Advanced Search

Microscope Test aka the Scope Showdown!

Recent Forums Main Forum Pass Around and Buy / Sell / Trade Pass Around Microscope Test aka the Scope Showdown!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    CliffCurry
    Participant
    • Topics: 42
    • Replies: 461

I’m finding that stones are making it to the edge, but taking out significant gouges as they go. I’ve repeated it a number of times today with the same results. Here’s a look: 800x-Horizontal-.1-Micron The scale at the bottom is wrong, this was shot at 800x, not 2000x.

It almost looks like a fracture line extends past the breakout spot in both directions.  Very weird…Maybe lateral strokes arent suited for an optimal refined edged.  I have a few more ideas to try but may have to wait until I get a new scope.  Clay thanks for investigating!

Interesting side not is that a few posts further down on that woodworking forum this was mentioned:
    Hi David

I’m going to make a few points, but please don’t ask me for the references as I just cannot find them at present (one was a Japanese study on sharpening, and I vaguely recall “Hitachi” … anyone help out?).

In a nutshell, side sharpening was found to produce a stronger edge than front-and-back sharpening. This conclusion is also reinforced by research which look at magnified images of blade edges (Steve Elliott?) – results demonstrate the the chipping eminates from the fine scratches that lead to the edge of the bevel. And, of course, there are no such scratches with side sharpening.

Regards from Perth

Derek (dedicated side sharpener)

To be continued…? 

wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

I redid the blade again. Here it is with a little micro-bevel and sharpening not quite perpendicular to the edge:

2000x-Vertical-.1-Micron-Edge-Trailing-Micro-Bevel

The edge looks pretty clean to me and it was super sharp. Here it is after doing parallel strokes, immediately after:

2000x-Horizontal-Edge-Damage
    2000x-Horizontal-Edge-Damage-2

-Clay

Attachments:
    wickededge
    Keymaster

Here are some shots at 200x as well to get a little more context:

200x-Horizontal-Edge-Deformation
    200x-Horizontal-Chipping
    200x-Horizontal-Edge-Thickening-1

This last one is most interesting to me because you can see that there is some thickening happening to the edge.

-Clay

Attachments:
    wickededge
    Keymaster

Here is more of the thickening seen at 2000x:

2000x-Horizontal-Strokes-Edge-Thickening

-Clay

Attachments:
    wickededge
    Keymaster

I forgot to mention that the edge-parallel strokes were done with 1.5µ and 1.0µ lapping film. Pretty gentle stuff. I do wonder if the slight give of the lapping film allows it to roll over the edge and actually push into the very edge from the “top”.

-Clay

wickededge
    Keymaster

I decided to image the edge when stroked parallel to the edge with a coarser grit. I chose 400# and then I took three images with different focal lengths to try and get a composite with more depth of field. I stacked the images in Photoshop to create the composite:

2000x-400-Stacked

Here is one of the three images on its own:

2000x-400-2

-Clay

Attachments:
    CliffCurry
    Participant

CliffCurry
    Participant

I forgot to mention that the edge-parallel strokes were done with 1.5µ and 1.0µ lapping film. Pretty gentle stuff. I do wonder if the slight give of the lapping film allows it to roll over the edge and actually push into the very edge from the “top”.

That is very interesting Clay.  You think the thickening is from some sort of micro-roll over?  I could totally “see” that happening since the film is traveling along the entire length instead of rapidly being pulled over and off the edge in more traditional method.

What plattens and films were you using?  I actually had a dream last night where I was measuring micron thickness of films.  The AlO2 films I have are very thin and not PSA backed, but the sticky tape does add a cushioning layer as well….  Also in the dream I used newspaper on a glass platen as a final strop because Id heard its equivalent to .01 microns.

I have also had interesting result going edge leading on  the final few light passes without cutting into the films.   😛

wickededge
    Keymaster

For the most part, I set the edges up using the diamond plates through 1000# and then the Micro-Fine ceramics, then all the lapping films on glass. This last set with the lapping films was finished at 1 micron.

-Clay

wickededge
    Keymaster

I couldn’t resist checking out 800#:

2000x-800-1

and the Micro-Fine Fine stone:

2000x-Micro-Fine-F

I didn’t get the best images here, so I’ll probably rework the blade with the Micro-Fines for a while and then re-shoot it.

-Clay

Attachments:
    1 user thanked author for this post.
    CliffCurry
    Participant

For the most part, I set the edges up using the diamond plates through 1000# and then the Micro-Fine ceramics, then all the lapping films on glass. This last set with the lapping films was finished at 1 micron.

I think you’ve found the weakness of this method at such a tiny scale.  Ofcourse its just a theory, but the slight give in the films allows rollover when traveling laterally.  In my mind I could see the film not forming a burr but didnt account for its softness.

When I too get a scope you can be sure Ill be playing around more with this realm and lateral strokes do have uses, but just maybe not at the final finishing step(s)….great stuff!

Frans
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 83

It makes sense to me if I think of the scratches on the edge as the grain of veneer. You can bend  it one way while it will immediately break if bended the other way.  (Which is with and which is against the grain?)

Frans

NickedEdge
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 53

@tcmeyer

So TC, and I guess all on this thread, if one (aka me) is really interested in simply examining how well I’m working across the bevel what would you recommend in the sub $100 range as far as a scope? Of course I’m amazed at the level one can attain with the Dino’s but if good depth of field and ease of use is the primary concern does a unit  like the Celestron (or something even less expensive) all one really needs?

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

NickedEdge, As you read in the earlier above post my “go to” “Fav” microscope is still the first cheapest one I purchased.  I recommend you start cheap. This one says it works on OS. I don’t know which versions.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

NickedEdge
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 53

Yes thanks Marc, and btw “George” works just fine in response!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 66 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.