Advanced Search

numbers indicating each stone's grit already wearing off?

Recent Forums Main Forum Suggestion Box numbers indicating each stone's grit already wearing off?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Expidia
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 339

And I’m not looking to replace my month old stones as its taken me 20 knives just to start breaking them in.  But in just a month most of the silver numbers have almost all rubbed off.  I would think embossing the numbers into the plastic handles might solve this.  Now I have to use a magic marker to put the numbers back on each handle and clear tape over it, so it doesn’t rub off.  Is this just a bad lot of handles or an ongoing issue?

• This topic was modified 6 years ago by Expidia.
    Attachments:
    1 user thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

I’ve seen that happening on my new style paddles as well. It seems like the older style handles held the screen printing a little better. It doesn’t bother me since it has no affect on the function, but it is something that could be addressed. The color coding of the grits is should keep confusion to a minimum in the mean time.

Pinkfloyd
    Participant
    • Topics: 22
    • Replies: 208

Use an electric engraver with a mini bit to etch the grit size back on. Or a Dremel.

Expidia
    Participant

Thanks.  All good points.  At least others are seeing the issue.  This is why i put this in the “suggestion” forum.  I know “I” can take steps to re-label the ones I’ve bought already. I might try to use my label maker.   But for my $460 I already invested, Im now stuck between a diamond and a hard place (git it) because I can’t send them back and start the break period all over again.

For those that have new stones you might want to cut a small square of clear packing tape and lightly clean the silver letter first then stick the square over it. I bet this would stay on the life of the stone because the tape is very slippery.  Im going to try that myself.  And dremel the missing ones, fill in with magic marker and a sqaure of tape over it.

I had recently commented that Clay’s marketing was very cool with all the colors and now I’m disappointed in what my stones are looking like now and worse with me having to “mickey mouse” in the missing numbers.

I’m just suggesting that WE look into improving that silver labeling for their next order from whoever makes the plastic paddles for them.

I know the paddles have indented finger rests , but from the way I hold the stones its my pinky that rubs on the letters because I’m squeezing it there with more pressure as it has a tendency to rise up into the air like the way some people hold a teacup, they hold it with their pinky in the air (you just tried that didn’t you?) hahaha

I also started using gloves.  They feel very soft, but level 5 cut resistant.  They may be even harder on those numbers due to the makeup of their fibers than bare fingers?  I don’t know yet?

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Thanks for clarifying your position, that post was intended as “constructive criticism”.  It surely came across as another one of your whining, complaining posts.  The delineation is narrow.  Most of those posts I could have perceived as “destructive criticism” or rants of an unhappy Wicked Edge owner and user.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Dan
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

And I’m not looking to replace my month old stones as its taken me 20 knives just to start breaking them in. But in just a month most of the silver numbers have almost all rubbed off. I would think embossing the numbers into the plastic handles might solve this. Now I have to use a magic marker to put the numbers back on each handle and clear tape over it, so it doesn’t rub off. Is this just a bad lot of handles or an ongoing issue?

Thank you for the heads-up. I’ve forwarded this thread to our supplier to investigate. I’d noticed some flaking off of the lettering as well. It helps to know that others are also seeing the issue.

-Clay

6 users thanked author for this post.
    Expidia
    Participant

Dear Marc,

You need a life.  Snorting too much diamond dust!

Read Clay’s response.  He’s a gentleman! And appreciates constructive feed back.  Don’t respond to any of my posts or read my threads if I bother you that much!

• This reply was modified 6 years ago by Expidia.
    Jed
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 3
    1. It’s easy to remember the colors of the rainbow. R,O,Y,G,B,I,V are the order the paddles are laid out.  I just look at the colors any more.
    2 users thanked author for this post.
    sksharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 408

I’m not to sure the writing coming off the handles of the stones is a concern of mine in the least. After you’ve used them a bit they are colored coded, and that hasn’t changed, so mixing them up isn’t an issue to me at least.

However the blank handles and strops are not color coded and do need to be identifiable.

Marc H

I like sksharp do have some custom handles that did require me to label them myself.  I use a Brother P-Touch Label Printer which many of us organized and OCD type individuals already own.  The tape has stayed put and the printed labels haven’t worn off with years of use.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Joe
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

I’m a numbers guy and want those numbers on my stones. If they wear off, I will find a way to relabel them,

But, if that happens with a few months of purchase, there is certainly a flaw in the manufacturing process.

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

But, if that happens with a few months of purchase, there is certainly a flaw in the manufacturing process.

There was a batch of handles that had foil stamping that came off too easily/quickly. We discovered it and let the vendor know and they were able to correct it in the next batch and we haven’t seen the issue pop up since.

-Clay

6 users thanked author for this post.
    Marc H

IMO, that’s all the more reason to buy the newest most recently produced products directly from Wicked Edge or only their certified dealers, that have the authority and ability to “make good” these unfortunate and inconvenient situations.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

3 users thanked author for this post.
    sksharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 408

Amen brother!!!

2 users thanked author for this post.
    tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

When I switched over to the new handles, I bought several pairs of blank handles, so of course, they are all red/white with no numbers printed on them.  I printed out grit values on Avery shipping labels, cut out the pieces and stuck them right where the factory markings would be and so far, they’ve been good.

For your further info, I took advantage of the red/white scheme, making the red side as the coarser grit and the white side with the finer grit.  I have a simple diagram taped up on the wall next to me.   Since I normally do edge-leading strokes except for film and stropping, it says that red is always diagonally down and toward me  White is always diagonally down and away from me.  Diamond films and strops follow the same directions, except that the strokes are opposite – always upward.

3 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.