Advanced Search

Generation 3 Pro

Recent Forums Main Forum Product Announcements Generation 3 Pro

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    pmuldowney
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 4

I have been on the fence with getting a sharpening system.  I have the Zwilling sharpening stones, but I really don’t care to put that much effort into sharpening – I want something that is relatively easy and I don’t have to work too hard to get a nice edge.

I think that the G3Pro is the best model, with the 1200/1600 stone addon – but I see it is on backorder.

Does anyone know 1: how long these back orders are? and 2: are there any coupons or discounts for new buyers?  Dropping $1k on this set is an investment, but it would be nice to get a discount if possible.

Thanks all.

pmuldowney

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Josh-L
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 13

I emailed them last week and they said they should be back in stock in two weeks. Never seen a discount code but if you find one let me know!

tcmeyer
    Participant
    • Topics: 38
    • Replies: 2095

Welcome to the forum, pmuldowney!  Sounds like a good German name! LOL

I think you’ll find the forum very informative.  Lots of answers and nothing but good intentions.

If I was ordering a new Gen 3 Pro as a start, I’d pick the 1500/glass with a sheet of the 6 micron film instead of the ceramics.  Everybody seems to love their 1500s, and the glass gives you a chance to try out diamond film, in case you decide to expand your WE tool chest.

7 users thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

I have been on the fence with getting a sharpening system. I have the Zwilling sharpening stones, but I really don’t care to put that much effort into sharpening – I want something that is relatively easy and I don’t have to work too hard to get a nice edge. I think that the G3Pro is the best model, with the 1200/1600 stone addon – but I see it is on backorder. Does anyone know 1: how long these back orders are? and 2: are there any coupons or discounts for new buyers? Dropping $1k on this set is an investment, but it would be nice to get a discount if possible. Thanks all. pmuldowney

Welcome pmuldowney:

The WEPS is an excellent system.  Its is easy to use and will give you edges that probably will surpass your initial expectations…i.e., once you get past the break-in stage, then understand how to use your system.  There is a bit of a learning curve that varies from user to user.

I think the Wicked Edge is relatively easy to use.  I’m concerned about your expectations to not have to work too hard to get a nice edge.  The edge you attain with your WEPS will be a direct result of the work you put out.  It’s not hard to do but it does take a level of commitment and dedication to get those scary sharp and mirror reflective edges.  It is not necessarily a quick process, at first.  Once a knife has been profiled and sharpened with a Wicked Edge System, subsequent sharpenings are then relatively quick and easy dependent upon the knife’s wear between sharpening sessions and you desire to experiment with bevel angles and techniques.

I share the same opinion as TCMeyer that there probably are better choices to start with then purchasing the 1200/1600 Ceramic Stones.  (The ceramics take a long time to break-in and a lot of use till you see the results you’d expect to get).  The 1500 Diamond Stone is a “must-have” in my opinion.  From there you can use the 6µ diamond lapping film and then other films, or finish with strops, which is my usual progression.

I have seen, time and time again, through my years using my Wicked Edge systems while participating in this Forum that users come to WE to get simply a sharp knife, then get quite involved with sharpening knives to a deeper level than they ever anticipated.  For me it’s become quite an involved hobby.

Welcome to the Wicked Edge Forum and our Community,  pmuldowney.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

I’m unaware of any discounts currently. On occasion Wicked Edge will place some items on discount (check the special offers section of the WE website), but I have never seen them do a special promotion or discount site-wide.

MarcH is totally right that the quality of the edge you get will be proportional to the time and attention to detail that you put into it. That isn’t to say that you can’t get great results quickly or that your first edges won’t be sharp, but there will be some practice and learning required to get the results that WE has become known for. The ever sharper edges that you get as you learn and gain experience is a big part of the fun.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    pmuldowney
    Participant

I understand that gettget an edge takes work – which is relative. Using a system like this is much easier and faster than honing on flat ceramics. My biggest problem is getting a consistent angle.

Marc H

Using a system like this is much easier and faster than honing on flat ceramics. My biggest problem is getting a consistent angle.

I don’t know if this is true.  With a two sided flat stone a few alternating strokes to each side of the stone and to each side of the knife you can call it sharp.  The WE is a better and more precise way to getting those consistent angles, and super sharp edges, repeatedly.  But easier???  I guess the term is relative.  The sharpening process with the WE certainly takes longer, is more intricate and more involved.  I think those of us that have gotten into this do it not because it’s easier but because we enjoy the process, the involvement and definitely the results.  Like Organic said “it’s all part of the fun.”

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

pmuldowney
    Participant

I think that you guys saved me the $1000.  Much easier and cheaper to send them out for sharpening.

Thanks for the help guys.

Marc H

Unless your looking for a time consuming and committed hobby, send them out.  Before you buy a system. Send a couple of your good knives out to Josh at Razor’s Edge Knife Sharpening.  He’s one of us that has made a profession out of sharpening knives and he uses the WEPS along with other methods.  He’s renowned for his beautiful work.  Use a knife he sharpens for you on the WEPS, (make sure you request he uses the WEPS).  Maybe you’ll decide you would like to be able to this for yourself, your family and friends.

pmuldowney,  I didn’t mean to scare you off.   I just want you to understand exactly how it is and not make a bad decision.  I’m sitting here watching the Daytona 500 Preshow while sharpening knives.  It’ll be a good day if I get two, never sharpened before, knives done.  For me to do three knives in a day, I’d be pushing hard.  For me this is a labor of love, and a form of meditation or a “Zen Experience”.  It’s not a quick and easy way to sharpen knives well.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

Alan
    Participant
    • Topics: 15
    • Replies: 206

I’m sitting here watching the Daytona 500 Preshow while sharpening knives. It’ll be a good day if I get two, never sharpened before, knives done. For me to do three knives in a day, I’d be pushing hard. For me this is a labor of love, and a form of meditation or a “Zen Experience”. It’s not a quick and easy way to sharpen knives well.

I agree with Marc, completely. A fine edge takes some time.  “Zen Experience”…yep, it’s there.  I enjoy my sharpening time. For faster, less precision  sharpening, a grinder or belt sander work well (I’ve both).  Sharpest and most refined edge I’ve found is produced with the WE.

PS  – WE –  What’s up with the publically displayed editing changes?  Folks often misspell a word or two, or make a small change.

Alan

• This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by Alan.
    Marc H

PS – WE – What’s up with the publically displayed editing changes? Folks often misspell a word or two, or make a small change.

Alan when you make an edit there is a “checked square” down below and on the left of the post box, where you are given the choice to log edits, (by default it’s checked), or you can un-check the square not to record the edits.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

3 users thanked author for this post.
    sksharp
    Participant
    • Topics: 9
    • Replies: 408

I think that you guys saved me the $1000. Much easier and cheaper to send them out for sharpening. Thanks for the help guys.

These are difficult discussions simply because of each individual definition of what a sharp knife is and means to each of us. I think that if you are sharpening for practical use and ease of maintenance the WE saves an incredible amount of time, at least that has been my experience. Most, not all but most, of the hand sharpened knives that I have run into are made scary sharp simply by the acute angle that most are sharpened at. These can be very delicate and hard to maintain requiring constant sharpening meaning more wear on the knife. When the right angle or angles are used to the proper grit progression on the WE the edge retention has blown me away compared to any other sharpening method that I’ve been privy to anyway. This in itself saves a boat load of time.

The WE is limited to absolutes as is any sharpening method, such as blade geometry and steel types but in my mind is simply the best and quickest way to sharpen almost any blade. Like any hobby it is fun to see how far you can go and in doing so makes you better in the process so time is a necessity no matter what the pursuit if you are looking to constantly improve.

While I love the GEN 3 clamp, I’m confident that you would be impressed with the results from the WE GO and a set of strops. There are options that are less money and I’m sure whatever WE system you choose you would love it.

Organic
    Participant
    • Topics: 17
    • Replies: 929

It all depends on what your aim is when sharpening a knife. You don’t have to spend hours working a blade if you only care about having a great working edge. That can be done in 10-15 minutes once you’re familiar with the system. If this is your approach then I think that you might be well suited by the GO model with a few extra stones and a set of strops. The GO will require slightly more time to clamp the knife, but can achieve probably 95% of the sharpness that you would get from the more expensive systems.

If you’re wanting to get a mirrored edge or an edge capable of whittling hair, you can expect to spend a lot more time sharpening each knife and you’ll benefit from the additional features of the more expensive Wicked Edge setups.

If you only anticipate sharpening your knives a few times a year then sending them out to be sharpened can be a good option. On the other hand, if you do it yourself with a Wicked Edge, you can maintain the knives easily in between full sharpening sessions, you can optimize the performance of the knife by trying different angles, grind types (V-grind, V-grind with a micro bevel, convex) and finishes , and you don’t have to worry about someone damaging your knives by doing a poor sharpening job.

Josh-L
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 13

I’m trying to sell my WE120 with base if you want to start cheap and see if you like sharpening your own before dropping $1k. That’s exactly what I did and now upgrading to the gen 3 pro.

pmuldowney
    Participant

HowHmuch are you looking to sell for? I’ve gone back and forth with my decisions… So tough.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.