a sad place here.
    Like I said, I can post somewhere else where the discussion can go any direction?

Mikedoh
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 568

Don’t let it bug you Billybong. Anyone taking away Karma points from someone isn’t helping their karma at all.
    Take a listen to Johnny’s ” instant karma” and shine on.

Mike

Chris
    Participant

Don’t let it bug you Billybong. Mike

Thanks Mike, I am a stand up guy, I don’t want or expect Karma.
    Just talking about it here will feed the need for some.
    Perhaps when I get to zero I wont look at it again. 😛

Now, off to find a rubber boot for the ball joints and sharpen some knives.

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

So I lose another karma vote for asking hard questions?
    Take them all if it means I can post with honesty!

Do people want to encourage members to be nasty or something?
    Perhaps I should be posting on Blade forums etc. about these issues?
    Where everyone will give their own ideas on what is going on.

Thanks

edit – Send me a private message and tell me what you think about my posts rather than hide behind a button.
    Do I now hand out bad karma in return, to whoever I think it was? 😉

I can understand people thinking they are protecting Clay here, but do you think he needs your help?
    If you can’t accept constructive criticism, then it’s a sad place here.
    Like I said, I can post somewhere else where the discussion can go any direction?

Chris,

I’ll 2nd what Mike said… don’t let it bug you. I suspect that it’s now being lowered simply because you have brought it up, and that it has nothing to do with your posts.

Forums are meant to be thought provoking, not just a place for fans to post the “good stuff”. If issues weren’t brought to Clay’s attention, problems couldn’t be addressed as quickly. Imagine the situation if it was 6 months from now before he found out there was an issue with the upgrades. Plus, not all problems mean there’s something wrong with the WE, it could mean little more than a technique or process that needs an explanation, or a simple solution.

Personally, I like a post that makes me think, and look at things in a different light. It’s how I learn.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 129 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.