Advanced Search

New to the forum. Just wanted to introduce myself

Recent Forums Main Forum Welcome Mat New to the forum. Just wanted to introduce myself

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Gordon
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 9

Hello everyone,

I’m new here, but some of you know me on the other forums. I recently got into knife sharpening to take up some of my time. And now it’s becoming an obsession… I started out with the new WE 60 and invested heavily into ALL the diamond stones and lapping films. It’s a great tool and I luv the outcome. However, I’ve found myself using it on a daily basis and think it’s time to upgrade to the 130 Pro or the WE66, due to needing the micro adjustments and the ease of the quick release jaws. Can anyone recommend what direction to go between the two?
    Back to my introduction.. semi retired.. spent a good portion of my life as an LEO and then as a fire paramedic. Father of 4 and 2 grandchildren. I would love to hear your feedback on what direction to go.
    kind regards,

Bottomtime

Gordon
    Participant

Correction.. what I meant to was.. what model do you recommend between the WE-66 and the Gen 3. For some reason I got the 130 and the gen3 confused. Hope that makes sense..

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Welcome again, Gordon. Both models are the top model in their series. They are comparable in functionality and efficiency with some minor differences in the components.  In the hands of an experienced user the same quality results can be expected with either model.

The WE66 is more compact which may be cramped feeling for some users. The Gen 3 Pro is larger, more spacious and spread out. Some users do find it too tall to work with while seated.

If work space is a premium the WE66 may be the better option. With it’s lower profile it stores and carries more easily.

Both models use the same sharpening/polishing mediums offered by W.E.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

000Robert
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 406

Hello Gordon and welcome to the Wicked Edge Forum! I agree with what Marc said. I would also add that your lifestyle may play a big part in your decision. Do you hunt and camp a lot? If so, you may opt for the WE66. The WE60 is a fine sharpener in its own right. I have a WE130 myself and don’t have any experience with the Gen 3. But I’m sure you’ll be happy with either choice.

Gordon
    Participant

Thank you all for the feedback.  I’m probably not going to upgrade till the fall of this year, unless I run across a great deal on either one of the two models I mentioned. I know what you mean about feeling cramped on the WE60/66. I kind of feel that way now and I like the elevation of the Gen 3.

airscapes
    Participant
    • Topics: 19
    • Replies: 367

Welcome Gordon, the 60/66 is really meant to be a portable unit compared to the majority of the pervious units that had larger granite bases etc.   There seems to be a lot of folks selling the older units on the facebook page.  You may be able to get what you are looking for there at a faction of the cost of new.  Many folks  buy the system as you did, but do not become as involved. Then they sell and move on to something else with very little use on the used equipment.

I make a bunch of accessories for the older units as well as some for the 60/66 including a riser block that when added to the 60/66 along with some 13″ rods makes it much less cramped and you can get full use of the the stone length.    There is a post somewhere with all the accessories made by myself, Marc and Ed but do not have it on hand.   Here is my  PDF Brochures if you have not seen it.

Airscapes Accessorie

• This reply was modified 9 months, 2 weeks ago by airscapes.
    3 users thanked author for this post.
    Lawdog
    Participant
    • Topics: 1

Welcome Gordon.  I went with the Gen 3 and I love it for my application, but …it is pretty tall on my workbench. My workbench is adjustable in height and I have it set at its lowest setting.   I find myself switching from sitting on a tall adjustable stool to just standing due to my bad back.  And do yourself a favor; take a look at airscapes accessories and Mark H’s racks.  They are both great to deal with and their products are superb. Tap into the huge knowledge base that the members have in this forum. Many have A LOT of experience in sharpening knives. If there is anything that you need from me along the way, don’t hesitate to ask.    I’m now off to research sharpening a very small penknife in a Tormek small knife jig.  Lawdog. (Dave).

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Gordon
    Participant

Welcome Gordon, the 60/66 is really meant to be a portable unit compared to the majority of the pervious units that had larger granite bases etc. There seems to be a lot of folks selling the older units on the facebook page. You may be able to get what you are looking for there at a faction of the cost of new. Many folks buy the system as you did, but do not become as involved. Then they sell and move on to something else with very little use on the used equipment. I make a bunch of accessories for the older units as well as some for the 60/66 including a riser block that when added to the 60/66 along with some 13″ rods makes it much less cramped and you can get full use of the the stone length. There is a post somewhere with all the accessories made by myself, Marc and Ed but do not have it on hand. Here is my PDF Brochures if you have not seen it. Airscapes Accessorie

Welcome Gordon, the 60/66 is really meant to be a portable unit compared to the majority of the pervious units that had larger granite bases etc. There seems to be a lot of folks selling the older units on the facebook page. You may be able to get what you are looking for there at a faction of the cost of new. Many folks buy the system as you did, but do not become as involved. Then they sell and move on to something else with very little use on the used equipment. I make a bunch of accessories for the older units as well as some for the 60/66 including a riser block that when added to the 60/66 along with some 13″ rods makes it much less cramped and you can get full use of the the stone length. There is a post somewhere with all the accessories made by myself, Marc and Ed but do not have it on hand. Here is my PDF Brochures if you have not seen it. Airscapes Accessorie

<!–more–><!–more–>Good evening Airscapes,

First I’d like to apologize for not getting back to you sooner.  We had the grandkids for the last part of the summer, before they went back to school.
    Last night was my first time back to sharpening knives. What a stress relief.. Thanks for the PDF of all the accessories. I think the riser block is first on my list. That was the first thing I noticed when using the WE60 was how cramped I felt. However it was this morning when I realized it’s time.. to up upgrade to the Gen 3 pro. I know sharpening knives  is something I really enjoy doing, so I see this as a long term hobby. I’ll keep my eye out here on the forums and see if anything pops up before ordering one from WE. Thanks again and if feels great to be back on the forum!
    kind regards,

Gordon

Gordon
    Participant

Welcome Gordon. I went with the Gen 3 and I love it for my application, but …it is pretty tall on my workbench. My workbench is adjustable in height and I have it set at its lowest setting. I find myself switching from sitting on a tall adjustable stool to just standing due to my bad back. And do yourself a favor; take a look at airscapes accessories and Mark H’s racks. They are both great to deal with and their products are superb. Tap into the huge knowledge base that the members have in this forum. Many have A LOT of experience in sharpening knives. If there is anything that you need from me along the way, don’t hesitate to ask. I’m now off to research sharpening a very small penknife in a Tormek small knife jig. Lawdog. (Dave).

<!–more–>Good evening Lawdog,

I apologize for the late response. Thanks for welcoming me into the forum and the advice. Trust me, I’ll be reaching out for the knowledge.
    kind regards,

Gordon

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Private message sent to Gordon

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.