Advanced Search

Pluggable and Carson Scope Accessory Kit Introduction

Recent Forums Main Forum Pass Around and Buy / Sell / Trade Pluggable and Carson Scope Accessory Kit Introduction

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    airscapes
    Participant
    • Topics: 19
    • Replies: 367

Since buying my WE system and a pluggable USB scope a few years ago, I have had a love hate relationship with the Scope.  I was always moving the focus ring inadvertently and taking photos of nothing while manipulating the scope.   After a while I just stopped using it as I was just maintaining my wife’s kitchen knives.

A few weeks ago Marc had asked me if I could design a sleeve to cover the focus ring on the Pluggable scope, his tape hack really was kind of a pain and was hoping for something that cold just cover and stay in place after focus.  I said YES, I was going to do that long ago and just never got around to it.   After several prototypes that both Marc and Ed tested, one came to the top which both guys liked a lot.  It slides on the scope and is held in place with 2 set screws.  Once installed you don’t need to remove it.   There are 2 oval windows to access the focus ring and the sleeve is hexagonal in shape to hold onto .

I had also made some softer plastic rings for the nose of Ed’s scope a long time ago.  This was to fix a missing chunk of clear plastic which had been removed by repeatedly rolling over the bevel to look down on it.   This cover had worked really well for Ed  as well as   Marc and  myself as it is  gentler on bevel  than the hard scope nose.  Marc asked about adding an index mark to the nose cap and extending  it so to cover  bright LED light when the scope is just sitting on the desk while busy working on the blade.     The index notch can be used to help you orient which end is up , down, left or right, as it can be placed anywhere around the circumference of the nose depending on your technique and repeated placement.

One of my pet peeves is the shutter button.  It is a capacitance discharge touch sensor , so the slightest touch will take a photo.  I designed a cap to cover the shutter with a hole in the center that allows for a photo to be taken but only when you touch that one spot, this prevents a folder full of blank photos when you are just manipulating the scope while working with it.

I am still in the process of working out the fabrication cost and price of the pieces, but wonder who might be interested in a kit like this.  Marc said it fits all of his Pluggable scopes as well as the white Carson scope.

I am also not apposed to making custom kits if you have a different scope, would just need accurate metric digital caliper measurements.

Marc and Ed are both still working with the production  design and will post a review once they have finished..  Will post in the Accessories thread once all the details are ironed out.

Thanks!

Doug

prodpluggable1
    prodpluggable2

Attachments:
    4 users thanked author for this post.
    airscapes
    Participant

The Plugable Scope Kit (also fits white Carson scope) will sell for $18 + $6 shipping.

Comes with Focus sleeve, 2 3/32 set screws (wrench not included), 2 shutter caps one 8mm the other 10mm opening, 1 tall nose cap with alignment notch.

I am willing to work with you if you have a different brand of scope to fabricate the same accessories, just will need photos and accurate  metric measurements.

Thanks!

Doug

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Readheads
    Participant
    • Topics: 32
    • Replies: 308

I’m in. Also, can you incorporate a notch in the the part which rides on the blade. I filed this into mine to allow easy sliding on the edge without slipping off. It also keeps the focus plane consistent and enables easier consistent sliding while looking only at the monitor which usually is via a USB on my phone.

airscapes
    Participant

I’m in. Also, can you incorporate a notch in the the part which rides on the blade. I filed this into mine to allow easy sliding on the edge without slipping off. It also keeps the focus plane consistent and enables easier consistent sliding while looking only at the monitor which usually is via a USB on my phone.

The surface that contacts the blade is .9mm thick so there really is no room for a grove.. I  get why it would be very cool to have, but alas, not really all that possible…

This stuff slides fairly easy, Ed has been using a ring like this for a long time and has never mentioned the need for the grove.  He had me make the ring some time ago as he had a deep grove and could not longer focus as the bevel in the the grove was too close..

Mike
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 18

I’m in as well, let me know what you need from me.

airscapes
    Participant

I’m in as well, let me know what you need from me.

If you want to buy the kit please send me a PM with your email address and I will send you the detials.

Thanks,

Doug

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.