Advanced Search

Newbie with a problem

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Driscoll
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

Greetings from Colorado. Recently got a WE100, and I’ve been practicing with it. However, with this one knife that I’m trying to put a new bevel on, I’m having trouble.

I’m used a Sharpie, and marked the bevel. I’ve been working the blade for over 30 minutes with the 100 stone. But, for the life of me, I cannot seem to set the new angle on one side, for about the last 1.5″ of the blade tip. I can still see some of the marker at the “top” of the bevel.

What am I doing wrong?

Toxophilus
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 12

Hi Kevin; I’m sure the usual suspects will chime in, in 3, 2, 1…  however what part of Colorado are you in?

If you’re close to me (Aurora, CO) I could have you swing by and show you how I do it which might shorten the learning curve versus reading about it.

Just throwing it out there as an option, thx, RSilva

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Kevin, Welcome to the Wicked Edge Forum, from one of the “usual suspects”.

From the description of your issue it sounds like your knife is not clamped in the “sweet spot” sharpening position.  That is the position that allows the sharpening stones to reach the bevel all along the knife’s length.  I suggest your read this forum thread  and/or view YouTube videos like this one, or reference the WE100 instruction manual on page 13, for help in this area.

An easy way to explain it is you need to position the knife blade where the marker is being removed.  If the marker is getting removed towards the knife tip, below where you’re edge is currently positioned, then you need to move the knife edge lower to meet the stone.  In your situation it sounds like you need to lower the tip by rotating the knife downward in the vise.  The depth keys are a clamping guide meant for you to rest the knife on.  You do not have to position the knife so it will always rest on both of the pins,  Clamp the knife in the position that will allow the best access to the knife edge.  In your case that would be to lower the edge to where it meets the stone.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Kevin, as I mull over your issue, I realized you said “on one side”.  This suggest you may have another or an additional issue at play.  By the nature of the WE100 Standard Vise System some knives when clamped will lean towards the left side.  This will make the bevels uneven in height from knife side to side or the bevel may appear in a different positions on the knife edge from side to the other side depending on how is positioned and clamped.  Which side is it that you can’t reach the knife edge with your stones?

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Kevin Driscoll
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

I don’t know what happened to last night’s post, so here it is again.

Thanks for the replies. It was only on one side, and something just didn’t seem right. I just couldn’t get it right. Something told me that I had to bring it down. I carefully went across the edge with the 100, at 90 degrees. Then, when back to scrubbing. Hey, part of it was gone! So, I carefully repeated my actions.

After a short time, I’d removed the odd high spot, and was able to bring up a burr the whole length of the edge.

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.