Advanced Search

I may have screwed up my WE Pro Gen 3

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Chris
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

Hi All –

When I was sharpening a knife today I noticed the micro adjust knobs were loose so I stopped sharpening and tightened them back up.  After looking at them I also noticed the ends of the rods were not the same distance from the post to the thumbwheel that changes the angle.  So I put an angle cube on the stones and played around with the adjustments.  Now my sharpening rods are about 2 degrees off from what the setting says on the sharpener.  For example 18 degrees on thee big dial shows 16 degrees on the angle cube.  How do I get the system back to where it was from the factory?  No matter how much I play with the dials I can’t get the angle cube to match the number on the dial.  BTW – I had a 8″ kitchen knife in the clamps when I was checking the angles.

thanks!

Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

No worries…the W.E. inscribed angle delineation are matched or calibrated, so-to-speak, to a blade, I believe, that is 5/8″ above the center of the jaw tops. For any other clamping situation the demarcation are just an approximation or indicator. A properly zeroed angle cube is the only true way to determine your relative stone angle settings. Slight differences in how knives are ground, side to side, and how this may affect how a knife seats and clamps, may contribute to the need to check and adjust for slight angle differences seen from one side guide rod to the other. The stock Gen 3 Pro micro-adjusters may work loose during sharpening. For angle consistency it’s always prudent to keep an eye on the adjusters for position and tightness.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    000Robert
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 406

Welcome to the forum, Chris! Marc is correct, as usual. I would also add that you can use some Emory cloth or stones to sand the tips and sides of screws and lock washers and stuff to help keep them from working loose. It’s just something that I do automatically when I buy stuff because I have worked in machine shops during my life. That is probably the reason that I have never had the problems that some people have.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Chris
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 1

Thanks for the replies Gents. I had a big kitchen knife in the clamp when I was looking at the angles, so that explains why the angle readings were off.  I’ll put a pocket knife in the clamp and recalibrate the arms so they correspond to the engraved numbers.  I also bought a better angle cube to make life easier when checking angles.

CC

000Robert
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 406

Hi Chris. Don’t even worry about the engraved numbers. As Marc said, they are just used as a quick guide to get you around the angle that you want, and then you use the angle cube to get the exact angle. Worrying about matching them up to the angle cube readings is just a waste of time and don’t even matter. But it’s your time if you really want to waste it…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.