Advanced Search

Mold Key Knife

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Ecoboe
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 2

Hi everyone,

I’m new on the forum, I bought the WE120 a year ago, and I’ve had success so far with sharpening my reed knives (I’m an oboe player who struggled with keeping knives sharp before).

A friend of mine knew I purchased this system, and asked if it was possible to sharpen the knife found at this link (specifically, the curved groove section). I’ve included some pictures as well that she sent me.

Mold Key Knife

I’ve only sharpened my reed knives and a few knives in my kitchen, nothing with this feature, and I’m pretty new to this. Is this possible, and if so, any tips would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments:
    1 user thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 75
    • Replies: 2742

Welcome to the forum!

This is all I can offer for those types of knives:

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    000Robert
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 408

Wow! That’s the first time that I have ever seen or heard of knives like that. But, where there’s a will, there’s a way. I’m sure that some of the more experienced guys will offer some ideas soon.

Marc H

Ecoboe

This is what Tom Blodget responded. He produced that video. I just linked him your forum original post.

“ok, so the only real way to get the inside of the scoop is to getthe stone inside. Your’e looking at a rod of sorts with sandpaper or film. The bevel on the rest of the knife should be straight forward. It can get weird if its a scandi grind, the back face of the blade looks to be slightly hollow ground, so that is done flat.”

It’s hard to tell how small diameter the curve is. Maybe DMT diamond rods could be used on the curve.

I hope this helps.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Ecoboe
    Participant

Thanks Marc! This is very helpful. I suppose once I see the knife in person, I’ll know how large that scoop part is. I’ll look into using some rods for that part.

Marc H

Jende has a new round diamond set coming. I’m working with Jende to adapt these round rod diamond stones for WE use.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Ecoboe
    Participant

Oh that’s great. I’d be interested in that. When do you expect that this would be available?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.