Advanced Search

Case knife

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Brewbear
    Participant
    • Topics: 7
    • Replies: 168

Very nice work !

Danny
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 26

Thanks brewbear  I am working on my buck knife had some surface rust on it super eraser took it off like a charm. Sharpening it right now with a 16° bevel and I’m going to  convex the edge to 18°.  It chips to easy at 16° which is the way it came from factory, so hopefully convexing the bevel will help it out.  Got to 1500 last night but ran out of time.  When i get home tonight I will strop it then do the edge to the 18° that I want.  Forgot pictures before I started but will put some up after I finish.  Thanks guys.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Marc H
    • Topics: 74
    • Replies: 2735

Danny, in an attempt to help you with the terminology or nomenclature for what I believe you are describing that you intend to do:

To apply a wider angled bevel to the very edge or apex of a knife sharpened already with a more acute angle profile, is called a micro-bevel. A micro-bevel is generally applied with a few very light pressure strokes to widen the angle of contact of the knife’s cutting edge to give it stability and durability while maintaining the thinness and other cutting attributes of the underlying more acute, narrower angled bevel profile.

If the wider bevel is applied with too much pressure, effort and steel removal it simply becomes a re-profiled knife edge at the new wider angle.

Where-as convexing the edge is actually applying a variable angled bevel from the knife apex through to the shoulder and blending this as a smooth curve.  This edge would still be 16 dps at the knife edge or apex and gradually widen in it’s profile as you move closer to the shoulder curving to the 18 dps bevel. The apex is still at the original narrow profiled angle of 16 dps.

If you are indeed intending to convex the knife edge, tcmeyer does have a YouTube Video showing how he did this with his Gen 3 Pro.

Marc
    (MarcH's Rack-Its)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Danny
    Participant
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 26

Thanks for that Marc.  I was reading how to do it on the knowledge base but now I just watched the video and that is exactly what I want to do to my buck knife.  Thanks again.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.