Advanced Search

numbers indicating each stone's grit already wearing off?

Recent Forums Main Forum Suggestion Box numbers indicating each stone's grit already wearing off?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Lay
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 27

I had this grit numbers flaking off issue after only 5 sharpening sessions. Today I added some clear coat on top of the flat areas where the numbers are. Hopefully they stay a bit longer now.

Brewbear
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 168

But, if that happens with a few months of purchase, there is certainly a flaw in the manufacturing process.

There was a batch of handles that had foil stamping that came off too easily/quickly. We discovered it and let the vendor know and they were able to correct it in the next batch and we haven’t seen the issue pop up since.

I must’ve been one of the “lucky” ones that got the foil lettered handles. The lettering started wearing off at some point so I just printed some small labels, problem solved. Would I want new paddles? Nahh, I’m happy with the ones I have.

Brewbear
    Participant

Just to be clear, all my WE gear came directly from Wicked Edge.

airscapes
    Participant
    • Topics: 19
    • Replies: 367

Mine are all coming off.. Diamond stone and Strops.. Strops were purchased from WE separately from the WE 120.   As was the 1500/glass

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by airscapes.
    +ULFBERHT+
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 2

My WE gear came directly from Wicked Edge. The lettering came off in the first week. Time for some quality control on this known issue.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    rummels
    Participant
    • Replies: 34

I used this roller ball pen to replace the numbers.  I have found the oil-based paint that it uses to be resistant to various solvents, but it can be scratched off.  However, it is tougher than the original numbering.  I used the Extra Fine point version.

https://www.amazon.com/Sharpie-Oil-Based-Paint-Marker-Extra/dp/B00WL2NDJU/ref=asc_df_B00WL2NDJU/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167126628218&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5805931635457215622&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9018952&hvtargid=pla-313567059590&psc=1

These pens are also available at craft and fabric stores.

rummels

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by rummels.
    4 users thanked author for this post.
    Expidia
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 339

Thanks.  I just ordered their 3 pack for $9.85 from your Amazon link.  The black marker I was using before already wore off!

Expidia
    Participant
    • Topics: 47
    • Replies: 339

Thanks for the clear coat tip.  The magic marker type sharpie I tried putting in the numbered groves I made from my Dremmel wore quickly off too.  I’ll try the clear coat trick.  I do have clear coat touch up bottles which came in both my SUV chip touch up kits, but those kits are ridiculously expensive and with very little product inside.

I’ll first try  clear nail polish which is cheap.  I would have gladly sent “all” my paddle sets back to WE for replacement, but I was not about to break in a brand new set all over again as for me it takes a minium of 10-30 knives for stone break in.

I just ordered another set of 100/200 which seem to have worn out faster than the other grits since those are the ones that I use the longest when re-profiling and raising burrs on my premium steel folders.  I can raise a burr quickly on my kitchen knives, but S90V and higher is a bitch on that initial re-profile!

WE should have offered to send plastic coated stick on foil label numbered sets for those of us who have the numbers quickly wearing off to correct their manaufacturer’s defective paddle runs.  These paddles sets are not cheap!

I have one of those label makers too.   If the paint stick followed by clear coat does not work I might try ordering a roll off metal foil labeling stock and then clear coat the finished label.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by Expidia.
    Lay
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 27

Today I got my new 1500/2200 and 3000/Glass  -stones directly from Wicked Edge. Tried to put some clear coat on top of the 1500/2200 numbers but it did not work with these. The clear coat dissolved the numbers. Just a warning. It did work with the older stones that came with my Gen 3 Pro.

Time to pull out my label printer.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I’d like to discover how wide spread this issue is. All those with lettering that is coming off, please say so on this thread.

-Clay

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

I have a full set of the newer style, bi-colored ABS handles with some numbers beginning to wear off, and some numbers partially worn off.  I don’t consider it much of an issue.  Things wear when used.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Brewbear
    Participant

I’d like to discover how wide spread this issue is. All those with lettering that is coming off, please say so on this thread.

I guess all the people already on this thread could be counted in. I don’t see it as a major problem, but others might.

Dale
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 2

Mine wore off.  I printed labels on a p-touch and actually like the better visibility the p-touch labels offer.  Clear tape with black numbers.

airscapes
    Participant
    • Topics: 19
    • Replies: 367

they wear off.. its paint/ink on plastic. Plastic does not hold paint/ink very well so no real surprise.

rummels
    Participant
    • Replies: 34

I think it would be safe to assume that there are folks who don’t participate in the forum, or who are unaware of this thread, who have had problems with the grit numbers on their paddles.
    rummels

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.