Advanced Search

Microscope Test aka the Scope Showdown!

Recent Forums Main Forum Pass Around and Buy / Sell / Trade Pass Around Microscope Test aka the Scope Showdown!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    CliffCurry
    Participant
    • Topics: 42
    • Replies: 461

So Ive been on the hunt for a while now how to get the best resolution, highest magnification, images for the lowest price.

I would like to see if there is enough interest in doing a pass around of a calibration slide I have recently been using for my own tests?

This would allow us all to see definitively how scope brand X compares to brand Y and evaluate cost VS value with the hope that someone out there has a clear winner and a benchmark for future scopes to be compared to.

Heres the test slide(bottom glass rectangle).  Inside the circle is a 1mm scale with one hundred .01mm increment marks.
    20160216_091513
    20160216_091622

This is from my “x400 power” I paid $20 for.  You can clearly see the marks but thats as low as it can go…
    Tue-Feb-16-09-09-06

If everyone thinks it would be a fun experiment to compare our gear, let me know and we can put together a mailing list and send it around to those that would like to partake. 

Attachments:
    wickededge
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 123
    • Replies: 2938

If I’m doing my math right, it looks like you can get down to around 5 microns with your scope, maybe a little lower.

-Clay

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 427

I use my 20 dollar scope and my Win 10 software, to view my edge at either 50 X or 500 X, I can capture photographs, and it does what I want it to do. Of course I am a sledge hammer kind of guy when it come to knife edges, and not a micro surgery guy.  I can view nicks and bends, and also the bevel finish and progression of polishing.

Innolife Portable 50X-500X Magnification 8-LED USB Digital Microscope Endoscope with Stand for Education Biological Inspection.

20151227_012953-1

20151229_175423

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Topics: 14
    • Replies: 427

WIN_20151223_23_29_34_Pro

WIN_20151223_23_21_30_Pro

wickededge
    Keymaster

I’ve got a similar stage micrometer from Ted Pella Inc that I believe is very accurate. They ship them with inspection reports and serial numbers, so I’m hopeful it can be trusted. Here are some shots from my newest scope, a Dino-Lite AM4515T8:

stage-micrometer
    stage-micrometer-2
    stage-micrometer-3

-Clay

Attachments:
    wickededge
    Keymaster

And here’s one from a while back on another scope, I believe at 800x:

Stage-Micrometer-with-40x-objective

And my previous Dino-Lite at 500x:

Dino-Lite-500x-Calibration

-Clay

Attachments:
    CliffCurry
    Participant

Clay is that Dino-Lite AM4515TA about the best you have found out on the market?  With its higher resolution can it zoom in tighter and still be clear enough to view?  Great clarity BTW!
    I have a scope very similar to Bills and agreeably its good enough for Government work at the level it can magnify to for $20, but I find myself constantly desiring to peer closer at the apex.  The SEM shots from Greg have literally ruined me.  I even mounted a pocket scope on top of the usb scope and made this contraption:
    20160216_091116
    with results less then stellar but definitely showing the MAX magnification I can reach with the $30 in parts I have laying around.
    Tue-Feb-16-09-03-14

This is what got me interested in the idea of passing around the slide so everyone could see how their setup compares and maybe there becomes a clear bang for the buck winner.  I think your Dino 4515 will be hard to beat in the unlimited division tho. LOL

Attachments:
    Josh
    Participant
    • Topics: 89
    • Replies: 1672

I’m in on this Cliff!!

Clay, I googled that model of Dinolite and can’t seem to find it… do you have a link?

CliffCurry
    Participant

I’m in on this Cliff!! Clay, I googled that model of Dinolite and can’t seem to find it… do you have a link?

I think this is the one Clay has:
    http://www.microscope.com/digital-microscopes/dino-lite/specialty-models/dino-lite-edge-am4515t8-700x-900x-handheld-digital-microscope-2825.html

Basically Clays post removes the need to send around the slide since he has already shown what to expect from 3 scopes in the middle to high range.  The clarity of the am4515 is super crisp at the .01mm scale(all his pictures) but I was hoping there was tech out there that could possibly get closer.

Ive read there is a theoretical limit for optical scopes due to wave length of light or something super technical.  I know for traditional optical scopes the make high power lens but you need to view through a drop of oil.  Another hurdle….

If Clay’s scope has that clarity and resolution I was hoping it could zoom in further like I was trying to do in my blurry final pic. *fingers crossed”

Josh
    Participant

Ahhh thanks for the help Cliff! I think it would still be neat to play around w/ the slide =)

I would love to see some edge pics on clay’s new scope 

wickededge
    Keymaster

I’m in on this Cliff!! Clay, I googled that model of Dinolite and can’t seem to find it… do you have a link?

I had written it incorrectly, it’s the AM4515T8 and here’s the link: http://www.dino-lite.com/products_detail.php?index_m1_id=9&index_m2_id=15&index_id=38

-Clay

wickededge
    Keymaster

There are lots of scopes that can get you closer. My AmScope goes to 2000x and gives very clear pictures. The nice thing about that scope is that you can use different lenses to go from 20x all the way to 2000x. In my experience, the best images are with the 800x lens. I’ll try to dig up some photos taken at that magnification for you.

-Clay

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Josh
    Participant

Thanks Clay! So were you not happy with your AmScope?

wickededge
    Keymaster

Thanks Clay! So were you not happy with your AmScope?

The AmScope is great, I got the other Dino-Lite to replace one that died. The AmScope is a traditional microscope so it’s not as versatile for holding knives. I use it a lot when I’m comparing grits and techniques and using utility blades.

-Clay

wickededge
    Keymaster

The thing about the 2000# lens is that the depth of field really limits what you can see to a small area. Even a little curvature on the bevel means that only a small portion will be in focus. I’ve played around image stacking to get a deeper depth of field but so far I haven’t been too impressed with it.

-Clay

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 66 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.