Advanced Search

Polishing an Elmax blade

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Polishing an Elmax blade

Viewing 2 posts - 31 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Mark76
    Participant
    • Topics: 179
    • Replies: 2760

mark76, following from this perspective:

I think Wizard is right re: the hardness of the 1200/1600 vs the hardness of the micro-fine stones. The 1200/1600 stones behave more like (not entirely, just more so) waterstones than the micro-fines. It’s possible to texture the surface of the micro-fine stones and create different surface features to achieve a variety of results, depending on how you lap them. With the 1200/1600 stones, the surface features you create disintegrate quickly with the first use.

The 1200/1600 ceramics should have a native equivalent grit size independent from surface finish. Have you attempted to quantify it?[/quote]

Yes, sort of. They behave like finer stones than the 1K diamonds. 1200 / 1600 comes quite close to where I use them in a progression :cheer: . My quickest progression to a mirror edge is diamonds -> 1200 -> 1600 -> 5K Chosera’s -> 10K Chosera’s.

If I want to throw something extra in, it’s sometimes the micro-fine stones. Then my progression is diamonds -> micro fine coarse -> 1200 -> 1600 -> micro-fine fine -> Chosera’s. I also wrote about this on my blog.

I sometimes throw in the 2K / 3K Chosera’s as well, but to be honest, I think that’s overkill. I think these are similar to the 1200 / 1600 stones (as far as scratch removal goes; they work and feel quite differently, of course).

You should note I have the “original” 1200/1600 stones. I’m not sure, but I think Clay switched from manufacturer once for these stones. I don’t know whether the ” new” ones work exactly like the old ones.

Why do you feel the micro-fines are variable, Mr Wizard? You can texturize them differently, of course, but this is the case with any hard ceramic stone, like the Spyderco ones. And did you follow the discussions I had with Ken and Tom on the effect of flattening waterstones with diamond plates?

Molecule Polishing: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge

Mr.Wizard
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 190

Thank you for your summary. I was not aware that a different OEM was used for the 1200/1600 ceramics at one time; I’ll try to keep that in mind.

As noted in the README I chose to limit my chart to media with quantifiable particle sizes rather than apparent effect (i.e. surface roughness parameters). For the time being I make an exception for the Spyderco ceramics due both to their wide use and presence on other grit charts.

The fact that the “grit” can be changed entirely by resurfacing introduces an inherent ambiguity, as one cannot be sure how the surface has been previously modified or worn. While waterstones are somewhat dependent on surface finish they will normalize to the native grit of the stone fairly quickly due to the expected breakdown of the binder.

Lastly your own report of the “1.4 micron” micro-fine acting much coarser than this rating suggests possible inconsistency in the finish applied to it.

Viewing 2 posts - 31 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.