Advanced Search

My knives aren't getting sharp anymore – help?

Recent Forums Main Forum Techniques and Sharpening Strategies Basic Techniques and Sharpening Strategies My knives aren't getting sharp anymore – help?

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    mike
    Participant
    • Topics: 13
    • Replies: 33

ok i was finally able to get around to uploading pic of my knife versus my coworker’s

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

obviously the thinner one is mine. and his has never been sharpened, just steeled.

I’m off work today and tommorow, so I’ll try the method that razoredgeknives suggested. currently i dont have a method for thinning my knife at home. i recently bought a brand new bastard file, but i think that would probably do more damage than good haha.

When I go back to work, I’ll give my ceramic another try and see if it makes a difference

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

A side comment brought to mind on seeing your pics:

I have a Wuesthof Santoku that I’ve sharpened the edge back to where the fullers (those grooves that run perpendicular to the edge) are just touching the bevels.  The fullers are staggered, relative to the fullers on the other side, because they are also pretty deep.  I think that if they were aligned, the grinds would have gone thru the blade.  It looks like they will at some point interrupt the edge.  Until then, it doesn’t look like they’re a problem.  The bevels just get real narrow at those points.

By the way, Victorinox knives have been top-rated for a couple of years by America’s Test Kitchen.   I suspect more for value than for high quality.

mike
    Participant
    • Topics: 13
    • Replies: 33

So I ended up sharpening like josh suggested, and I took my ceramic hone to work with me this time. My results I feel are that the edge still does not last very long. I did my best to have a very tactile burr on the edge at 200g, and all my strokes after 200g were edge leading passes. I feel like after today I need to resharpen again!

cbwx34
    Participant
    • Topics: 57
    • Replies: 1505

I guess my first thought in figuring this out is by comparing your knife to your unsharpened coworkers…

• How does your sharpened edge feel in comparison (rougher, smoother, sharper, not as sharp, etc.)
    • Does it ever perform better at all (vs. the unsharpened knife) when you start the day?
    • Have you tried the coworker’s knife, and does it actually perform better?

As for your knife…

• Any idea how the edge is failing?  Does it just dull, or does the edge roll (can u feel a burr or wire edge after use)?
    • How did you use the ceramic?  (Hopefully not like a regular steel)

What to do at this point depends on the above… my thinking is either a change in the level of finish, and/or a change in the angle… depending on how the edge is dulling.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.